On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Tom Bednarchuk wrote:

> Ok so I'll go get the first tarball and install and then move the DRM source
> to the previously described directory ? Assuming that is true, then I build
> the DRM and then rebuild the XFree86 ?
>
> Thanks for your help so far

Tom,
my understanding for RH7.2 systems is that you need to do what you mention
above in order to get the XF86-4.2, which has the complete DRI
infrastructure including loadable modules for 3D acceleration, you have
to:
1. follow the procedure outlined above in order to construct the
DRM-enabled XF86
2. have an actual Kernel which is expecting to interact with a DRM-enabled
XF86.

So you will have to do both those things.

As you have a RH7.2 system and updating it is as easy as:

rpm -Uvh nameof.rpm

and RH provides rpms of the latest kernel and latest XF86 in the rawhide
directories you may find it easiest to just go the RPM route?

HTH,

-Oisin