On Friday 31 May 2002 11:26 am, daRcmaTTeR did speak unto the huddled
masses, saying:

> On Fri, 31 May 2002, Miark wrote:
> > I'm sure the NSA could crack any PGP e-mail in a minute or two
> > if they wanted to.
> >
> > Miark
>
> i'm quite sure you're correct.

i doubt that.  it is simply a matter of raw math.
http://senderek.de/security/secret-key.protection.html

in short if they had a super computer than can only be imagined today (not
built) it would take hundreds of years to guess a key.

or to quote another page:

To recover a particular (128 bit) key, one must, on average, search half the
keyspace. That is 127 bits:

170,141,183,460,469,231,731,687,303715,884,105,728.

If you had 1,000,000,000 machines that could try 1,000,000,000 keys/sec, it
would still take all these machines longer than the universe as we know it
has existed and then some, to find the key. IDEA, as far as present
technology is concerned, is not vulnerable to brute-force attack, pure and
simple.

the key size i use (again only once in awhile, but i use it) will take
300,000,000,000,000,000,000 MIPS-years to factor.  let them break that in
2-3 minutes.

as for backdoors, do you think they could do that to an open source project?
nobody would notice?  nah.....

--
When everyone agrees around here, it means that something must be wrong.

shane
Profile at: http://dmoz.org/profiles/shen.html
Proud to be a DMOZ editor since 10-98
Mandrake Users Club Member http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/club/