June 7, 2002 01:58 pm, Alastair Scott wrote:
> On Friday 07 June 2002 8:40 pm, Charlie wrote:
> > Don't upgrade Mozilla until there's an RPM from Mandrake that
> > satisfies all dependencies required, or;
>
> There's now a Mozilla 1.0.0 set of RPMs in Cooker*. The big problem
> (which isn't going to go away now that MandrakeSoft has switched to gcc
> 3.1.x, rather than gcc 2.9.x, for building Mandrake packages) is that
> the new version of gcc has to be installed from the Cooker first as the
> Mozilla 1.0.0 set depends on gcc 3.1.x and won't install without it.
>
> You need four files for Mozilla:
>
> mozilla-1.0.0-1mdk.i586.rpm
> mozilla-mail-1.0.0-1mdk.i586.rpm
> libnspr4-1.0.0-1mdk.i586.rpm
> libnss3-1.0.0-1mdk.i586.rpm
>
> and a mass of files for gcc:
>
> binutils-2.12.90.0.7-2mdk.i586.rpm
> gcc-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> gcc-c++-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> gcc-colorgcc-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> gcc-cpp-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> gcc-doc-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> gcc-g77-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> gcc-java-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> gcc-objc-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> gcj-tools-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> libf2c0-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> libgcc1-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> libgcj3.1-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> libgcj3.1-devel-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> libgcj3.1-static-devel-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> libobjc3.1-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> libstdc++3.1-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> libstdc++3.1-devel-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
> libstdc++3.1-static-devel-3.1.1-0.2mdk.i586.rpm
>
> The drill is:
>
> 1. remove mozilla 0.9.8 (as per the 8.2 distribution) with:
>
> urpme mozilla
> urpme mozilla-mail
>
> By the by this'll remove galeon as it's a dependency; this is a good
> thing as it'll be redundant in any case;
>
> 2. install gcc. I did this by putting all the gcc-related files above
> into a new directory then doing
>
> urpmi.addmedia gcc31 <new directory>
> urpmi *
>
> (I got two dependencies unresolved when doing this; they were both
> related to binutils and I couldn't resolve them, so I installed anyway
> and there appear to be no difficulties).
>
> 3. install mozilla 1.00 thus:
>
> cd <mozilla directory>
> urpmi.update <short name>
> urpmi mozilla-mail
> urpmi mozilla
>
> [Disclaimer; in 1 and 3 I can't remember whether mozilla-mail was
> removed/added with mozilla, so that step might be redundant].
>
> > Don't use Galeon if you want the newest version of Mozilla, or;
> >
> > Keep an eye on Ximian for their update that will (probably) include
> > Mozilla1 and a new version of Galeon that uses it.
> >
> > Something I'm not certain of would be the possibility of building
> > Galeon from source with Mozilla1 installed. I'll try and figure out
> > how this may work or if it will this weekend. Just for grins 'n'
> > giggles ya see.
>
> For me a compile from source has always collapsed fairly early on in the
> [...]
Thanks Alastair!

I added this to my (growing rapidly! :-)) "answers" directory.

I'll tackle it your way this weekend just for fun. The way I installed
Mozilla1 before worked though, and it's still working.

Galeon? I don' need no steenkin' Galeon. ;-) But I'll probably download the
source and try tearing it apart just to see what's what. I'll have to see how
to do a "side by each" comparison that makes sense though.

Disk space isn't in short supply after all. <grin>
--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada