A bit of a short one today but give us some slack - after todays result and Friday's
party  - painting the town RED is not just a euphamism (what?). By the way,
congratulations to the lads (esp. the Red Ish lads who set it up) who pulled off the
party on Friday despite "Massive Problems". Heroes - JP, AW, CR & others?

---------------------------------
[12] Porn King on this afternoon
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 25, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:

"It's fantastic. If someone had said I'd get one goal I'd have taken it - but to get
three is absolutely awesome against a quality side. I'm delighted.  We knew what we
had to do - it's a great team effort."

"I don't think I've played as well as I'd like this season. I've had to be patient and
wait for my chance - and today I've taken it."

"My game is not just based on scoring - I create as well and it's nice things are
coming off for me once again.  That will give me confidence for the rest of the season.

---------------------------------
[11] Fergie on hat-trick hero
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 25, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:

Fergie on Yorkie

"Maybe this is what he needs.  He's had a mixed season with injuries and Jamaica [!!!!
- Now who is it you play for son?] and he needs a settled period. Maybe this is the
start of his season."

"Historically these games are very tight.  We won 6-2 in a League Cup game down there
a few years ago - but in the league it's been tight."

"Our attitude was good - we deserved a good result from a good performance."

---------------------------------
[10] Fergie on scorching win
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 25, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:

Fergie on scorching win

"Winning was important for us. The nature of the match meant if we'd lost or drawn
they could harbour thoughts about catching us."

"I don't think it's prudent to say you're the champions.  Knowing the nature of
football you can be made to look a fool.  If you start talking like that players can
relax - and you certainly don't want that to happen."

---------------------------------
[9] Six - One!, SIX BLOODY ONE!
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 25, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
Nice!

UNITED 6-1 ARSENAL

Yorke 3,18,22
Keane 26
Solksjaer 38
Sheringham 90

Henry 16

United: Barthez, G Neville, Silvestre, Brown, Stam, Beckham, Butt, Keane (Chadwick
75), Scholes, Yorke (Sheringham 75), Solskjaer.

Arsenal: Seaman, Luzhny, Cole (Ljungberg 45), Grimandi, Stepanovs, Pires, Vieira,
Parlour (Vivas 69), Silvinho, Wiltord, Henry.

---------------------------------
[8] More later
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 25, 2001 by redend:
More news later .... its only 40 mins to KO now and I've got to get up to OT and get a
few jars in - nobody appreciates the sacrifices I go through for RED NEWS.

---------------------------------
[7] Capello: I want to be United Boss
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 25, 2001 by redend:
The News of the World reports that Fabio Capello has confessed his dream of succeeding
Fergie next season.

This is not the first time we've reported this but now the NOTW has the quote action:

Capello has just signed a new two- year deal with the Italian giants but he then
admitted "Yes, I would like to manage Manchester United. I like England, I like the
spirit of the English football and I’d like to work in English football. At the
moment I have signed for Roma for two years so we will have to wait. Maybe we will
have to wait one year."

A United spokesman would only say: "We haven’t begun the search for a new
manager and will do so at the appropiate time."

The NOTW lists some of his credentials:

Capello certainly fulfils that criterion and is regarded as one of the finest coaches
ever seen in European football.

He still insists he was offered the England job before the FA swooped for Sven Goran
Eriksson.

Capello’s current Roma deal ties in neatly with Fergie’s retirement at the
end of the 2001-02 season.

He led AC Milan to four Italian titles and Real Madrid to the Spanish championship.

His Roma side are top of Serie A but were beaten in the UEFA Cup by Liverpool this
week.

Capello insists the "Kop kings" (stomach wretch) will be his biggest rivals if he
takes over at Old Trafford. He added: "There is still work for Liverpool to do to
catch United. But it is possible." [Don't blow it Fabio - youe were doing so well up
to there.]

---------------------------------
[6] Giggs on the draw v Valencia
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 25, 2001 by redend:
Looking back to our draw with Valencia, it was disappointing to lose our lead so late,
especially as that would've seen us through to the quarter-finals with two games to
spare. However, they probably deserved a draw. We started really well, but then they
slowly came into the game. Pablo Aimar and Gaizka Mendieta are great players, who are
very good on the ball and they got more and more possession in the second half.

Of course, I felt sorry for Wes, but these things happen in football, especially for
defenders. I'm lucky enough not to have scored an own goal yet, but they're just part
of the game. Wes had to go for that ball, but it deflected off his boot and past
Fabien.

I'll be sitting in the stands at Old Trafford this Sunday watching the lads. It's
disappointing to miss such a big game. Arsenal need to win more than us.  If they do,
they'll cut our lead to ten points, but should we win we'll extend it to sixteen. A
draw wouldn't be a bad result for us. The onus is on them, but we always play to win
at Old Trafford so it should be a really good game.

---------------------------------
[5] More tales of the Giggs hamstring
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 25, 2001 by redend:
On Tuesday night:
"It was really frustrating. I went home with about 20 minutes to go as I was so upset.
It's such a crucial point in the season that I don't want to miss any games at all. I
can tell you I wasn't in the best mood on Tuesday night. There was a report in a
newspaper yesterday that I was blaming the pitch for hurting my hamstring, but that
isn't true. As I said, I first felt my hamstring at Carrington in training a couple of
days earlier, so it had nothing to do with the Old Trafford turf."

"At this stage, I'd predict I'll be out for about two weeks. I haven't pencilled in a
comeback date yet. It's too early. I need to see how the hamstring reacts to some
training first. Today I'll be at Carrington for some treatment. But I'm definitely out
of this Sunday's game against Arsenal, the following week's trip to Elland Road and
almost certainly out of our next Champions' League game against Panathinaikos on 7
March."

---------------------------------
[4] Giggs writes something in his diary...
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 25, 2001 by redend:
...and quite a lot for him too. Must have nothing to do while resting that hamstring

Giggs on his ICONS site diary:
"I'll be out for a couple of weeks I was very disappointed to feel a twinge in my
hamstring during our draw with Valencia in the Champions' League. I was really
enjoying myself out there - I thought the game was made for me with it being quite
open. I'd enjoyed a few good runs along the left flank, but I felt a pain in
my hamstring after about ten minutes and knew I had to go off. A few minutes later,
Butty replaced me."

"I first felt it in training a couple of days earlier, but we decided that I should
play as it was such a big game. I felt absolutely fine early on, but the hamstring
went when I was setting up Coley's goal. I played a one-two with him and then cut the
ball back for him to score. That explains why I didn't look as delighted as I should
have when the ball went in. Everyone was celebrating, but I knew I'd probably have to
go off."

---------------------------------
[3] Eriksson - Euro players to only play one half
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 25, 2001 by redend:

Sven-Goran Eriksson has revealed that England players still involved in European club
action will probably play only half a match against Spain.

So players from Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Leeds will not be asked to
play the full 90 minutes.

Speaking on BBC Grandstand, Eriksson said: "I talked to all managers whose players
were picked for the first squad. Of course it's important to know that Manchester
United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Leeds played European games two weeks ago, they played
European games this week, they play European games the week after the international
game.

"I know from being a club manager myself just a couple of months ago that you can't
force players - so none of them will play 90 minutes, that's for sure, maybe most of
them just 45 minutes.

---------------------------------
[2] Keano - It ain't over 'til it's over
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, February 25, 2001 by redend:

Keano sticks to the party line as he says that the title isn't won yet as we take a 13
point lead into today's Arsenal clash. A win would put us 16 points ahead with only 10
games to go - which would be pretty convincing

"With the Premier League everyone is saying it's over - that's rubbish," he said.

"It's never over until you have that medal in your hand.

"People keep going on about it, but if Arsenal get a result against us, then they are
back in it.

"We've been the victims of this before a few years ago when we threw away quite a good
lead.

"I think we've got the experience to cope with it this time and I also think we've got
a big enough squad. Hopefully we can get it right over the remaining few months.

"But as I said, until you get that medal in your hands it's all to play for."

[1] Good luck to "The Blues"
Posted Sunday, February 25, 2001 by redend:
That's Birmingham City - a team that hasn't won a trophy for 38 years! Lets hope that
ends today against the Scousers.