On Fri, 31 May 2002, Tom Brinkman wrote:

> On Friday 31 May 2002 10:55 am, Miark wrote:
> > > I find it interesting that they made no mention of the efforts of
> > > the NSA to develop a very very secure linux or the adjustments
> > > necessary to the standards to accommodate it.  It is about as
> > > spy-proof as software gets by the spies themselves...  NSA has
> > > issued a completed source for the kernel and security routines
> > > (37 Mb download) and I think you can guess we will be looking
> > > carefully at it for possible incorporation.
> > >
> > > Civileme
> >
> > That seems inconsistent with their "we want a back door to Winsux"
> > behavior. Why would the NSA want us normal folk to have very secure
> > machines? Doesn't that just make their sky games more difficult?
> >
> > Miark
>
>     Visit   http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/    (very interesting)
> "The National Security Agency is the Nation's [USA] cryptologic
> organization. It coordinates, directs, and performs highly
> specialized activities to protect U.S. information systems and
> produce foreign intelligence information."
>
> "Linux was chosen as the platform for this work because its growing
> success and open development environment provided an opportunity to
> demonstrate that this functionality can be successful in a mainstream
> operating system and, at the same time, contribute to the security of
> a widely used system. Additionally, the integration of these security
> research results into Linux may encourage additional operating system
> security research that may lead to additional improvement in system
> security."
>
> Your tax dollars at work ... betch'a Billy G's fixin to have a baby ;)

Ya know Tom - <ginning broadly and chest puffed out with Pride>, it's
things like this that give me such a sense of pride. I LOVE being a
Linuxer. I'm downing loading SELinux as I write this and I can't wait to
get home from work to being putting it all together!

I've never build a linux system from scratch before, but I think its time
that I did.

--
Mark
a.k.a. daRcmaTTeR