---------------------------------
[24] Foot & mouth alert in West Yorkshire
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
As O'Dreary gets all giddy

"They are the best and hopefully over the next four or five years we will be up there
with them," said O'Leary.
"But what I would really like is to win the championship next season to give him the
perfect send-off into retirement - a present from Leeds."

---------------------------------
[23] Jaap 'no gooners to take piss out of anymore'
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
I travelled back home to Holland for the game in good spirits after our 6-1 victory
over Arsenal on Sunday. It was one of our best performances of the season, we were so
lethal up front whenever we got a chance. Funnily enough, I wouldn't say it was by far
our most outstanding display of the season, but because we put six goals past Arsenal
have hailed it as that.

With Dennis Bergkamp's retirement from international football and Marc Overmars' move
to Barcelona last summer, there are no more Arsenal players in the Dutch squad, so I
couldn't have some fun with them. I spoke to Marc about it, he still has a lot of
affection for the club after his three years there, and he was pretty surprised at the
result. The game was live on Dutch television, so lots of people wanted to talk to me
about it.

I think we won the game by being more aggressive. We started the game
determined to win as we knew that victory would put us 16 points clear at the top of
the Premiership. I nearly managed to get a goal myself with a header in the second
half. Unfortunately it hit the side netting, so I have still only scored one goal for
United. I'm getting closer every time, so one day it will go in! I'm quite happy for
others to do the goalscoring as long as we
win.

---------------------------------
[22] Mirror trying to spark Ingerlund capt war?
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
As they reckon Becks and Campbell will both be tugging at the armband for the Finland
game.

Becks says:

"It was great. Captaining England for the first half was something
special,".

"I enjoyed the experience and I'd like it to carry on. I hope I can
captain England for the Finland game."

Eriksson says:

"I talked to David about his role. But if in the future you want to
change the positions of him or someone else you need more than two-
and-a-half practices to do it," said the Swede.

"You need time. David did extremely well and we will see. I know that
he canplay outside and inside. That's not a problem for me."

The Mirror claim that Campbell is his preferred choice.

Arsed

---------------------------------
[21] Bottom 4 tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
Are City trying to get themselves relegated before the derby to spare themselves the
embarrasment of us sending them on their way?

Middlesbrough  29 28
Man City       29 26
Coventry       29 24
Bradford       27 16

---------------------------------
[20] top 5 tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
Man Utd    29 67
Arsenal    29 53
Liverpool  27 45
Leicester  28 45
Leeds      29 44

Shock of the millenium as Hoolahoops intergalatic champs fall 2-0 to Leicester!

The Arse prick the bubbles 3-0

---------------------------------
[19] ROYLE: FANS ARE OUR MAINE HOPE [You're Bolloxed then]
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
"But we need to start taking our chances. We got a big boost at Newcastle and I get
the feeling the fans do believe again. As you can imagine, the mood has been buoyant
this week.

"We've now got the chance of a double against Southampton, but they
got the result of the week by beating Middlesbrough after losing to
Tranmere."

So no surprise that the Massive submarine is still in dive mode as they lose 0-1 to
Hoddles god squad

---------------------------------
[18] Ruud makes first team comeback today
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
As the S*n claims:

The Holland hitman failed a medical on his knee - and suffered a
cruciate ligament injury days later.

But he is in the PSV squad for today's clash with Roda JC after
scoring twice in a reserve match on Thursday night.

United boss Ferguson has always maintained he still wants to sign Van
Nistelrooy, 24, and has monitored every step of his recovery.

But United will not make a renewed £18.5m offer because of the
uncertainty over the future of the transfer system.

PSV spokesman Pedro Salazar Hewitt said: "The first thing is for him
to get fit playing for PSV and not think about a transfer to United
or any other club."

---------------------------------
[17] Make yer mind up!
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
As Karel backtracks (more than he did on the pitch then)

"Manchester United certainly gave me a lot," he admits. "It was my first foreign club
and I jumped in at the deep end and had to sink or swim.

"I had to rework my football style, speed up work with the ball and learn to play with
as few touches as possible. And of course I had to strengthen myself mentally."

"The right mentality is one half of success," he said. "As soon as a player starts to
have doubts about himself, that's when he joins the queue of footballers in the B
team.

"He becomes redundant for the club. I learnt that at Manchester, that was the key to
my finally being successful in football. In my later transfers I was a completely
different person, more self-confident."

---------------------------------
[16] A dodgy foreign haircut has a whinge
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
As troll doll Poborsky has a pop

"I feel at Lazio that I belong in the team and
that they respect me. That wasn't the case in Manchester," he said.

"I have no doubt that Lazio is the high point of my career," the Czech Republic star
added. "Lazio are on the same level as Manchester United, but here I've got a place in
the team.

And where exactly are Lazio in their Champs League group then?
And didn't they get rid of a certain Swede not so long a go? - Same level my arse

"It was impossible to compete with David Beckham on the right side of
midfield. The worst blow came when one of the midfielders got injured and
they didn't pick me, but chose some 17-year-old from the B team."

---------------------------------
[15] And O'Dreary joins in
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
"The referee has awarded a penalty for kicking out, and if that's the case then I
don't know how he (Barthez) is on the field to save it," said O'Leary.

And on the Viduka offside

"No Manchester United player has appealed for offside and I'm looking at Wes Brown and
he is gutted. He thinks he has conceded a goal.

"The players are all walking away and all of a sudden the linesman puts his flag up
and he has gifted them an offside. Mark said he was level at least - certainly not
offside."

---------------------------------
[14] Fergie has a go at Barber
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
"But I'm not sure the referee saw it because when the ball was cleared away my eye was
on him and he was looking towards the ball.

"There was a good shout from the crowd and that was a good enough reason to give the
penalty. You need strong referees in this game and unfortunately he is one of the
weaker ones.

"I know it was a hard game to handle because there were so many fouls in the match. It
was hard to keep the game flowing, and so he ended up just giving a foul to each team
to balance things out."

"But you don't get that consistency in decisions. Some goalkeeper or a defender next
week will get sent off for something similar."

For what its worth Harte did a Kewell special and jumped around like he'd been shot
way after Bartez's little tap.

---------------------------------
[13] Viduka on game
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
"I thought we were a little unlucky. We missed a penalty early on and battled hard.
For me we dominated most of the game and deserved to win."

Viduka was unsure if he was offside when Wes Brown put the ball in his own net in
injury time.

"It was a difficult one to call, a split-second decision. I was trying to make an
option for Lee (Bowyer) to cross. I don't know if I was offside.

"A draw was not really what we deserved - we deserved to win.

"United's back four did well. They battled hard all the match and stopped us. They
caught us on the break with the goal and we had to fight back.

"It is always good to get a goal and there is no better game to get it in."

---------------------------------
[12] More later
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
More news later this afternoon after the journey back from Helland Road

---------------------------------
[11] Fergie on rest of season
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
"We need to keep up a good level of performance until the end of the season and make
sure the players enjoy it," he insisted.

"I will make changes - the likes of Wilson, Greening, May and Chadwick will all get
games, as will Denis Irwin, who hasn't played for a bit and is fresh as a daisy. I
have to pick my moments, as we want to finish the season with a flourish, not in fits
and starts.

Superstar has been spotted doing his back stretching excercises for lifting trophies
and wasting champagne in anticipation!

---------------------------------
[10] Gergie on Leeds
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
"It was an astonishing win over in Anderlecht. They thrashed us, but Leeds did really
well. I think that was the best performance by an English side in Europe this season.
O'Leary is doing a good job. He's learning all the time, and has come back well after
a dodgy start to the season. He had a lot of injuries which are a test for any new
manager.

---------------------------------
[9] Fergie on today
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
"We've got a good record at Elland Road, we've only lost three of the last thirteen
there. It's a hostile atmosphere, but it never spills onto the pitch. There's lots of
feeling from the supporters but we will handle that. It brings an edge to our game but
the players always behave themselves. It's competitive but never nasty."

"It's going to be a hard game"

---------------------------------
[8] Fergie on last Sunday
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
"Last Sunday was a great boost for us,".

"We gave ourselves a bit of a shake after Tuesday's game against Valencia. We were all
disappointed at that. We needed a shake, and it was a great day for Dwight. The
finishing was excellent. I'll have to decide tomorrow if he plays or not. It was a
long journey for him from Jamaica, but it's hard to drop someone who's just scored a
hat-trick.

"The players knew they had to do something."

---------------------------------
[7] A fishing story in Football 365
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
As they claim an OT 'insider' reckons Steve McClaren won't be offered Fergies job as
it won't match the profile of the 'brand'

'An Old Trafford insider has revealed to Football365 that McClaren has been told that,
although his future as a coach is secure after Ferguson retires next year, he will not
even be considered as the Scot's successor. United would rather risk the break-up of
the current squad than risk the loss of their standing as one of the biggest brand
names in the world'

'But the Old Trafford board has different ideas and they have approached a 'mystery
man' whose identity is only known by the handful of men who form the inner circle at
Old Trafford. Only last week Roma boss Fabio Capello said that he wanted to test
himself at Manchester United, while Marcello Lippi has been linked with the job on a
regular basis since Ferguson first announced his intention to retire. Both would fit
the bill.'

'What has become clear to anyone who knows about the machinations inside Old Trafford
is that McClaren does not fit the bill. His low profile does not suit the public image
of the club and there are fears that big-name players would not clamour to link up
with the former Derby assistant. What remains to be seen is whether the big names
already at the club will clamour to leave if he is not in charge.'

---------------------------------
[6] Gary Nev on the Sheep
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
'It has been clear for some time that David O'Leary was intent on formulating a big,
impressive squad and he has done so.

'But it takes time for new players to bed in properly and since Christmas we have
started to see the real form of the team. Next season you will see the results, with
Leeds as one of our big challengers.'

---------------------------------
[5] Ole on Eric
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
"He was a fantastic player.

"He was the best I've played with and no disrespect to the other players because
they're fantastic, but he was the best player. He was number one.

"It's a good feeling and a strange feeling. Only once in a lifetime do you get one of
these players. He created so many chances for everyone."

"I scored on my debut, turned around and the first to come and celebrate was Eric.
That was special."

---------------------------------
[4] Eric H says - 'they wanna be together'
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
"I genuinely believe every one of these young players wants to remain here. This team
will get even better," says Harrison. "They want to be the best-ever United team and
the only way they can do that is by sticking together. OK, it will be a nervy time
when the manager leaves but everything is in place for his successor, whether it be
Steve McClaren, a foreigner or whoever."

---------------------------------
[3] It still haunts him
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
Which is nice!

Whinger says he wants to put that "traumatic day" out of his mind

"We were all very hurt by the experience. Everything went against us.

"At half time the possession was 51-49 per cent in our favour, yet we were 5-1 down.
That sums it up.

He really must get off on this stuff eh?

"We can talk about that match as much as we like but it can't change anything. You
have to look forward and give the right answer on the field."

---------------------------------
[2] Whingers World
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
Party on Arsene!

"All that talk is rubbish (on Barca rumours). I have a contract until the end of the
2002/03 season. I have never broken a contract and I have no intention of doing so.

"I want to do well at Arsenal. What I do when my contract is finished is not decided.
Maybe I will be here for much longer."

---------------------------------
[1] Giggsy on Leeds
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, March 3, 2001 by tb:
"I expect Leeds to be one of our main challengers in the next couple of seasons,"
"Especially now they have so much experience in the Champions League.

"Leeds have done unbelievably well in Europe this season.
"To beat the Italian champions Lazio in their own stadium just before Christmas was a
result that made everyone sit up and take notice.
"That will have a knock-on effect in the Premiership next season
"Leeds are overflowing with good players, but I've been really impressed with Rio
Ferdinand since he joined.

"I think he has handled himself really well since his £18million transfer from west
Ham.
"He must have been under a lot of pressure, but you wouldn't know it in the way he's
been playing lately."

---------------------------------
[38] Telling it like it is
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Zoe Ball on Radio 5

"I am the world's worst Man United fan - I haven't seen them play for 9 months".

---------------------------------
[37] You used to be part of a big club
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
If anything sums up the gulf between us and the rest. United may have their, many,
faults but can you imagine them handling the announcement of Kiddo's promotion as
hamfisted as the Sheep did. The United would have given a fully briefed and explaning
press release and statement, rather than O'Dreary announcing it himself and causing
all sorts of speculation that he'd left the job, etc. Amateurs!

---------------------------------
[36] Squads for Sheep
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Leeds team (from): Martyn, Kelly, Harte, Dacourt, Radebe, Ferdinand, Keane, Viduka,
Kewell, Bowyer, Wilcox, Smith, Mills, Bakke, Matteo, Batty, Burns, Maybury, Robinson.

The United team (from): Barthez, G Neville, Stam, Brown, Silvestre, Beckham, Keane,
Butt, Scholes, Yorke, Solskjaer, Sheringham, Chadwick, Irwin, Wallwork, Wilson, van
der Gouw.

---------------------------------
[35] Delusional
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
And Joe Royle said: "We need to start taking our chances, although I think there has
been a big improvement since Christmas."

(what one win!)

"We got a big boost at Newcastle and I get the feeling the fans do believe again. I
don't think the morale has been that bad and as you can imagine the mood has been
buoyant this week. We've now got the chance of a double against Southampton but they
got the result of the week by beating Middlesbrough after losing to Tranmere in the FA
Cup."

And the usual crap from Goater: "Our fans have been brilliant and personally I love
playing in front of them."

What even when they boo you off?

---------------------------------
[34] Gossip from the Birdman
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
"A (very reliable) little dickbird tells me the United players have stuck a £2 coin to
the floor at Carrington - so they can have a laugh at kids on trips there desperately
trying to get the thing up off the floor. Like it."

---------------------------------
[33] Changes at Leeds afoot - Kidd becomes coach, O'Leary, general manager
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Soon as this was announced the internet world went mad with talk of O'leary stepping
down when that is clearly not the case (shame...) - strange time to announce it though
before our game it has to be said (to spark Kiddo into life for his promotion maybe
being the reason?) but reading between the lines all it means is Kiddo will do the job
he did at OT and O'Leary will still be boss and manager but spend less time on the
training side, et al. So who cares.

Anyway story just in

'O'Leary in shock Leeds role change
Leeds United manager David O'Leary is stepping down from day-to-day duties in charge
of the first team at Elland Road.  The club have appointed Brian Kidd as head coach
with Eddie Gray remaining as assistant manager.

O'Leary said: "I've made Brian Kidd the new head coach at Leeds, a role which he
started on Friday. There isn't a much better coach than him in the country or in
Europe.  He has fulfilled his task as youth development coach here earlier than I
thought, so I felt there was no point in keeping him in that role any longer.  I've
never had a first-team coach - so now, with Brian in place, it will give me a break
and I can step away from the lads a little bit.  Instead of taking two hours for each
training session I can step in for maybe 15 or 20 minutes and oversee things."

Kidd said: "I'm delighted to move into my new role at Leeds United. I've thoroughly
enjoyed my time here and have received great support in putting together our new youth
development team.  There are some very talented and caring people on the staff. I'm
sure the new youth set-up will go from strength to strength - but when the boss
invited me to change roles I was happy to oblige.  I am looking forward to working
with the outstanding group of players we have here. It is a great challenge."