On Monday 06 May 2002 05:17, Tommy Eaton opened a general hailing frequency
and transmitted to all open stations:

> Hi all,
>
> I was chatting with my dad the other night about his adventures with
> Windows XP.  He starts out with "Man, I hate Microsoft!"
>
> :-D
>
> Ok, so now what?  I mentioned Mandrake to him and he seems interested...
> However, I don't know where to point him.  What applications should I
> suggest?  And for support, should I just point him to this list?  He
> knows just enough to be dangerous (would "Interactive Bastille" help with
> that? - you know, something to protect yourself from yourself)...
> Unfortunately he doesn't live local so I couldn't set it up for him
> (unless somehow over the net?).   I'm very much a newbie to this
> operating system, and Linux and general.  But if you have any ideas how
> to help the process of a 50 year old Dad interested in a Microsoft
> alternative, please let me know.  Thanks!

one thing you might try if you are not sure how he will take to linux is to
simply burn a SuSE live eval CD.  (the only thing SuSE is better than
mandrake for)  that way he can try it out without even making a dual boot.
if he likes it go for the dual boot.

be sure to point out that while linux is generally more stable/performs
better, it can be (though not always) less friendly/harder to setup certain
apps, and treat it as a "try it and see" and you will likely make a sale
(so to speak).  treat it like the second coming and he will not be
impressed.....

....just ask lucas how episode I lived up to the hype.  ;-)

--
"Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies."

shane
Profile at: http://dmoz.org/profiles/shen.html
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98
Mandrake Users Club Member http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/club/