On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 21:47:27 -0400
Randy Kramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribbled intuitively:

>> Yes, yes.  AbiWord can export as either .rtf or .doc.  It was kword
>that I> was pointing out can NOT export in .doc (though I believe it will
>in> .rtf).
>
>Mike,
>
>Sorry, what I said was poorly phrased.  Actually, AFAIK, AbiWord cannot
>export .doc, but exports .rtf.  IIRC, users on the abiword lists
>requested that the .rtf be given a .doc extension by default so that
>Word can import what AbiWord exports.
>
>It's a pretty technical distinction that won't make any difference in
>most cases.

Hi Randy,

        Not to beat this to death, but I tried this littl experiment just now.  I
opened a document in AbiWord (0.99.7) that had a .aw extension (from
Applixware).  Went to "save as", and saved it as a .doc file [yes, it's
one of the options, along with .rtf and a half dozen others].  I then
closed AbiWord and opened StarOffice 6.0beta.  Found the new file with a
.doc extension and it was identified as a MSWord .doc (even at the little
M$ symbol next to the file name).  BTW, SO opened it instantly and
flawlessly (SO can neither import or export .aw extensions).  Try it if
you have a 0.99.x version of AbiWord.

Cheers,  :o)

Mike

--
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that
fool you....., he really is an idiot."

-Groucho Marx