On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Denver wrote:

> I'm trying to install newsclipper on a BSDI machine and whenever I type Perl
>Makefile.PL i get this error message
>
> "syntax error in file Makefile.PL at line 4, next 2 tokens "use strict"

Hm... Looks like the version of perl on your system is ancient. Try running
"type -a perl" to find all the installed perls you have access to. Then try
running one of the other versions on the Makefile.PL.

For example, if "type -a perl" gives this:
  perl is /usr/bin/perl
  perl is /usr/local/bin/perl
try running "/usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL". (The first one is the one that
gets run when you just do "perl Makefile.PL".

>  I don't have root access on this machine and only have access to my own
>  directory.  How can I compile this as a single-user without the root
>  account doing it for me?

If you can't find a version of Perl that works, send mail to root and ask them
to install Perl 5.005 or newer. This is a very reasonable request, and any
good systems would already have it installed.

Good luck,
David