SNIP
> > Well in the case of Mondo the first CD in the set it creates is a
> > bootable CD with its own mini Linux distro on it.  You just boot
> > from that CD and then you can restore partions,directories or the
> > entire installation.  Trouble with Mondo is it needs 7 CD's for my
> > system so I cannot be bothered running it very often.
>
> Now that explains it.
> I've downloaded and installed Mondo and Mini, (I though this was a
> Robbin Williams joke , at first)  Have yet to create the bootdisks, I
> assume like the others backup programmes of this type you can do the
> whole lot in this mode, if you want, which would mean that once you
> have created the CD then you could remove the programme from desktop
> if you so wish. However from my point of view this seems to have the
> two obvious poor points that it is both commandline only,and more
> importantly ,has poor compression, but it's not to be ruled out.

SNIP

Mondo actually does quite good compression. You can set it for up to 7 levels
of compression. I think my problem is in defining the partitions to back up.
I think it tries to back up my Windows partition as well which in turn has a
backup image of my sons computer. (He is still in 'transit' from Windows to
Linux)  Its hard to know with Mondo what it is going to backup until it
actually does it. I am clearly doing something wrong since even by excluding
almost every directory in sight it still makes a backup of 5 CDs

derek