On Wednesday 29 May 2002 1:18 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> I have never managed to get to grips with the linux method of OS
> backups.
>
> It goes without saying they are big files, with the need to create
> compressed multi CD writes.
>
> So how do you backup Linux OS's , write them to CD, and restore.
>
> The only utility I know of is dump , it's command line, which scares
> me stiff where backups are conscerned, all that time and effort spent
> configuring your OS,  and it can so easily go wrong, but still there
> is a time for all men to learn and perhaps this is mine.
>
> One thing to consider, I am dual linux booting,and therefore have
> /boot  /root /swap partitions.  Do I create seperate backups for
> each, or one big backup file . Obviously one doesn't back up the
> /swap partiton.
>
> Hitherto I have always used a drive image programme.
>
> John

Two solutions for you John

1/ Mondo  http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/
It is on your CD's but I think the latest version is better. It will comoress
and copy your image to multiple CDs
Very hihjly spoken of, but I'm afraid it is command line.

2/ drakbackup  - It is in the rpm drakxtools on your CD
In a root terminal just type drakbackup and you get a nice little GUI
complete with a wizard.
I have no idea why this application is not in Mandrake Control Centre. It was
in there in Mandrake 8.2beta2, but somehow it got taken out again.

HTH

derek