---------------------------------
[34] Healy on his way to Preston
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by redend:
Disappointing news for most of us at RN who wanted to see Healy given a chance but, as
always, we have to trust the judgement of Fergie - the man in the know - and with a
pretty good record on these things.

Preston have paid a club record fee "in excess of £1.5million" to bring David Healy
from Manchester United. Its a loan deal initially to beat the lunchtime deadline for
permanent signings so that he can be available for the matches against Sheffield
United tomorrow and Bolton on New Year's Day.

Preston manager David Moyes:
"I have been trying for weeks and now we've got someone we think highly of. He is only
21 and fits into the type of player we want at the club. It's the right time, the
right price and he will be a great addition to the squad."

Healy, who spent part of last season on loan to Port Vale, has already broken into the
Northern Ireland side.

Preston chief executive Tony Scholes added: "The supporters know we have been chasing
a striker for some time. I am delighted we have signed someone of David Healy's
quality."

We'll be getting reaction to the transfer from the undisputed expert on developing
youth & reserve players - RED NEWS's correspondent "The Old Fart".

---------------------------------
[33] Pitch inspection latest
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
A few of our operatives desperate to find the score out before early starts from
Manchester have got in touch with Newcastle who have confirmed that the pitch
inspection at St James' will be at or close to 9.30am (that is bloody late though),
but on each phone occasion the Geordies - but beware, keep checking during the morning
on Radio 5 live, and here, of course - have said that with 200 volunteers they are
very confident the game will go ahead tomorrow. Let's just hope the weather doesn't go
too mental tonight.

---------------------------------
[32] Editor's computer problems - part 3926709
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Message from Editor: "Hope you all had a great drunken Christmas and best wishes for
the New Year. Unfortunately a haze of the past few days celebrating everything and
anything has slowed down the sorting out of my computer breakdown from last week - but
I'm still in severe problems as
a) I've lost all my e.mail addresses
b) and any important e.mails that I hadn't as yet replied to (apart from that it all
went well!).
So if anyone I am in regular (or even not) contact with could just send me a quick
e.mail message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] I can then get - don't laugh - my life back
in order!
(Particularly I am trying to get ahold of Stephen R of Japan, Sean H of Boston, big
Fat Kev of, well, any bar, and any good looking women from my past that haven't as yet
decided to boil any rabbits I own).

---------------------------------
[31] Pitch inspection early tomorrow morning
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
There will be a pitch inspection at Newcastle Saturday morning so best to check before
travelling as, apparently, it all depends on just how bad the weather gets in Geordie
Land tonight. We once played there in the 80s with quite a bit of snow on the pitch,
don't think they'd allowed that these days but keep posted for any more news on
whether or not the game will go ahead.

---------------------------------
[30] Paraglider in the Palace - the real story?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Paraglider pilot Brett De La Mare the author from Darwin, Australia, who jumped into
Buckingham Palace has revealed the reasons why, or so some dodgy tapes we brought off
John down the Trafford Centre suggest.

"You see, I am a Manchester city season ticket holder and I can't take them anymore.
They are so crap that I had to launch a protest so that the Queen as sovereign of our
state would do the decent thing and disband the club. If she will ring the head off a
pheasant in the name of humanity what price stopping us Bitters watching Goater and
Wanchope every week"

---------------------------------
[29] Scouse shock!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
'Prison bosses at Liverpool's Walton jail changed all the locks after  a spare set of
keys went missing. The operation cost taxpayers around  £250,000, the Prison Service
confirmed today. It is understood a back-up set was mislaid or stolen sparking fears
that they may have fallen into the wrong hands' (i.e. any Scouser).

'The bunch of keys could open locks within the prison - including  cells - but could
not unlock external doors. More than 1,500  criminals are housed in the category B
prison in Hornby Road, Walton'

---------------------------------
[28] Blanc deal talk over?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
As Laurent Blanc says: "Myself and the club  will decide my future together, after
thinking about everything.  I feel well, physically fit. If I continue to feel well, I
will play for one more season. That would be great (to stay here), but we will decide
together."

---------------------------------
[27] Pay per view on trial - oh no!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
PPV in the Scottish Premier - and it'll be here soon unless it flops.  The marketing
men are out in force with classics such as "it'll  provide fans with more choice".
More choice my arse - it'll be yet  another charge on supporters from those with their
snouts in the  trough. And notice the games chosen - they wouldn't dare choose an Old
Firm game - yet.

The Scottish Premier League have confirmed the dates of their pay-per-view trial
games. SPL chief executive Roger Mitchell said:  "Everyone accepts that pay-per-view
forms part of the evolving  broadcasting environment for football. The SPL and our
clubs believe the responsible way forward is to see  for ourselves what kind of effect
pay-per-view will have on revenues,  viewers and fans before we enter into any
long-term agreement.

Pay-per-view should be about extra choice for football fans. Indeed,  these live
broadcasts will be in addition to existing televised  matches on terrestrial and
satellite channels and will not affect,  for example, the 30 live SPL games Sky Sports
will show this season.  The matches will give fans who either cannot get a ticket or
get to  the game a chance to see specific live matches and will bring in  extra
revenues for the SPL and the clubs.  It's important we get the right balance in what
is a complex area  and all our club chairmen want to have a good look at this product
before committing themselves.

This trial will give us a real insight and will enable viewers to  see more live
games, if they wish, and we'll be sitting down with Sky  in March to discuss future
matches."

Vic Wakeling, managing director of Sky Sports said: "There's a widespread
acknowledgement that the standard of  football in the SPL is higher than it's been for
years, with  internationally-respected players such as Larsson, de Boer, Caniggia  and
Sauzee.  The competitive nature of the league is helping to make this a  fascinating
season in the SPL, so it is a good time for this type of  experiment.  We believe it
will provide valuable information and research for the  long-term benefit of football
in Scotland."

The following games will be available on a pay-per-view basis on Sky
Box Office: St Johnstone vs Celtic, Wednesday 31 January 2001,
8.00pm; Rangers vs Dunfermline, Saturday 3 February 2001, 12.55pm;
Dundee vs Rangers, Saturday, 24 February, 12.55pm; Celtic vs St
Mirren, Saturday 7 April 2001, 12.55pm.

Scottish football fans - you know what you have to do.

---------------------------------
[26] Fuchs off?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
'PSV's Robert Fuchs has admitted that he may be moving to de  Graafschap: "I want to
be loaned for six months  and then be sold. De Graafschap are busy trying to arrange
it and  hopefully they will arrange the financial side of things soon."

No relevance but had to use that headline!

---------------------------------
[25] New boss in training?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
>From the Indy

'Steve McClaren, the assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester  United, is being
given a significant say in new signings. McClaren  now has the responsibility of
helping the scouts to pick out long- term targets for the time when Ferguson moves on
from the manager's  job.'

---------------------------------
[24] Nice people
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
'Hardcore supporters of troubled Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem are  attempting to bring
former chairman Karel Aalbers back to the club by  attacking the homes of members of
club sponsors NUON and publishing  their personal details on the Internet to try to
force them out.

Vitesse currently have a £17 million debt to NUON but Aalbers offered
to buy out the sponsors last week and pledged to pile a total of £30  million into the
club. "I want to liberate the club from the terror  of the sponsor," the former
chairman said.

Supporters have taken his words to heart and are trying to terrorize
NUON into accepting the offer by calling for action on Internet sites  and publishing
telephone numbers and addresses of NUON employees.

The police are now guarding offices and houses of several NUON
executives, after the windows of spokesman Peter Knoers were smashed.
Several board members have been threatened and intimidated forcing
NUON to arrange extra security at their New Year's reception in
Amsterdam on January 2.'

---------------------------------
[23] Old story - but still Fab?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Onefootball cover this story about a fortnight late - we first heard it  from UWS and
it was the Boro game. Funny how Onefootball put the anti-Manchester slant on it at the
end too - onefootball is run by Arse fans we believe - at least judging by the
ridiculous defence of Viera they recently wrote.

'Day Barthez turned red with embarrassment. France goalkeeper Fabien Barthez's arty
side was exposed without his  approval recently after an incident which left him
blushing and his  Manchester United team-mates in hysterics.

Balding Barthez couldn't believe it when his interior designer burst  through Old
Trafford security and rushed into the dressing-room  before United's 1-0 Boxing Day
win over Aston Villa to announce he  needed to discuss a subject of utmost urgency.

The matter in question proved to be the colour of his newly painted  walls and the
keeper, pre-empting the likely reaction of manager Sir  Alex Ferguson, ushered the
designer away as soon as humanely  possible.  The United boys, reduced to fits of
laughter, were reported to have  been further tickled to learn that the paint job had
cost a whopping  £700,000.

Perhaps if Barthez had had the walls done sooner, he would still be  with his
ex-girlfriend, the supermodel Linda Evanglista. She left him  earlier this year
because she couldn't stand Manchester.'

---------------------------------
[22] Same old FA, same old Fuck All
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
No action about the city programme and now confirmation that the FA will take no
action against City after David Beckham was hit by a coin in the derby at Maine Road
last month.

---------------------------------
[21] Mirror journalist is spot on - and we're not joking!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Spot on Des - The Terrace Bandwagon is rolling

"HOEY LOT OF RUBBISH ABOUT TERRACE STAND

THIS IS the time of year when newspapers contain more leftovers and  recycled bits
than a Boxing Day buffet. Reviews of the Year and made  up almanacs for the next one
abound. But even allowing for the lack  of news, the fuss whipped up about the "return
of the terraces" was  downright embarrassing.

Sports Minister, Kate Hoey (below) found herself at the wrong end of  a flood of
misinformation (mostly on TV and radio, it has to be said)  after watching a game at
Hamburg where the high-tech new grandstand  incorporated a standing area.

When asked if it could work in England, she said: "I've got quite an  open mind. What
I want to do is get everyone to look at this. Let's  talk to the clubs, talk to
supporters, and see if the new technology  and the new changes might mean that, at
some stage in the future, it  might be possible in a very-carefully designed pilot."

Reasonable enough, isn't it? She's saying let's have a look. Let's  talk about it. If
it works in Germany isn't it worth considering here? But, for some reason, BBC Radio
Five Live whittered on about  the possibility of Hoey losing her job over this
"gaffe".

Rubbish. She's conducting herself admirably and has realised it's her  job to raise
points for discussion and examine new ideas, not swan  around with her cronies like
some predecessors I can't be bothered to  mention."

---------------------------------
[20] Keith Gillespie wants new start
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
at Wigan from the ex-Red who promised so much.

"I have never lost faith in my ability. I'm just hoping  that scouts come and see me
play and I get the move I need. I want to  get back. I know I should still be playing
at the top level.

When I joined Blackburn I felt very positive about everything. But within nine or 10
months Kidd had been sacked. As I discovered at Newcastle, a change of manager can be
bad news. I think  I played more games in my first three weeks at Wigan than I have
done  under Souness. I have had a few injury problems. I started a game  earlier this
season for Blackburn in the Worthington Cup at Rochdale,  pulled a thigh muscle and
was out for another 5.5 weeks. But I don't  really understand why Souness doesn't
fancy me."

---------------------------------
[19] MUTV to finally strike it rich
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
According to the Mirror.

'MANCHESTER UNITED'S entire Premiership programme will be screened on  Sky, MUTV or
the internet from next season.  The 18-19 games that will not be shown as part of the
Premiership  deal live on Sky or on pay-per-view will be available to a global
audience of 20 million, making it possible that United can earn an  incredible pounds
2billion over the next 10 years from TV alone.

United are set for a pounds 120m share of the new pounds 1.7billion  Premiership deal
over the next three years, but the jackpot comes  from MUTV and the internet.'

---------------------------------
[18] Keano on our clean sheet record
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Check earlier story in the news for those stattos out there (presuming the duffel coat
brigade aren't counting particles in the snow - the Editor of Red News can't even get
to his local bus depot today to log down the latest vehicle numbers it's so cold)
about our clean sheet record.

Roy Keane said: "Keeping clean sheets is what wins you championships.  You have to
keep it tight at the back and we are doing that, but  also we have got people who are
good at putting the ball in the back  of the net.  Hopefully, the other strikers are
on the way back now, Jaap Stam has  also trained and the squad is getting together for
the final push in  the second half of the season because we know it is going to get
harder.  Fabien has been a big influence. He made a great save against Villa.  Saves
like that is the reason we bought him."

---------------------------------
[17] And Joe Royle said
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
City boss Joe Royle said of the confirmed £3.7m deal for Darren Huckerby: "Hopefully,
this is the player to give us  that spark we need to send us climbing the table.  He
has extreme pace and will be a foil who can play with any of our  other three
strikers.  I tried to get him twice in the summer but was told he was not  available.
Obviously, Leeds signing Robbie Keane has changed that.  I know he has not played a
lot of first team football recently. In  fact, his career has probably been on hold
for the last 12 months.  But he is still a player with enormous potential. Everyone
saw that  at Coventry when he scored some fantastic goals and I'm confident he  can do
the same for us."

Now what's that term I'm thinking of, oh yeah, pipe dreams.

David Bernstein said: "We have not worked so hard over the last three years to  throw
it all away. We know what the situation is and what we have to  do to get out of it.
We appreciate we have to speculate to accumulate. We just have to  make sure the odds
are in our favour when we do the deals.  I can understand how the fans feel because
they so badly want us to  do well. Believe me, everybody at this club wants the same
thing.

Everyone has to remember that when Joe first came here, this club  was in a terrible
state. We have all worked hard to pull it round so  we are back in the Premiership and
the balance sheet looks good. Our home form has been letting us down when you
consider the size of crowd we get. Drawing home games is not enough  for us.  I hear
people say this is a weak Premiership. Believe me, it isn't.  Every team in the
division has talented players and the ability to win games. Joe has created a
fantastic spirit here and helped to make  this a unified club. I have complete faith
in what he can do and that  this club will stay in the Premiership."

massive downward spiral man - if they lose tomorrow they will enter the bottom 3. city
are back.

---------------------------------
[16] Chelsea took my virginity
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Not the first man to say that I bet around the Kings Road. This time though it's
GIANLUCA VIALLI saying it.

"Sackings, sooner or later, happen to all managers. This is what I  have been telling
myself.  I just lost a certain kind of virginity very quickly. I had to come  to terms
with victory very quickly early on and have had to come to  terms with a sacking very
quickly.

Despite these positive attitudes, I went through sad days. To be  sacked is a pivotal
event which pushes you to question yourself.  It is a sort of love affair which comes
to an end. A suffering, a  pain that leaves you confused and makes you doubt your own
qualities.

They say that in such circumstances it is better to switch off for a  while, so you
can find out about yourself. That is indeed the case.  That sacking and the wounds it
has opened are now part of me and  will never leave me completely.  But I imagine in
the next few months, the desire to start again will  come out fiercely. After all, it
is the first time I have stopped during a season in 20 years."

And of the Juve situation Vialli said: "Ancelotti must receive full support to the
end.  Manchester United tolerated Alex Ferguson not winning anything in his  first
four years and then he won everything more than once."

---------------------------------
[15] I don't mind to be honest
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Total Film magazine has run a poll about which movie stars readers never want to see
naked on film again:

Male:  1 Woody Allen; 2 John Goodman; 3 Steve Buscemi; 4 John Travolta; 5 Clint
Eastwood.

Female:  1 Roseanne Barr; 2 Kathy Bates; 3 Kathy Burke; 4 Gwyneth Paltrow; 5 Miriam
Margolyes.

Can I put in a late bid for not minding seeing Paltrow sans cloth - and I've got a
mate who once fantasied about Agony Aunt Claire Raynor so I'm sure he'll add his
disgust to the Barr vote.

---------------------------------
[14] More O'Leary babble
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
"We are under-performing in the Premiership and that is a big worry to me. We have
assembled a great squad and we know we have all the ability, so we have to get people
back properly fit and playing the way we can. If we are to get back into Europe
through the league then we have to start winning and quickly. Everton will be another
battle. It's a game where we have to get a result, but I've come to realise many teams
look at the players we have and desperately want to beat us. But we have to learn,
like Manchester United have, how to handle that and the quicker the better."

No mention of kids for once though.

---------------------------------
[13] Best fans in the land - (massive in fact) - my arse
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
If city are the best fans why do they always target certain players for barracking -
surely they knew they were shit as soon as they'd signed them...

"One or two individuals are beginning to feel it with the crowd and that is something
we may have to look at," Joe Royle said. "We have to start winning home games and now
we need that extra bit of quality and that extra bit of confidence which can win us a
game. It is a matter of self-belief."

---------------------------------
[12] Ole on his recent form
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
"After our game against Liverpool there was a lot of talk about a striker crisis. But
Ryan Giggs showed he's not only a fantastic winger but can also play as a quality
striker. My collaboration with Ryan up front worked very well. My first goal against
Ipswich came after some fine work by Ryan, while the second goal came after a
fantastic pass from David Beckham.

As a striker I need to get passes from the rest of the team, and that's something we
have an abundance of at Manchester United."

---------------------------------
[11] Non-entity says league not over
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Fredrik Ljungberg of the Arse. "I don't believe the title race is over. Just over half
of the campaign is finished but although they have this lead now, hopefully we can
catch them. We were of course very disappointed after losing at Liverpool and showed
against Leicester that we can play football. It's a very important game for us this
weekend. Hopefully we will carry on from this win and try to play as well again."

---------------------------------
[10] Leave United Bosnich
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
So says Aussie national coach, Frank Farina.

"Ferguson obviously has a problem with Mark and it's best for him to get a change of
scene sooner rather than later. If he's not playing regularly for his club it makes it
difficult when it comes to being selected for Australia. I spoke to Mark about the
situation several weeks ago and I'm sure he'll make the right decision."

Looks like a move could be on the cards then.

---------------------------------
[9] Big Fat Ron on our away form
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
"It has got to the stage where the only team I trust to get an away result are
Manchester United, which is probably unfair on Ipswich given that their record of six
away wins is just as good. I'm certainly never surprised when Arsenal or Chelsea
lose...

Manchester United have shown a willingness to adapt. When they have played in Europe
with a standard 4-4-2 certain teams have flooded the midfield and got a spare player
in behind United's central midfield. So Sir Alex Ferguson quite likes the business now
of playing with three narrow midfielders.

That does sometimes leave them unbalanced but I think he is prepared to sacrifice that
to be very tight in the middle, forcing opponents to come through a barrier of, say,
David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes and Roy Keane.

At the moment a similar formation has been forced on them a bit by the
absence of so many strikers, with Ryan Giggs pushed through the middle. It will be
interesting to see what they do in Europe when Teddy Sheringham is back.

At the other end, whereas Fabien Barthez has been reliable for United, I'm not sure
the keepers at Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal have been as solid. Neil Sullivan might have
done better with both Southampton goals and Ed de Goey and Alex Manninger are making
ricks."

---------------------------------
[8] city not to get targeted for sick jibe in their programme
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Imagine the flak if a fanzine had sunk to the sick depths that the city programme did
by making light of our tragedy. Yet just because their press officer, Chris Bird,
said: "We give the fans their own page in the match programme and the club magazine
but they should be edited. Unfortunately this one line, and it was only one line, was
missed by somebody," (so if it's only one line makes it somehow better or alright?)

"I will be having a meeting with the programme editor to ensure that this sort of
thing never happens again. It's unfortunate but it's just a case of human error."
(unfortunate - is that all you think it is?)

Bill Foulkes, who lost eight of his United team-mates said: "I just cannot imagine
that anyone at City would allow such a thing to happen. I know people at City, good
people, and I'm sure they will feel just as I do.  For it to be in the club programme
is beyond belief. Whoever has written this article needs to see someone; he needs
help. He's certainly no football fan, whoever he is."

The article, was written by David Chidlow. You must be feeling very proud this morning.

'Irene Beevers, 60, whose brother, the England international David Pegg, died in the
disaster at 22, still lives in his home town of Doncaster along with their mother
Jessie, 84. "Leeds United's fans are notorious for gloating about what happened but
you would think there would be more sympathy in Manchester, especially because Frank
Swift [one of City's all-time greats] was among those who died. It's sick. For City to
have this in their official programme is despicable. They should be ashamed of
themselves. These people are sad individuals and I feel sorry for them. Why do they
still do it after all this time?

The anniversary is coming up in February and at this time of year it's
always hard, particularly for my mother. It's time this sort of thing came to a stop.
Don't these people realise how upsetting this can be?"

"The programme was not edited properly and this article went into print erroneously.
It is the last thing we would want to be associated with," said City's chairman David
Bernstein. "It was a mistake and we are sorry for any offence caused. Among other
things, we will never forget that Frank Swift was killed in the disaster."

So that makes everything alright does it - not to Utd fans it doesn't.

---------------------------------
[7] Vialli dreams of putting Chelsea behind him
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
"I really dream of one day coaching Juventus - that is the best job in the world. I
know Juventus fans love me and I am very proud of that."

---------------------------------
[6] city make massive signing
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Hoping to sort out the final details today.

Bergkamp.

No.

Cole.

No.

Salas.

No.

Batistuta.

No.

Er, Darren Huckerby for £2.5m. massive man.

David Bernstein said: "I want to assure the fans that we could not be more conscious
of the need for Manchester City to stay in the Premiership - and not just for
financial reasons. Everything that can be done to ensure we avoid finishing in the
bottom three will be done."

Not made a great start have you lads...

---------------------------------
[5] England fans to join new club
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Wow again. So the 'England Members Club is to be revamped following detailed
discussions between government and the Football Association'.

A Home Office report into the club suggests that it is infested with young, white,
male hooligans "determined to display offensive and distorted perceptions of
patriotism". Mystic Meg eat your heart out.

FA marketing director said: "All the necessary steps will be taken to ensure the
club's security will not be compromised. The new membership will be transformed into a
scheme that not only distributes England tickets to the widest possible audience, but
gives supporters a voice. It will also support grassroots football, deliver unique
services, outline a clear set of values and give supporters a sense of belonging."

---------------------------------
[4] England & St George link up
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
For England's next home kit will feature the flag of St George.

"We can confirm that we will be launching a new home kit in the spring," said an FA
spokesman. "This falls in line with our policy of introducing a new kit every two
years."

Wow. And this is back page material for a number of the tabloids. The puddings - or is
it that they are too lazy for a real story because of too many puddings?

---------------------------------
[3] Yorkie straining at the leash
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by redend:
Yorkie will end his three-match ban for his sending off at Sunderland when he lines up
against Newcastle tomorrow. The timing of his suspension couldn't have been worse as
with both Cole and Sheringham injured he'd be guaranteed a place.

Dwight: "I have five at the moment but I'm still convinced I can get more than 20 for
a third consecutive season. There is never a good time to get a suspension but this
could not have been worse as I was looking at an extended run in the team again. I
told myself when the ban started I had to make sure I was sharp when it was time to
return."

---------------------------------
[2] Barthez doing Fab
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by redend:
Fabien's clean sheets are a major reason why we've done so well in the first half of
the season. But read the stats etc below:

Anoraks on:

PREMIERSHIP RECORD (1ST 20 GAMES)

2000-01: P: 20 W: 14 D: 4 L: 2 F: 47 A: 14 Pts: 46 (Clean sheets: 11)

1999-00: P: 20 W: 13 D: 5 L: 2 F: 51 A: 26 Pts: 44 (Clean sheets: 5)

1998-99: P: 20 W: 9 D: 8 L: 3 F: 39 A: 23 Pts: 30 (Clean sheets: 7)

1997-98: P: 20 W: 15 D: 4 L: 2 F: 47 A: 13 Pts: 49 (Clean sheets: 12)

1996-97: P: 20 W: 10 D: 7 L: 3 F: 44 A: 25 Pts: 37 (Clean sheets: 9)

1995-96: P: 20 W: 11 D: 5 L: 4 F: 38 A: 22 Pts: 38 (Clean sheets: 6)

1994-95: P: 20 W: 14 D: 2 L: 3 F: 39 A: 16 Pts: 44 (Clean sheets: 11)

1993-94: P: 20 W: 15 D: 4 L: 1 F: 40 A: 16 Pts: 49 (Clean sheets: 8)

1992-93: P: 20 W: 9 D: 7 L: 4 F: 22 A: 14 Pts: 34 (Clean sheets: 10)

Strangely though - anoraks hoods up for this bit - the seasons we lost the league - we
actually had more clean sheets in the first 20 games. Our two best being those that we
lost league. Over to Mulder & Scully:

Year
2000 W 5
1999 W 7
1998 L 12
1997 W 9
1996 W 6
1995 L 11
1994 W 8
1993 W 10

[1] More feeder club deals
Posted Friday, December 29, 2000 by redend:
Belgian club KV Mechelen have confirmed that they will be discussing the possibility
of becoming a feeder club to West Ham United. This is
similar to the cooperation that exists between Manchester United and Royal Antwerp.

Apparently, we hear, a small non-league club in Lichtenstein have agreed to take on
city as a feeder club for them - but only if city stay up - and lets face it even
Viagra couldn't keep city up.