friendly flames?  like friendly fire?  :)

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 09:13 am, Dave Conroy opened a general hailing
frequency and transmitted to all open stations:

> Mandrake may save me £500 short term, but the projected on going
> support and staff training costs would be too much for most small to
> mid sized enterprises. People don't know Linux. Windows is expensive
> up front, but has lowish support costs as most people are familiar
> with it (yes, there is a cost issue re. potential virus problems,
> etc).

a few recent studies show that linux has a lower total cost of ownership
than windows.  i do _not_ recall if this was with virus factors figured in.
the very few groups i know that have made the change found it is more
difficult (by far) to teach a person from scratch than to teach them to use
a different OS.  one person actually commented that his biggest problem was
teaching ppl to click once rather than double click to start things from
the desktop.  if that is your biggest problem.....

also remember, with the new MS forced upgrade system, you buy everything,
every release, use it or not.  the (very) long term cost of using windows
is a lack of innovative products and a monopoly that wants to bleed you
dry.  i would rather retrain people, but like you said, just an opinion.
;)

--
I knew I'd been living in Berkeley too long when I saw a sign that said
"free firewood" and I said "who is firewood and what did he do?"

shane
Profile at: http://dmoz.org/profiles/shen.html
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98
Mandrake Users Club Member http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/club/