June 7, 2002 01:00 pm, Paul Rodriguez wrote:
> I have to say, I really love using Galeon.  I never really saw the use
> in it till I tried it a little.  It's just so much faster (being a
> gtk-native mozilla basically).  And I really love having those quick
> search bars.  But after downloading and installing the latest mozilla,
> galeon crashes as soon as I open it.  I tried upgrading, but there were
> so many dependencies.
>
> If I use the mandrake rpm's:
>
> error: failed build dependencies:
>       GConf-devel >= 1.0.4 is needed by galeon-1.2.1-2mdk
>       libglade-devel is needed by galeon-1.2.1-2mdk
>       gnome-vfs-devel is needed by galeon-1.2.1-2mdk
>       mozilla-devel = 1.0 is needed by galeon-1.2.1-2mdk
>
> And that last one doesn't even exist for Mandrake yet.
>
> If I try the galeon source I get:
>
> configure: error:
> *** GNOME 1.2.8 or better is required.
> *** gdk-pixbuf 0.11.0 or better is required.
> *** gnome-vfs 1.0.1 or better is required.
> *** libglade 0.13 or better is required.
> *** libxml 1.8.14 or better is required.
> *** oaf 0.6.5 or better is required.
>

> And ideas?
>
> - Paul Rodriguez
<snip>
The best advice that I can give you is options; probably none of which will
be to your liking:

Don't upgrade Mozilla until there's an RPM from Mandrake that satisfies all
dependencies required, or;

Don't use Galeon if you want the newest version of Mozilla, or;

Keep an eye on Ximian for their update that will (probably) include Mozilla1
and a new version of Galeon that uses it.

Something I'm not certain of would be the possibility of building Galeon from
source with Mozilla1 installed. I'll try and figure out how this may work or
if it will this weekend. Just for grins 'n' giggles ya see.

I ain't a developer by any stretch; and while I may hack my own system to
death I won't touch, or recommend anything such as that for someone else's.
This machine; while the only one I have at home, is not any kind of "mission
critical" system. I play with it and learn by doing/trying (back-ups are my
friend) plus I have 4 60 GB hard drives to play the "back-up, fiddle 'til ya
kill it; then restore from back-up" game with. Not a luxury many people would
have available I'd be thinking.

If I kill an install it doesn't take long to recover most times.
--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada