On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Denver wrote:

> I'm trying to install newsclipper on a BSDI machine and whenever I type Perl
>Makefile.PL i get this error message
>
> "syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 4, next 2 tokens "use strict"
> syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 8, next 2 tokens "my $home "
> syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 13, next 2 tokens "Win32:"
> syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 25, next 2 tokens "->"
> syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 36, next 2 tokens "my $nccode "
> syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 39, next 2 tokens "my $VERSION"
> /(\$VERSION =.*?)\n/: nested *?+ in regexp at Makefile.PL line 41. "
>
>  I don't have root access on this machine and only have access to my own directory.
>How can I compile this as a single-user without the root account doing it for me?

        Well, the errors are a whole other kettle of fish, probably an old
version of Perl as David suggested.  As to installing without root, that's
pretty easy.  The normal way to install perl modules is

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install

        To install in your own directory, all you need to do is

perl Makefile.PL prefix=~/perl
make
make test
make install

        Same thing with all the modules NewsClipper depends on (LWP, URI,
etc.).

        Chris Pimlott

-
If you would like to unsubscribe from this mailing list send an email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the body "unsubscribe newsclipperlist
YOUR_EMAIL_ADDRESS" (without the quotes) or use the form provided at
http://www.NewsClipper.com/TechSup.htm#MailingList.