On Wednesday 29 May 2002 17:30, you wrote:

> > Thanks Derek,
> > I've found drakbackup and I am downloading right now Mondo.
> >
> > One thing puzzles me though. I can see how these programmes can
> > from the desktop so to speak create backup files , and I can see
> > how they might write to disc from desktop, but I cannot see how
> > one restores from CD still in the desktop. You are asking the
> > system to write over it's own existance, so to speak. All other
> > restore backup programmes I have ever worked with create a mini
> > OS in memory of the basic hardware and load a small graphical
> > programme into memory as well, to do the restore.
> >
> > Can someone please explain this to me.
> >
> > John
>
> Well in the case of Mondo the first CD in the set it creates is a
> bootable CD with its own mini Linux distro on it.  You just boot
> from that CD and then you can restore partions,directories or the
> entire installation.  Trouble with Mondo is it needs 7 CD's for my
> system so I cannot be bothered running it very often.

Now that explains it.
I've downloaded and installed Mondo and Mini, (I though this was a
Robbin Williams joke , at first)  Have yet to create the bootdisks, I
assume like the others backup programmes of this type you can do the
whole lot in this mode, if you want, which would mean that once you
have created the CD then you could remove the programme from desktop
if you so wish. However from my point of view this seems to have the
two obvious poor points that it is both commandline only,and more
importantly ,has poor compression, but it's not to be ruled out.

> Your post reminded me to take a closer look at drakbackup which I
> had not looked at since the 8.2beta2.  Drakbackup makes an
> incremental backup to ftp, or a Directory (local or NFS) at
> present. It does not backup to CD, and it only backs up home
> directories, the /etc directory and other directories you specify.
> The thinking there is you can restore the other folders by
> installing again from your install CD's so you only need to backup
> the 'volatile' data.
> Drakbackup can be run from the GUI or the terminal, although I have
> not been able to get it to run in a cron job yet.

Now I like the gui , seems simple enough, and I got it doing
something, but as a system backup it hardly equates. The whole point
of creating an OS backup is to do away with all those hours of
install and configuration. The aim is to create a pristine new
install with everything in apple pie order, and back it up to discs
so that you can replace it anytime you want in a few minutes,
PQ drive image would take about half an hour to do an OS of about
2.5gigs and I suppose I am looking for a replacement in the linux
world in this manner. I guess one does not exist ?
Another problem with drakbackup appears that it is unable to create
multiple disk files for writing to CD discs. I mean 2.5 to 3.0gigs of
OS even with full compression is at least 2 discs worth in any backup
system.

To date no one has mentioned dump. Anyone know anything about this
programme. Is it any use for OS backups.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]