On Tuesday 28 May 2002 18:05, daRcmaTTeR wrote:
> On Tue, 28 May 2002, Robin Turner wrote:

> > > Hi Pupeno,
> > >
> > > The error you're getting means that X isn't setup correctly on
> > > your machine. what version did you install on your machine. X
> > > and your vid card and/or the monitor aren't getting along very
> > > well.
> > >
> > > as for your X config file goes...once you've got X installed
> > > and configured correctly for your system leave that puppy alone
> > > or bad thing can and will happen. there really isn't anything
> > > to "clean" out or it.
> >
> > I got this once I think it was after a power cut resulted in file
> > corruption (this was before I switched to a journalling filing
> > system).  Try reconfiguring X using xf86config.  If that doesn't
> > work, try reinstalling X, then reconfiguring.
> >
> > Sir Robin
>
> It might be a wee bit easier for him to use setuptools in a
> terminal then to actually try to use xf86config. I never did like
> that X config tool. My first experience with that monster was
> RedHat 5.2 5 years ago. didn't like it then and I really think it
> stinks now. course then, there wasn't a lot of different ways to
> take care of configuring X in those days.

Heh heh, don't I just remember!  Configuration procedure:

$> xf86config
$> cd /etc/X11
$> emacs XF86Config

I'd not noticed setuptool before - very handy.

Sir Robin
--
"The reason we come up with new versions is not to fix bugs. It's
absolutely not.

Robin Turner
IDMYO, Bilkent Universitesi
Ankara 06533