I'm trying to install newsclipper on a BSDI machine and whenever I type Perl Makefile.PL i get this error message

"syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 4, next 2 tokens "use strict"
syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 8, next 2 tokens "my $home "
syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 13, next 2 tokens "Win32:"
syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 25, next 2 tokens "->"
syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 36, next 2 tokens "my $nccode "
syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 39, next 2 tokens "my $VERSION"
/(\$VERSION =.*?)\n/: nested *?+ in regexp at Makefile.PL line 41. "

 I don't have root access on this machine and only have access to my own directory.  How can I compile this as a single-user without the root account doing it for me?

Thanks