On Friday 07 June 2002 8:40 pm, Charlie wrote:

> Don't upgrade Mozilla until there's an RPM from Mandrake that
> satisfies all dependencies required, or;

There's now a Mozilla 1.0.0 set of RPMs in Cooker*. The big problem
(which isn't going to go away now that MandrakeSoft has switched to gcc
3.1.x, rather than gcc 2.9.x, for building Mandrake packages) is that
the new version of gcc has to be installed from the Cooker first as the
Mozilla 1.0.0 set depends on gcc 3.1.x and won't install without it.

You need four files for Mozilla:

mozilla-1.0.0-1mdk.i586.rpm
mozilla-mail-1.0.0-1mdk.i586.rpm
libnspr4-1.0.0-1mdk.i586.rpm
libnss3-1.0.0-1mdk.i586.rpm

and a mass of files for gcc:

binutils-2.12.90.0.7-2mdk.i586.rpm
gcc-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
gcc-c++-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
gcc-colorgcc-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
gcc-cpp-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
gcc-doc-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
gcc-g77-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
gcc-java-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
gcc-objc-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
gcj-tools-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
libf2c0-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
libgcc1-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
libgcj3.1-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
libgcj3.1-devel-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
libgcj3.1-static-devel-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
libobjc3.1-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
libstdc++3.1-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
libstdc++3.1-devel-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
libstdc++3.1-static-devel-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm

The drill is:

1. remove mozilla 0.9.8 (as per the 8.2 distribution) with:

urpme mozilla
urpme mozilla-mail

By the by this'll remove galeon as it's a dependency; this is a good
thing as it'll be redundant in any case;

2. install gcc. I did this by putting all the gcc-related files above
into a new directory then doing

urpmi.addmedia gcc31 <new directory>
urpmi *

(I got two dependencies unresolved when doing this; they were both
related to binutils and I couldn't resolve them, so I installed anyway
and there appear to be no difficulties).

3. install mozilla 1.00 thus:

cd <mozilla directory>
urpmi.update <short name>
urpmi mozilla-mail
urpmi mozilla

[Disclaimer; in 1 and 3 I can't remember whether mozilla-mail was
removed/added with mozilla, so that step might be redundant].

> Don't use Galeon if you want the newest version of Mozilla, or;
>
> Keep an eye on Ximian for their update that will (probably) include
> Mozilla1 and a new version of Galeon that uses it.
>
> Something I'm not certain of would be the possibility of building
> Galeon from source with Mozilla1 installed. I'll try and figure out
> how this may work or if it will this weekend. Just for grins 'n'
> giggles ya see.

For me a compile from source has always collapsed fairly early on in the
past. However, there's currently no galeon for Mozilla 1.0.0 in any
case (see galeon.sourceforge.net) so no rush :)

Alastair

*
<ftp://sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/>

- --
Alastair Scott (London, United Kingdom)
http://www.unmetered.org.uk/