On Saturday 08 June 2002 13:16, you wrote:

> As great it is that people try make RPM's of Mplayer for public
> use, but I still have to see 1 really successful build that works
> on all systems. In my opinion there is none.. Mplayer builds to
> YOUR system.. depending on what software / hardware you have. It's
> not as simple as a simple binary, but a carefully built package
> designed for performance. You see, they could build DeCss supprt
> in, but what point does that have if a user doesn't even have a DVD
> player?
>
> Go tho the Mplayer site, download the tarball (new release today)
> and read the docs, and there should be no problems. Yes it does
> take time at first, I give you that, but at least then you have a
> working MPlayer ;-)
>
> Greetings
> Ralph

OK so there are no good rpm versions, so I have to compile from tar
balls.
I've just spent 2 hours reading all the bumf on Mplayer website, and
I must say there is so much of it it is hard to take it all in in one
hit.

It seems to me leaving aside esotyeric things like skins, there is
only the one MPlayer-0.90pre5.tar.bz file to compile and install.
Does this actually mean it's all there, you know, encription,
conversion, etc etc, the bits that really do matter and make the
programme all it is,because it seems a small download for a tar file
and for there to be everything that  you might conceiveably want.
As I say I'm not particularly interested in sky blue pink graphics
but I do want all the really important encription conversion
stuff,(eg. DVD to DivX) and preferably in a gui guise.

John
--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]