---------------------------------
[1] Final score
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
Panathanaikos 1 United 1
Scholes 90th minute

Report and comment later on what was, at best, a dreadful performance.

---------------------------------
[44] Ole speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"My body can still feel the hard game at  Elland Road, but I think I ll be ready for
Wednesday s game against  Panathinaikos. We beat them 3-1 at home in our last meeting,
but I was  injured at the time. I don t know any of their players in particular, but
they seem a very good technical team and will work very hard in front of  their home
crowd. We will of course fight for victory and a place in the  quarter-finals, but
know that it will be a tough match.

I hope and believe those who have picked up minor injuries will be ready for  kick off
and that we ll be a tough team to beat. Butty though is injured, and  will miss the
game. We ve just arrived in Athens, and I can assure you that the climate is very
different from what I ve been used to lately. Those of you who saw pictures  from the
games in Belfast on Wednesday and Elland Road on Saturday may have
noticed the cold weather, although the temperature in the Leeds game was  quite high...

Games against Leeds are always very tough, especially when they re at Elland  Road.
The game wasn t particularly well played, but it was exciting. Hard  tackles,
free-kicks, a saved penalty and a Leeds goal disallowed in extra  time. The disallowed
goal was perhaps disputable, and maybe the TV footage showed  that it wasn t offside.
It sure isn t easy to be a linesman, making those  crucial decisions in split seconds.
I watched the replay many times before I  could tell if it was offside or not.

Overall, we should be satisfied with a draw, but I m disappointed that we  conceded
the late goal and that we didn t control the game after we went 1-0 up."

---------------------------------
[43] Leeds fans nicked
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Three Leeds United football fans have been arrested by Spanish police after their
team's 3-2 defeat against Real Madrid on Tuesday night.'

A spokesman for the Foreign Office said: "Three Leeds United football fans have been
arrested by police after an altercation following last night's game."

---------------------------------
[42] What a waste - what a loon
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Stan Collymore has brought his controversial career to a shock end by announcing his
retirement at the age of 30. Collymore joined Spanish side Real Oviedo on January 31
after a brief and unhappy spell with Bradford.'

His spokesman Ian Monk said: "Stan Collymore has decided, after discussions with his
family and close friends, to give up playing professional football. He has just turned
30 and believes that the time is right to explore other career opportunities which are
available to him. He also wants to spend as much time as possible with his family, in
particular his son Thomas and his fiance Estelle. Stan will always be grateful to the
many people in football who have helped and supported him throughout his career. His
club, Oviedo, is being informed of his decision."

---------------------------------
[41] One Leeds player cleared
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Leeds United footballer Tony Hackworth has been cleared of taking part in an attack
on an Asian student on the orders of the trial judge at Hull Crown Court.'

---------------------------------
[40] Wenger still unhappy
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
With new transfer system (make that life in general)

"It looks like the people who negotiated it are happy with the deal, but the players
look unhappy and directors don't look completely happy. I just wanted to protect
football, which is the game I love, in the hope that other people would see it in that
way as well. But I will have to read the details first. There's an exception in there
with the breach of contract. I am scared that this exception will become the rule and,
if that happens, it means the law is not good. If you're only out for four months then
I'm scared the breach of contract rule would basically become the rule of the new
transfer market. It's not right that six or seven players can come at the start of the
season and then say they are off to play for someone else. When that happens, it's the
game that suffers. The fans will not keep coming to games when they don't know who is
in the side."

---------------------------------
[39] Raul to face UEFA wrath
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
For the handball.

A Uefa spokesman said: "We will be taking action against Real Madrid striker Raul. The
disciplinary committee have confirmed they have opened the case against him and action
will be taken. I don't think the disciplinary committee will ban Raul for the use of
his hand but a fine may be applied. It is now a case of waiting to see what verdict
the disciplinary panel will come to."

---------------------------------
[38] Safe standing
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
With 365 nearly quiet and teamtalk seemingly ignoring the story, we mustn't lose heart
and keep the pressure going.

www.FA-Premier.com is running series of Features on the great debate.

This includes an article by Adam Brown at:
(link:http://www.fa-premier.com/features/f04030101.html)
http://www.fa-premier.com/features/f04030101.html

The fans' group German satdia report (with pics) is online at:
(link:http://www.fa-premier.com/features/safereport.html)
http://www.fa-premier.com/features/safereport.html

They are running a Poll too at:
(link:http://www.fa-premier.com/poll/index2.html)
http://www.fa-premier.com/poll/index2.html

get voting. You know what to do!

---------------------------------
[37] Ruud wants Thursday return
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
'PSV Eindhoven's Ruud van Nistelrooy may make his European comeback at
Kaiserslautern on Thursday'

"I don't expect to be starting on Thursday. However, I feel absolutely fine. I'm
actually even faster than I used to be. I've worked so  hard on recovering".

---------------------------------
[36] United will play Celtic twice?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the S*N

'THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN IS ON...MANCHESTER UNITED will battle it out with Celtic for
the title of  champions of Britain. The double-header between England and Scotland's
top two club sides  will take place at the start of next season. And the contests will
rake in thousands for two of their stars -  Celtic Park defender Tom Boyd, 35, and Old
Trafford winger Ryan  Giggs, 27.  The two matches will be testimonials for the popular
duo, who have  both been at their clubs for 10 years. Bosses Alex Ferguson and Martin
O'Neill have already been in contact  to find suitable dates. There are still problems
to be overcome because United want to play  in August - when Celtic will be involved
in the preliminary round of the Champions League.'

---------------------------------
[35] Leading scorers so far
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
TOP SCORERS

SIX
Rivaldo (Barcelona), Simone (Monaco)

FIVE
Anelka (PSG), Bowyer (Leeds), Johnsen (Rosenborg), Inzaghi
(Juventus), Lopez (Lazio), Radzinski (Anderlecht), Raul (Real
Madrid), Scholes (Man United)

FOUR
Cole (Man United), Figo (Real Madrid), Guti (Real Madrid), Helguera
(Real Madrid), Jardel (Galatasaray), Jose Mari (AC Milan), Marcao
(Spartak Moscow), Marlet (Olympique Lyonnais), Morientes (Real
Madrid), Carlos (Real Madrid), Scholl (Bayern Munchen), Schopp (Sturm
Graz), Sheringham (Man United), Shevchenko (AC Milan), Smith (Leeds),
Stoica (Anderlecht), Titov (Spartak Moscow)

---------------------------------
[34] Group so far
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
GROUP A
LATEST STANDINGS

P W D L F A Pts
Man United 4 2 2 0 6 2 8
Valencia 4 1 3 0 3 1 6
Sturm Graz 4 2 0 2 4 5 6
Panathinaikos 4 0 1 3 2 7 1

---------------------------------
[33] Fergie on difference between n 1999
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"They are more mentally strong now than they were then. They are more mature now
because of the experience they have  gathered since then and they are stronger for it."

---------------------------------
[32] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It's an interesting section with Sturm Graz and Valencia both on six
points. Sturm's home record is phenomenal, we are the only team to
have won or even score at their ground, so it will be interesting to
see what happens in that game. It will certainly have a bearing on
the outcome if Sturm Graz were to win then Valencia would be in
trouble. We are aware that the Greeks are a good side, they did very well  against us
in the first half at Old Trafford. They finally buckled to  our pressure in the second
half but it was a terrific game. Hopefully  we can play as well as we did then. I want
to play my strongest side".

---------------------------------
[31] More Fergie on Chadwick
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"There is every  possibility of an opportunity for him. I might even start him. We
have been looking at videos of Panathanaikos and we are wondering  what to do with the
left side. The boy has great courage and he certainly doesn't lack confidence. He has
wonderful balance, the balance that takes him  past defenders. And he can take a
kicking, get up and get on with it. At Leeds on Saturday you had Harry Kewell
attacking down one side of  the pitch and Luke Chadwick attacking down the other. And
it was the  only bright spot in the game! Luke has got a good temperament. He made his
full Premier League  debut at Derby this season and did very, very well and he's come
on a  few times since. He's coming along nicely."

---------------------------------
[30] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Historically, Panathinaikos has never been the easiest of places to
come. Valencia found it hard here this time and Juventus lost here last  year.
Certainly, there is no point in us hoping that Panathinaikos will be  under par
because they can't qualify and because they're going  through a period of disruption.
I don't think they are going to lay down for us. So we must perform."

---------------------------------
[29] Gary Nev on tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The situation is quite easy, we need to win one of our last two  games but the game
in Athens is massive for us. We had the frightening experience of the Dynamo Kiev
incident at  Old Trafford and we don't want to go through that again. We know we  have
to finish the job off against Panathinaikos because I wouldn't  like to go to a
last-night nail-biter once more.

It may be necessary that we have to win against Graz next week ,  but it wouldn't
frighten us if that had to be the case. But I would  much prefer that we performed
against Panathinaikos and finished it  early. The Kiev let-off was a shock to us. It
was a definite reminder to
us all how close we were to be being put out of the European Cup. We
have now got to prove that we are too good to be put in that position
again. We need to perform to a level we know we are capable of. We saw a  little bit
of that against Arsenal the other Sunday. It is okay talking about us having shown
signs of stamping our  authority again on Europe in some matches but actions speak
louder  than words - we have to go and show it in Athens."

---------------------------------
[28] Phil Neville on Fergie leaving
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"There's a structure in place from the youth set- up all the way to the first team
that's bred success over the years. So why  change it? But different managers have
different ideas. The way I'm looking at it is it's a long way off until the boss
retires, and when the new manager comes in, that's when we'll  deal with the new
changes in the club."

---------------------------------
[27] Steve Bruce to sue
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Midas

'Former Manchester United  star Steve Bruce is considering legal action against his
former  chairman at Huddersfield  Town, Barry Rubery, after the club's owner accused
him of "wasting"  £3 million.

In Saturday's  programme notes, Rubery said: "The biggest mistake I made was
believing that a  great footballer would make a great football manager. I was
absolutely wrong. Some £3 million was wasted on  players brought in by Steve Bruce who
we have now thankfully parted  company with,  and that is money that could have been
spent more wisely by a more  experienced  manager without an ego to feed When you look
at the situation Lou inherited it  is astonishing  that we now find ourselves with a
genuine chance to remain in  Division One. The  credit is shared between Lou and his
players."

---------------------------------
[26] Keano too
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Hopefully we will have another chance against them, but we must qualify first. I
think Madrid are the team to beat and I think they are an outstanding team. I think
they are better than last year, but that's just my personal opinion and there are
still so many outstanding teams left - Bayern Munich and teams like that, while the
English teams have got a good chance. But Madrid won it last year so they are the team
we have got to look at. I watch them most weeks on the Spanish football and to me they
are playing really well."

---------------------------------
[25] Fergie fancies Real final
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Revenge does not come into it in a game of football for us. "There's no point to
that. Hopefully if we do meet Real Madrid this season, it will be in Milan. We respect
the ability of Real Madrid. We think they are favourites for the cup and they have
some fantastic players. Last year we maybe should have done better so who knows?"

---------------------------------
[24] Now this is bizarre
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
It's noon here - which makes it 2pm in Greece. Where as I would now be stumbling over
and off my trolley on a euro away in the heat, I am skint, back home, sober and
looking forward to watching the game on tv. Surreal!

---------------------------------
[23] Raimond on his injury and op
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The operation was necessary at this time and I expect to be back playing again within
a month".

---------------------------------
[22] Get Beckham in a story and you'll get publicity...
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
'David Beckham is the star sports chiefs want to kick off next year's Commonwealth
Games in Manchester. Organisers are considering asking the Manchester United star to
carry the Queen's Baton into the city next year. Beckham is the high-profile
personality Games chiefs believe can sell the event on an international scale.'

"It would be absolutely fantastic to get Beckham to carry the Baton," said Steve Cram.
"But I don't expect him to be asked until a few days before the event. I'm convinced
the Commonwealth Games will be a huge success. Too often we think when things are
built they will be a white elephant. But who would have thought the Velodrome in
Manchester would have had the effect it has?"

---------------------------------
[21] Typical stitch up
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Football fan Mark Forrester has had his appeal against his rioting conviction
adjourned. Forrester was the only England football fan convicted of rioting in
Brussels during the Euro 2000 championships. A judge in the Brussels appeal court said
the case must be postponed because the only prosecution witness was not present.
Forrester, 34, left the 20-minute hearing furious - and facing the prospect of more
expense and delay before he can attempt to clear his name. He returned to Brussels
ready to produce police video evidence which was not shown at his trial last June. He
says it clearly shows he had nothing to do with riots in the city centre for which he
was convicted and jailed - the only Briton to be held during the soccer tournament.

Back in court, prosecution lawyers insisted that if Forrester wanted to show the
10-minute video tape, the police officer whose evidence prompted a conviction should
be present. Outside court Forrester said: "I was disgusted with the Belgian justice
system after my original trial and I still am. The prosecution witness on whose
evidence I was convicted should have been present. Now I must change all my plans and
come back to Brussels yet again."

The Aston Villa fan from Great Bar, Birmingham, lost his job as a plant hire manager
when he was convicted and although he was released to return home almost immediately
because of the pending appeal, he has been unable to obtain work.'

---------------------------------
[20] Song of the day?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Luke Chadwick is Fuckin' Quick
Seen more fat on an oven chip
does a little stunt and makes you look a cunt
our kid Chadwick!'

---------------------------------
[19] Pointless story of the day?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Victoria Beckham's sister is dating a David Beckham lookalike. Louise Adams met
semi-professional footballer Noel Imber at a London nightclub. He has a diamond ear
stud and a Beckham-style hair cut. The pair were spotted at a birthday party for the
Beckhams' son Brooklyn. Noel, 24, is a goalkeeper with non-league team Boreham Wood. A
source from the club told The Sun: "He always fancied himself as David Beckham. "He
even comes to training with his Louis Vuitton bag." But his dad, Keith Imber said Noel
wasn't trying to copy the England footballer. "He has had his head shaved since he was
seven years old and he's always been a sharp dresser."

---------------------------------
[18] Ref apologises to Leeds
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
For not seeing handball for Madrid's first goal.

Last night's results

Arse 1 Moscow 0
Lyon beat Bayern meaning it goes to the wire
Madrid 3 Sheep 2

O'Leary: "The one thing that I admire is that the referee asked to come into the
dressing room. He came in and apologised to every player about the first goal. He said
he didn't see it and if he didn't see it then he can't give it. So it takes a big man
and a brave man to come in an admit what he did, particularly as we didn't deserve to
lose here tonight. Their first two goals were freaks which you cannot legislate for.
But we always looked a threat and considering the players we had out, it was a
fantastic performance and they did themselves proud. Madrid are an excellent side who
I don't think will be far away from winning the competition, so our performance
against the holders of the Champions League was excellent."

---------------------------------
[17] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We're going out to win it. It's an important game. If we win, we're through to the
next stage.  We got off to a good start in this group, and we want to capitalise  on
that. We'll be in a strong position if we win in Athens. By the  end of the night,
we'll know the result of the Sturm Graz vs Valencia  game, so we'll know what we have
to do against Graz to finish top of  the group.

It's important to finish top, as you want to avoid the other big
clubs. If you remember last years' game against Panathinaikos it was a  great game, a
terrific first half and they played very well. They'll try to start very strong and
it's important that we quell  that. We have to keep possession"

So Leeds and Arse - you are certainly not big clubs in Europe!

---------------------------------
[16] Utd best club side ever?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
MANUTD.COM say: REDS SECOND BEST EVER but in fact what this actually
says is United are the greatest ever club side. Read it and weap
Scouse Twats.

>From official site

'REDS SECOND BEST EVER...

Manchester United's Treble-winning team have been voted the second
best side in the history of world football. FourFourTwo magazine
polled Premiership managers and chairmen, who reckon that the Reds
team who won the League, FA Cup and European Cup are second only to
the legendary Brazilian team from the 1970 World Cup.'

---------------------------------
[15] More from Fergie on strikers
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"If you go back two years Cole and Yorke as a partnership during that incredible
season scored something like 50 goals between them. Really 99 times out of 100 I was
always going to pick them because  of that kind of form. But present day I think there
have been some developments, i.e. Teddy Sheringham's form has been outstanding. Ole
Gunnar Solskjaer is improving all the time. He's playing well  and if you take the
performance of Yorke against Arsenal 10 days ago then you  would say hopefully
Dwight's season is starting now.

Of course, Andy Cole has come back from his injury with great form. So the situation
now is I've no idea who my two strikers are because  they're all playing well so from
game to game it may change and I will
freshen it up. Certainly I will play whichever pair I think are suitable for a
particular game."

---------------------------------
[14] Red News betting tip
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
With Utd 10/11 on - a 11/5 half-time/full-time looks good, even better all our
strikers are 9/2 first to score. Good odds, and back the one you fancy the most - in
our case, Mr.Andrew Cole, if selected!

---------------------------------
[13] Greek probable team
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
Nikopolidis; Henriksen, Goumas, Fyssas, Olivares; Galetto, Basinas, Boateng,
Karagounis/Pflipsen; Warzycha, Vlaovic.

---------------------------------
[12] Greek coach on chances
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
Stratos  Apostolakis (supports Scousers - booooo!): "The team isn't in the best
condition right now. We're trying to recover and bring it back to what it was like
before. The team has played 32 big games this season in a period of seven  months.
That's an average of one serious game every week, plus the fact that our preparations
during the summer were very short. So the team is tired and they have not had time to
prepare. That's why they are not so good at the moment. We can't change too many
things right now and many of the players are already playing to their limits. They are
exhausted, injured and I have people who can't play.

We have this game against Manchester United, but I'm also thinking
about PAOK. Our objective for the rest of the season is to try and finish in  second
position in the league and that is why PAOK is such a big game. We want to try and
maintain the position we are in until the end of the season."

---------------------------------
[11] Latest transfer gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
That we're after both Ball and Jeffers of Everton - why don't they add Richard Gough
to make it sound even more plausible?!

---------------------------------
[10] Fergie on having four fit strikers
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It is  a real headache, sometimes I wish one of them would give me an excuse  to drop
them, maybe by looking at me in a funny way or something."

---------------------------------
[9] Fergie on Leeds spat
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It was just a reminder to people that our disciplinary record is fantastic. I think
that in the context of a football match, certainly, criticism of controlling referees
doesn't have any foundation. I think it's important for Manchester United to remind
people of certain factors, certainly in terms of penalty kicks. If a team is dominant
in relation to referees then it will be shown in statistics like sendings-off against
Manchester United or penalty kicks. That's always a great barometer of bias from
referees. I think it's important that we should point these things out from time to
time and remind people."

---------------------------------
[8] Well he is from Yorkshire...
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
'A Bradford academic believes the urge to eat each other is only a small step away. Dr
Timothy Taylor says it is only relatively recently that humans gave up the practice of
eating their fellow man. The lecturer in archaeological sciences is helping Channel 4
make a documentary about cannibalism.

Dr Taylor told the Telegraph and Argus: "I think the fact we live near supermarkets
and are allowed to live a life of luxury makes us think cannibalism is horrific. But
it doesn't take much - a serious food shortage or a crisis - to bring the instinct to
survive back to the surface. There have been a number of cases recently where people
have been murdered in Russia and turned into their equivalent of ravioli. It's simply
because of poverty."

I'm poor - that doesn't mean I'm opening a Bates Motel franchise does it!

---------------------------------
[7] Bizzare quote of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Mario Melchiot of Chelsea. Who cares about what he thinks of Craig David - and
>why?!

"Craig David - A victim of his own success. My week has been taken up with the injury
but I did notice that Craig David,  who I really admire, missed out on getting an
award at the Brits ceremony. I  couldn't believe that.  Obviously, he was up for so
many awards that the votes for him were spread  too thinly. It's like fancying too
many women in one club and ending up with  none of them. But it's still unbelievable
that someone with so much talent, who's had so  many good songs, missed out. It just
shows you that the music business is  like football: unpredictable. You think you're
favourites to win a game and  you can end up coming away with nothing."

Er, right Mario...

---------------------------------
[6] Johnsen injury latest
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
Ronnie Johnsen: "The last couple of weeks has gone very well with my rehabilitation,
and I  hope to be able to do some interval and sprint training by the end of the
week. On Monday, I managed to run around 75 percent of full pace. I cannot say when I
will be 100 percent but I can see the end of it now. I  am very much looking forward
to playing again".

---------------------------------
[5] Fergie meets Eric, Number 2
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the Mirror

'GREECE'S very own Eric Cantona came face to face with Sir Alex  Ferguson last night.
The look-alike met the Manchester United's manager hours ahead of  their crucial
Champions League clash with Panaithinaikos.  Bar owner Stratos Papaphilipou presented
the United boss with a  bouquet of flowers in the Olympic Stadium in Athens.

Fergie thought he was seeing double as the United fan approached him
to hail the former king of Old Trafford.  Papaphilipou said: "I am a massive
Manchester United fan and people  say I look like Cantona. I have invited the team to
my bar for a free  meal and drink."

---------------------------------
[4] Mirror gets it wrong again
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
Read this story from the Mirror...

'THE FACTS speak for themselves - only two visiting teams have won
penalties at Old Trafford in the last eight years.  Back on December 4, 1993, Norwich
were given a spot-kick which winger  Ruel Fox scored. And on January 29 last year
Manchester United  skipper Roy Keane led vehement protests after Middlesbrough were
awarded a penalty.  When the kick was finally taken, Brazilian Juninho missed.'

Now what were those penalties lost against Barca, Juve and others in Europe
then...aAnd considering the  domination of play we have - especially at home - its
surprising we  haven't had many more penalties ourselves.

---------------------------------
[3] Liklihood of English Quarter looms
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
A lot of presuming of course but if things stayed as they were and we won our group
then we have a 66% chance of being chosen (as a group winner) against two of the
English second placed teams - meaning Arse or Leeds and one other, which could be
Galatasaray. Draw is on March 16th - you'll see it here as it happens.

---------------------------------
[2] More Rotterdam memories wanted
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
Some great ones in so far - anyone else fancy it? (and anyone part of the Madchester
scene fancy doing a link short piece?)

For Red News 77 - the decade anniversary of Rotterdam (May 15th 1991)
- we plan to do a feature on that wonderful night with memories of that mad Dutch
experience.

Like the Massive memories piece in RN 75 we're looking for some great recollections
and very short special articles - not the standard memories but the unusual memories
of the night, trip, game, day, etc - what it meant to you, strange events, emotional
ties, wild celebrations, from Rotterdam or even back home.

We'd love to hear your great, surreal, unique experiences from that night - and if any
of you have any special photos (we'll of
course return them) from the ground, day, etc, we'd love to include them.

Send anything to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[1] Red News teletext page - ITV page 514
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
Once again, as seems habitual at this manic time of the season, it's hard to take in
individual fixtures with so many games each week - but the pure brilliance of Utd was
encapsulated in the last two games, from attacking brilliance in the 6-1 win (which
we're still not bored of repeating...so 6-1) to defensive peak in the 1-1 draw in yet
another team's Cup Final. Strange that the usual ABU nonsense of us getting away with
everything is aired for the umpteenth time over the past few years - yet few failing
to take in fergie's spot on comments about us, for the umpeenth time over the past few
years, having the best fair play record. If we got all the decisions surely a penalty
wouldn't have been awarded in the first place...or do we not have a right to save them
now?! Anyway, time moves on apace and it's massive (yep, really massive) games in the
League and Europe from here on in. One seems certain, the other. Well, we really do
need to keep on top of our game from here on in.