---------------------------------
[30] New United Song
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
>From Paddy O'N.

"They're a big club, they'll sing they'll scream they'll shout,
They'll sing sbout things they know fuck all about,
3000 at home to Mansfield,
What a huge support,
And when they play at home they empty Stockport,
Tra la la  la we laugh at city, hah ha ha ha ha ha"

---------------------------------
[29] George Burley up for our game
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
"We are not kidding ourselves as only half of the season is over. But  the facts speak
for themselves. We have 33 points, we are in third  place in the league, we have the
best away record in the Premiership  with six wins and are full of confidence.  Now we
face our toughest test with a trip to Old Trafford but we  will be going there without
fear.  We are making sure we are enjoying what is happening at the moment.  Things are
going well right now and we will not let up."

---------------------------------
[28] Stam on his return
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
"Wes and Gary have done well without me, but I'm not  worried about getting my place
back. I'm not a player who can sit on  the bench, so I'll be working extra hard to
make sure the manager  feels I'm right to go back into the side.

Wes is already a top defender. The next few England  managers will be smiling about
the defenders in the squad. There are  already some top-class centre-halves like
Jonathon Woodgate and Rio  Ferdinand around, but I rate Wes right up there with them.
If Wes keeps improving, he'll be a regular in the England squad for  the next decade.

This is the longest I've been out with an injury. I've  just returned to training with
the first-team and it's a big relief,  as I was getting fed up with all the running on
my own. I've lost count of the number of 400m I've run in the last few weeks  and that
isn't my favourite part of training. I've also been shooting and jumping, and the
Achilles is holding up  fine. It feels like it used to before the injury. It's been
hard being out, but I was just glad to see the lads win  through to the next stage of
the Champions League.

It's a great competition, as you come up against the top teams and
best players. It's been frustrating, of course, but I knew from before the  operation
that I was going to be out for a long time, so even before  the surgery I was used to
the idea of sitting it out. A lot of other players just twist their knee or get hurt
in a tackle  and are out for a long time, so it's a bigger shock for them than it  has
been for me. Of course, when you're doing the same thing every day, like going  into
the treatment room and running, it gets a bit boring.

And when you go to Old Trafford on match days and see the other lads  going out on to
the pitch, it can get you down. But it's something I  have grown to handle. The good
news is that it's all going to plan. The Achilles is  feeling like it used to.
Everyone is satisfied and the gaffer and  doctor are happy with me coming back soon.

I don't mind Rio getting the most expensive tag. Nowadays that's  how it goes with
club's playing ridiculous amounts of money. I won't say that's a ridiculous amount for
Ferdinand in particular,  but when they paid £10m for me I said it was too much money
for a  player. Everything has gone berserk with the transfer fees - especially with
the fact there may be a new transfer system coming in soon. It's  definitely a risk."

---------------------------------
[27] Sheep ripped off
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
As they discover what we've had to put up for years as Anderlecht - although Leeds are
charging just £25 for Anderlecht's visit to
Elland Road - are charging either £40 or £50 a ticket when they go to
Brussels.

---------------------------------
[26] A gargoyle speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
Martin Keown as he's otherwise known.

"We've had our bad patch and come through it. All systems go. Race on. If we can do it
at White Hart Lane, we can do it anywhere. We know we can catch Manchester United."

---------------------------------
[25] Kanu has pop at Arse
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
In a letter about missing the Olympics he writes:  "I negotiated the best I could with
my club to attend the Sydney Olympics but they would not allow me to leave. I was
forbidden to leave the country unless it was to play for my club. The matter was well
and truly out of my hands. I had no powers (to decide) even though I practically moved
between heaven and earth to get my release.

If this had not happened, I would have been at Sydney, proud to represent my country
as I always am. I assure you that I will always try my hardest in future to be present
for such occasions for my country".

Doesn't sound too happy.

---------------------------------
[24] Get on the petition
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
'Fed up of the ever spiralling cost of your Season Ticket LMTB or match day ticket?
Can't afford to take the next generation of Reds along due to the cost? Then don't
hesitate do your bit and support IMUSA in this campaign.

IMUSA Online Petition

IMUSA wish to see no ticket price rises for the 2001/2002 season. If you support IMUSA
in their campaign, please sign the petition below at

(link:http://www.imusa.org/petition/index.htm) http://www.imusa.org/petition/index.htm

IMUSA want to see match ticket prices frozen in the short term, & in the longer term
IMUSA wish to see prices reduced, especially in certain categories eg Younger fans.
The February board meeting is the time when prices are set for the following season,
so we need to act now and encourage every United fan we know to visit the website,
sign the petition and add your comments, we MUST make our points count and voices
heard.'

---------------------------------
[23] Player rules out Utd move
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
No, not Palermo - a class striking act who I've seen a bit of and looks the part
(dodgy haircut apart) but Hidetoshi Nakata one time apparent Utd target who has said:
"I like English football, but with all respect to a great team like  Manchester
United, I would prefer to play in London - from a touristic point of view."

You what?

"With Roma I have got used to a certain level and I would like to
continue to play for a team capable of winning trophies"

(so why think of London then?)

"I  am fine at Roma right now, even if I don't play much, and I am only  considering a
transfer at the end of the season."

(big head)

"I don't want to repeat the error I made when I left Perugia for Roma
half-way through the season (in January 2000). I needed four months  to adapt and then
the championship was nearly over."

---------------------------------
[22] The sad git in Red is a prat, from cheek to cheek
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
Sander Westerveld: "I'd heard of Chris  de Burgh before I came over to England. He's
very famous in Holland  and all over the world. Chris is a big Liverpool fan, who
often comes  to our home games. He goes into the players' lounge at Anfield, and
because of that I've got to know him personally after meeting him for  the first time
last season.  Chris couldn't resist mentioning our result against Manchester  United
at his concert, even though he was playing in Manchester. I  think there must have
been a lot of Liverpool supporters in the crowd  because there was a big cheer when he
talked of the game, and people  began to sing, `One-nil'."

Truly sad ABUs - and no wonder there wasn't any boos at the result - what Red would be
seen dead at that concert.

---------------------------------
[21] Fergie on his treatment of Phil Nev after Euro 2000
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
"I didn't phone Phil after the game for the simple reason that I  thought this was a
challenge for him. He's a  young lad, a quiet lad. I wanted him to show his own
spirit.  Back at training I had a chat and told him why I hadn't phoned him.  I think
there are watersheds in everyone's life and this was one for  him.

This season Phil has probably played his best football for the club.  So sometimes
through adversity you find the true person - and I think  that is the case with Phil."

---------------------------------
[20] Scholes wants to stay a Red
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
"All you can do is wait and see what happens. A couple of players  could go, and the
manager's going in a couple of years, so obviously
there will be changes. You've just got to wait and see if you are in favour  with the
new manager and if you get on with him. You just never know  until it happens. I'd
like to think I wouldn't have to play for  anyone else - I want to stay there and just
play for United really.  As long as they want me, that's what I'll be doing.

I think there was a little bit of luck involved with us all coming  through together,
because it hasn't happened at many other clubs.  We've all come through together from
when we were 15 or 16, nine or  ten years ago now, and we're very fortunate to still
be playing  together now.

We know the league won't be easy. That's  our aim. Obviously, we hope to go a long way
in the Champions League  too, hopefully win it, but we've got a very difficult group
with  Valencia, Panathinaikos and Sturm Graz. We just want to get through  that to
begin with."

---------------------------------
[19] A festive joke for you all
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
>From our Irish correspondent:

"Here's this year's christmas joke amongst Irish United fans.  Heard it in a pub the
other night (you may have heard we frequent public houses quite a lot in this country
as well). It's either the worst or best joke ever, depending on your sense of humour...

Two City fans, a husband and wife, are walking through Manchester city centre when the
bloke says, "Was that a drop of rain I just felt?"  "No", said his missus, "I think it
was sleet." "No it wasn't," said the bitter blue to his wife, "I know the difference
between rain and sleet."  Just then, they met Rudolph, a neighbour of theirs and
die-hard United fan. "Alright there Rudolph, what do you think of the weather?" "I
think it's raining you twat!", replied Rudolph.  "No, I'm sure that's sleet, not
rain," said the woman, to which her husband replied...

"Rudolph the Red knows rain, dear!"

---------------------------------
[18] Neil Ruddock spotted on holiday?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
'Scientists searching for Bigfoot in the US have found a bum print
that could belong to the mythical creature. Researchers from the Bigfoot Field
Researchers Organisation found the  indent in the mud of Washington state, in the
north-west of the  country. They say the print is of a bottom, and a big hairy one at
that. Whatever caused it had sat down and left quite an impression and also  left a
toeprint like an ape.'

---------------------------------
[17] Becks wants return to style
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
"It is important we get back to winning ways. We didn't play as well as we should have
done against Liverpool but at the end of the day Ipswich is another big game for us at
home, a game we have got to win. They did well against us when we drew at Portman Road
and they've proved a lot of people wrong.

It is a demanding time. Playing four matches in nine days is an important period for
any team. As players we get used to it but it is a tough programme. But as long as we
do well and get the results we need then that is the important thing. If we get
through these first three Christmas games with good performances and good results then
that will put us in good stead for going into the New Year.

We don't usually have a good spell over Christmas so it is up to us to get through
these games and get good results this time. Up to Liverpool we had been playing well.
We've played some great football all season and we've started to play well in Europe.
Five points clear in the league and two European wins. It is going well for us.

But we are not carried away and listening to those people who are saying that Man
United have already won it. We just carry on with our jobs."

---------------------------------
[16] Fergie up for award, again
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
"Sir Alex Ferguson is on a nine man shortlist for an international Manager of the Year
award, along with Arsene Wenger and David O'Leary. The award is presented by the
International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS) and the list of
nominations also include Lazio's England coach-elect Sven Goran Eriksson. The full
list of nominees is thus:- Arsene Wenger (Arsenal), Ottmar Hitzfeld (Bayern Munich),
Carlos Bianchi (Boca Juniors), Oswaldo de Oliveira Filho (Corinthians), Fatih Terim
(Fiorentina), David O'Leary (Leeds), Alex Ferguson (Manchester United), Vincente del
Bosque (Real Madrid) and Hector Cuper (Valencia)."

O'Leary?!?!

---------------------------------
[15] Celtic wish they'd never had Dalglish
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
Soon to be departing Celtic chairman Allan MacDonald said: "I felt bringing in Kenny
was something we needed to do because he was a Celtic man who had enjoyed success in
the most competitive league in the world. With hindsight, I wish I had never done it.
In terms of Kenny the man I still have enormous respect for him. In  terms of his
ability to manage a top football team, I don't think that is his forte."

---------------------------------
[14] Scouser fears Utd revenge
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
Gary McAllister: "It is obvious United will be smarting right now from what happened
on Sunday - I certainly don't envy their opponents! United were pegged back by
Charlton and now we have beaten them. I now expect United to kick on - it is what they
have regularly done in the past. Manchester United are class and they are still the
team to beat but  let's just stop and think for a minute because here we are at
Christmas approaching the halfway stage of the season. Nothing is ever cut and dried
at this stage of any campaign - United know this. There is still a huge amount to play
for and there will be more shocks and surprises along the way - these are guaranteed.
Hopefully we at Liverpool can string more good results together and  be up there with
them. ur win has certainly given us and others the chance to have a real go.
Consistency, however, is the key factor, especially when you are up  against
Manchester United - I have total respect for them. Whatever happens, whoever wins it's
sure to be  interesting and the title race is still open."

---------------------------------
[13] Forget Houston, Red News we have had a problem
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by bar-knee:
The Editor's computer basically died on him yesterday and although efforts have meant
he's up and running again to spend his sad idea of a Christmas typing away day and
night in front of a screen - he has basically lost everything on his old files - so if
anyone sent an e.mail to him at

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

he'd be grateful if they could re-send it again and anyone who he is in regular
contact with he requests can they send him an e.mail so he can re-store their e.mail
addresses. These bloody computers! Apologies in advance if you've sent him something
and it's now in computer heaven!

---------------------------------
[12] Editor in meltdown
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by tb:
The editors trusty piece of fruit has blown up, and he is seeing if any of the pips
can be re-assembled. Therefore the news maybe a bit slow.

---------------------------------
[11] Anyone who wants a 5 pounds Amazon gift voucher
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by redend:
Anyone who wants to receive a 5 pound Amazon gift token - just send an email to:
(link:mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Only a limited number are available per month so don't bother if you're not likely to
use it soon as they expire after about 30 days.

It helps RED NEWS too - especially if you buy something through a link from our site
like the featured items in the top right corner - or the Amazon links below them
("MORE ITEMS") and the graphic above the main news frame.

We need money for alcohol etc or we will die.

---------------------------------
[10] Yorkie's Xmas plans up the spout
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by redend:
Yorkie normally has the relatives over from Trinidad for Christmas and he was looking
forward to getting them to come and watch him blow shotgun's team away at Villa Park
on Boxing Day. But now that sending off at Sunderland has spoilt his plans. Still -
bet he has something nice lined up in Christmas stockings.

Dwight:
"Missing a return to Villa Park is a big blow for me. I am having the family over for
that and so it is very disappointing that I'll now be in the stand. It is nice in some
ways when people are over to have Christmas off but I really would prefer to be
playing. I just want to be out there again. I want to be part of it."

"I haven't played a lot this season and once this suspension is over I just want to
play every game from there on in. The suspension is disappointing coming at a time
when I was beginning to think I was on a bit of a roll again. I'd scored against Derby
and Sunderland and had been given the opportunity to get back into the team. Then this
hits me."

"At first I thought the red card was harsh. But I saw the replay on TV and I did go
over the top a little bit. I did apologise to him. It was one of those situations that
happened in the heat of the moment and luckily he was okay. I'm the one paying for it
now and I can't wait for it to be over."

---------------------------------
[9] FEED THE SCOUSERS - LET THEM KNOW IT'S XMAS TIME
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by redend:
FEED THE SCOUSERS - LET THEM KNOW IT'S XMAS TIME

Pensioners in Liverpool are to be given vouchers to pay for the cost of festive meals
after the council announced that all recipients of meals on wheels will receive a
voucher that can be exchanged for two festive meals,worth £5 each, at any time of the
year. [Makes sense then]

---------------------------------
[8] Statto Attack - The assistants
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by redend:
Assists
David Beckham 6
Ryan Giggs 6
Thierry Henry 6
Teddy Sheringham 5
Frederic Kanoute 5
Seth Johnson 4
Jim Magilton 4
Lee Bowyer 4
Alan Smith 4
Gary McAllister 4
Vladimir Smicer 4
Paulo Wanchope 4
Paul Scholes 4
Hassan Kachloul 4
Darren Anderton 4
Paolo DiCanio 4

---------------------------------
[7] Eric told Fergie to buy Barthez
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by redend:
Fergie has been singing Fabien's praises again nad has revealed how Eric was
instrumental in persuading him to buy the insane Frenchman.

Fergie: "I should have gone for Barthez before I did. Eric Cantona used to keep
telling me to go for him. 'If you are needing a goalkeeper, he is the man,' he kept
saying. I thought he was a bit small but Eric said that is absolutely never a problem
for him. He said his spring is magnificent."

"What I didn't realise, and what you sometimes don't know about people you have never
worked with them, is the great love he had for the game as well as the fans at Monaco.
But the enthusiasm he has shown since coming here has been an
absolute revelation. This is a guy who has won the World Cup, European Championship,
the European Cup and five championships with Monaco and Marseille and yet he is dying
to win his next thing. It is fantastic to see someone with that desire."

It was Eric who told Fergie that Barthez was unsettled in Monaco.

"Eric said to me that Barthez was not happy at Monaco and he had regretted not signing
a contract last season. We had made an enquiry at that time but he signed a new
contract with Monaco. So I asked Eric to get me more information. Eventually we got
the news back that he did want to leave so my decision at the end was should we go for
him. We did and he has been marvellous."

[Not sure about the wall against the Scousers though]

---------------------------------
[6] Clinton's Pussy gets the drinks in
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by redend:
Bill's bar bill has been repaid by his cat

The owner of a London pub where Bill Clinton had lunch last week has received a letter
from the US president's cat.

The pub's owner Michael Bell has had a letter signed by the president's pet cat, Sox.
Mr Bell received a $10 bill purported to be from Clinton's pet cat - reports The
Mirror.

The note reads: "Please forgive me. I thought I'd trained my human better, but every
now and again I catch him going on the carpet. Hope this settles his tab[by?]."

On the other hand this could be a very easy way for two hacks to get a story. While
sitting in the pub they write out this note - get the landlord to agree to the story
and bingo their work done for another day and they can enjoy a few more shandies.

---------------------------------
[5] FA Cup is exciting Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by redend:
Fergie won't be playing the kids in the cup - he's getting quite excited about it by
the sounds of things. Speaking on MUTV he said:
"We're going for it. We are going to enjoy it and, hopefully, have a good run. It is a
special cup. It is the most prestigious and exciting cup in the world. Not being in
the FA Cup last year was unfortunate. I don't see how we could have done it. The pure
facts were there was no way I was going to play the youth team in the FA Cup. I am not
here to destroy careers, I am here to build careers."

"It would have been an onerous task for any young team to go into the fourth round,
presuming we would have won the opening third round tie with our strongest side in
December. I made the right decision but this year we are going to go for it."

Fabien Barthez and Mikael Silvestre will be maknig their debuts in the FA Cup at
Fulham.

---------------------------------
[4] Keane has gone to Leeds
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by redend:
Robbie Keane has gone to Elland Road on loan until the end of the season.

---------------------------------
[3] United Euro spanking
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by redend:
United have been fined £2,000 by UEFA for "improper conduct" during the Champions
League clash with PSV Eindhoven last October.

The Reds triumphed 3-1 in the Old Trafford encounter - but it came at a 5,000 Swiss
Francs cost.

So what exactly is "improper conduct" then? Winning? Eating prawn sandwiches? Being
any good? We think we should be told.

---------------------------------
[2] Palermo stories growing
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by redend:
MiDAS report that Argentinean superstar Martin Palermo arrived at Old Trafford for
talks regarding a £12m move to United.

And Teamtalk join in saying that Palermo's agent has confirmed two big English clubs
are vying for the Boca Juniors striker who was rumoured to be in Manchester for talks.
Sources suggest the two clubs are United and Chelsea who may have to beat off bids
from top sides from Italy and Germany for the £12 million-rated ace.

And it is also strongly believed that Palermo left Buenos Aires on Tuesday night for
England, so the rumour of his presence in Manchester could be true. South America's
premier football agent Gustavo Mascardi told 'Radio La Red': "From what I know, it's
just a theory. In England, a team is interested in him. Then hours ago, another team
made an offer via his agent Antonio Caliendo. When offers come in from these clubs,
players tend to leave without thinking twice. However, I feel it would be best to wait
until next summer."

Apparently Palermo is currently seeking only £15,000-a-week (peanuts eh!) so even the
PLC would be aroused by this. The 27-year-old striker has been linked with United
before, and was tipped to make a move to Lazio last season but the move broke down
when he suffered an injury.

Palermo scored both goals in Boca's 2-1 victory over European Champions Real Madrid in
the recent Intercontinental Cup clash. He is also the player who had that hilarious
hat-trick of missed penalties in last year's Copa America.

The Argentine season has just finished and the 6ft 3in tall Palermo was, again, Boca
Juniors top scorer. Boca won the treble - which is nice.

[1] An anniversary present for city
Posted Thursday, December 21, 2000 by redend:
An anniversary present for city from TSJ productions:

(link:http://ticktock.virtualave.net/ticktock.cgi)
http://ticktock.virtualave.net/ticktock.cgi