On Wednesday 29 May 2002 4:44 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 May 2002 12:48, you wrote:
> > > So how do you backup Linux OS's , write them to CD, and restore.
> >
> > Two solutions for you , John
> >
> > 1/ Mondo  http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/
> > It is on your CD's but I think the latest version is better. It
> > will comoress and copy your image to multiple CDs
> > Very hihjly spoken of, but I'm afraid it is command line.
> >
> > 2/ drakbackup  - It is in the rpm drakxtools on your CD
> > In a root terminal just type drakbackup and you get a nice little
> > GUI complete with a wizard.
> > I have no idea why this application is not in Mandrake Control
> > Centre. It was in there in Mandrake 8.2beta2, but somehow it got
> > taken out again.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > derek
>
> Thanks Derek,
> I've found drakbackup and I am downloading right now Mondo.
>
> One thing puzzles me though. I can see how these programmes can from
> the desktop so to speak create backup files , and I can see how they
> might write to disc from desktop, but I cannot see how one restores
> from CD still in the desktop. You are asking the system to write over
> it's own existance, so to speak. All other restore backup programmes
> I have ever worked with create a mini OS in memory of the basic
> hardware and load a small graphical programme into memory as well, to
> do the restore.
>
> Can someone please explain this to me.
>
> John

Well in the case of Mondo the first CD in the set it creates is a bootable CD
with its own mini Linux distro on it.  You just boot from that CD and then
you can restore partions,directories or the entire installation.  Trouble
with Mondo is it needs 7 CD's for my system so I cannot be bothered running
it very often.

Your post reminded me to take a closer look at drakbackup which I had not
looked at since the 8.2beta2.  Drakbackup makes an incremental backup to ftp,
or a Directory (local or NFS) at present. It does not backup to CD, and it
only backs up home directories, the /etc directory and other directories you
specify.  The thinking there is you can restore the other folders by
installing again from your install CD's so you only need to backup the
'volatile' data.
Drakbackup can be run from the GUI or the terminal, although I have not been
able to get it to run in a cron job yet.

derek