On Tue, 28 May 2002, Robin Turner wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 May 2002 18:05, daRcmaTTeR wrote:

> > > I got this once I think it was after a power cut resulted in file
> > > corruption (this was before I switched to a journalling filing
> > > system).  Try reconfiguring X using xf86config.  If that doesn't
> > > work, try reinstalling X, then reconfiguring.
> > >
> > > Sir Robin
> >
> > It might be a wee bit easier for him to use setuptools in a
> > terminal then to actually try to use xf86config. I never did like
> > that X config tool. My first experience with that monster was
> > RedHat 5.2 5 years ago. didn't like it then and I really think it
> > stinks now. course then, there wasn't a lot of different ways to
> > take care of configuring X in those days.
>
> Heh heh, don't I just remember!  Configuration procedure:
>
> $> xf86config
> $> cd /etc/X11
> $> emacs XF86Config
>
> I'd not noticed setuptool before - very handy.
>
> Sir Robin

man! xf86config + emacs...does _that_ ever bring back memories. scary ones
at that. which is what took me to the point of finding setuptools.
although in those days it wasn't called that. IN RedHat it was and is
called setup. I didn't discover it to be called setuptools till I loaded
Mandrake 7.0 some years back. t'was a life saver for my sanity.In those
days the hardware I was running was quite generic and the support for some
things wasn't what it is now. so configuring X on cheap machines was at
best quite problematic.

Mark