On Wednesday 29 May 2002 09:52, you wrote:
> Michael Adams wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 May 2002 13:58, FemmeFatale wrote:
> > > I've run 8.0, 8.1 & now 8.2.  Always I've accepted the default
> > > install partitions of root (/), swap & home.
> > >
> > > the one time I tried on 8.0 to make a boot, root, swap, var &
> > > other partitions, the boot partition was blank.  As a result
> > > the root directory had a  boot directory beneath it holding the
> > > boot files.  I was stumped.
> > >
> > > Is this standard behaviour or did I screw something up? *not
> > > that that'd be the first time I manage to FUBAR a system.*
> > >
> > > TIA

Just my penny's worth.

First I know nothing about mixed file systems,all mine have been in
ext2.

If you have a /boot partition created , all my experience is that
DrakX know's exactly what to do, the only proviso I can think of is
that on the first OS install you have to manually select the partition
you have created for the /boot partition and define it from a
dropdown list in th DrakX partition tool menu. On the second Linux OS
install it is already designated /boot partition, in the same way as
/swap is already designated as such, you merely select another
partition and designate the / for this partition and that is where
the second linux OS's binaries  are installed.

Now, I have never bothered myself with /home  and /var  partitions,
but I bet DrakX know's about them too and will avoid interefering
with them.

Femme it's hard to guess what has gone wrong for you without being
physically present as you are doing these things, but all I can say
is that I have now done perhaps 40 or 50 dual linux , with at least
one windows install , I always go the /boot /root /swap method and I
haven't once had a failure to install the kernel and initrd files in
the designated /boot partition, therefore I suspect somewhere along
the line you are not correctly telling DrakX where the /boot
partition is, the result is that it merely resorts to plan B and
sticks them in the /root partition as a subdirectory of /.

I cannot remember whether you ever said that you also run at least
one windows OS, like I do, but if you don't , then there is no
Windows MBR for lilo, but if this is the case then just possibly in
some way it might affect the outcome for you, it's hard to see why,
but I am trying to think of ways that may mean a difference . I don't
really hold much truck with this possibility , after all where the
bootloader lilo goes ought not to affect in any way the way DrakX
decides where to put your kernels and initrd files .

The only other suggestion I can think of is that next time you have a
try, write down a step by step ,blow by blow account of how you went
about creating the partitions and designating them, not forgetting to
let us know which partition tools you use etc.  I take it you are not
having any trouble with your lilo installs.

regards,
John

--
John Richard Smith