RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[31] GMP quote in full
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Greater Manchester Police are aware of the allegations made by certain newspaper
reports. We have been in touch with Manchester United Football Club and are looking
into this matter."

---------------------------------
[30] Telegraph on Kelly
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
'NED KELLY, the head of security at Manchester United, has been suspended from all
duties at Old Trafford pending an investigation into allegations of ticket touting
made in a Sunday newspaper.

He adopted a belligerent stance last night, alleging he was set up in "an act of
entrapment" and promising to prove his innocence.

"I'm not going to take this lying down," he said. "I've done nothing wrong." He then
said any further comment would have to be made through his solicitor.'

---------------------------------
[29] Transfer latest
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From MEN

'Forlan’s impact at Carrington could also end United’s interest in West Ham’s Paolo Di
Canio.

The Reds are believed to have been in contact with the London outfit again yesterday
but United’s pursuit is now going cold. A deal for the 33-year-old before Thursday’s
midnight Champions League deadline is looking unlikely and that would finish off the
chase.

Fergie could still have his desired quota of four strikers at his disposal for the
run-in, with Dwight Yorke’s expected exit to either Sunderland or Middlesbrough yet to
materialise.'

---------------------------------
[28] Giggs on current form
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
‘‘I don’t think we are sinking back into the November situation. We played well
against Liverpool and deserved something from the match. We were pleased with our
performance in that one. We didn’t play to our capabilities against Middlesbrough but
we still did enough to dominate and I don’t think you can read too much in a cup
match. A week ago we were flying and it hasn’t suddenly gone to pieces. But we do need
to get back to winning ways or at least get points from every league match from now
on. It will be tough at Bolton. It’s a derby match and, just like in the FA Cup,
anything could happen. They have produced some unbelievable results and we are going
to have to work hard to get something tonight.’’

---------------------------------
[27] More from Giggs
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
‘‘I do stretching exercises and weights and over the years we’ve looked at new beds,
different cars etc to see if we can discover the cause and how to avoid them. The
latest one in Munich was frustrating because it tore when I was just dribbling in
training. I knew instantly it was worse than normal. The thing was that it was my
right leg which I haven’t had any problems with for five years! That’s the frustrating
part about it all. Of course I never stop thinking about it when I am injured but once
I am fit, as I am now, it’s not in the back of my mind at all. I need that run in the
side because whenever I’ve been in, I’ve felt my form was good and if I could get a
few games under my belt I’d just get better and better. That’s what I need to achieve
now.’’

---------------------------------
[26] Giggs on hamstring problems
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
‘‘This year it has been frustrating and bitty. There have been a lot of games I have
missed out on. I am looking forward to getting a long and consistent run going. I need
the games now and I want to play in them all. I do have to live with the hamstring
shadow hanging over me because of my history. It keeps coming back. Over the last few
years I felt I’d got on top of it with the help of our medical staff. I have played
40-odd matches a season. We feel we have covered everything possible to avoid these
kind of injuries. I am in a routine now every day before and after training."

---------------------------------
[25] More on Youth Cup game
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From official site

'United's FA Youth Cup tie against Hartlepool has been confirmed as Wednesday 6
February, and the match will be played at Old Trafford. United beat Birmingham City in
the fourth round to reach the last sixteen. Kick off at the Theatre of Dreams will be
at 19:00'

---------------------------------
[24] Bolton boss on Ricketts
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
Sam Allardyce:

"Michael is a cool finisher who relishes playing against the big sides. The key to
beating United is bring brave and taking your chances"

---------------------------------
[23] Fergie says how vital tonight is
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"At this stage of the season we should be going into overdrive, not losing games. One
more defeat could be fatal."

---------------------------------
[22] Keane on Boro
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"We were hoping to have a good cup run because it's been a few years now since we had
a decent one. We were hoping to put that right this year but now we have to
concentrate on the championship and the European Cup which would have been our
priorities - but we were still hoping to have a good cup run. But that's football. We
are obviously disappointed as we never felt we were going to lose the match but we
probably didn't do enough to win it either. It was looking like a replay and then
disaster."

---------------------------------
[21] Giggs on Bolton
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"They've got a lot of experienced players, who've played at the top. That's obviously
helped them and they've got youngsters like Kevin Nolan and Michael Ricketts and they
will be looking to players like that to see them through.  I think it's important to
have experience and the whole back line has so much experience, especially in the
centre of the defence.  They've also got a good manager in Sam Allardyce.  It's a big
derby game. The last time we played at the Reebok it was quite fiery."

---------------------------------
[20] Giggs on flu last week
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I just had a little bit of flu on Monday and obviously the game on Tuesday against
Liverpool took it out of me. I was in bed all week and I just travelled with the team
on Friday."

---------------------------------
[19] Gordon McQueen on Blanc
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Blanc's mistake against Middlesbrough was a howler, no question,. But Sir Alex
Ferguson is a ruthless manager and would have had him out of the team weeks ago if he
thought he was no good. It's interesting that Blanc was singled out for criticism when
United were going through their bad spell earlier in the season. But no-one mentioned
him when United went on their eight-match winning run and he was really solid at the
back. It was a pity he made that mistake at Middlesbrough, because I think he's been a
real asset since he arrived. There's no question that he lacks pace, but he has so
many other great qualities. He has great aerial ability, so much experience to draw on
and he is a class apart when it comes to bringing the ball out at the back. It won't
be a problem for him bouncing back. All defenders make mistakes and you just get on
with it. You just forget about it and move on."

---------------------------------
[18] McClaren on Yorke bid
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"No agreement has been reached with Manchester United or the player. The situation is
ongoing, but we can only keep things going for so long until it's materialised or dead
and buried - and I think we're getting towards that situation now"

---------------------------------
[17] Thompson pleads mitigating circumstances
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
And there we were thinking when we saw it that it was only one coin.

Thompson on Carragher:

"He was hit by a hail of coins, not just one, and they were not thrown by just the one
spectator either. "In the first case he was the victim of a dreadful attempted tackle
and then he suffered terrible verbal abuse before the objects were thrown at him.
Jamie was frustrated and angry, and, while it doesn't make it right, we can't have a
witch-hunt with fans given a sanction to bait players. More and more we're seeing
missiles thrown at players. It is sad it may have taken a player tosnap and show his
frustration before something is done about it. I hope this acts as a catalyst, because
there is growing frustration among players about what's been happening up and down the
country."

---------------------------------
[16] GMP on Kelly allegations
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"We are looking into the matter"

---------------------------------
[15] Bolton boss on game
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
Sam Allardyce:

"Their defensive record is usually the best in the division, but this time round it's
not so. You've got a better chance of scoring a goal against Manchester United than in
the last few seasons.We hope we can get at their back four at some stage and, I hope,
get a chance to score against them. If we do get a chance we must take it."

---------------------------------
[14] Michael Ricketts on tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
“I don’t think he will make the same mistake again, even though they have such quality
right the way through the squad. Sometimes I look around and think ‘I can’t believe
I’m on the same pitch as these lot’ but then again every team has got at least one or
two world-class players these days.  We got a lot of publicity after the win at Old
Trafford, but the headlines were mainly about their defence, because they’d lost to
Deportivo in the midweek as well. Obviously it was a great result because there aren’t
many teams who win there. But for me it didn’t have the same effect as it did on some
of the others. I’m not from the area and it wasn’t the one I had been looking forward
to all year.  That was playing at Villa Park. They released me as a schoolboy after a
year, so scoring two against them earlier in the season gave me a lot of pleasure.”

---------------------------------
[13] Quote of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
An interesting article by Henry Winter in the Telegraph on Arsenal's disciplinary
problems contains this telling sentence.

"At Manchester United, they watch another fireworks party at the Arsenal and reflect
privately on the sort of national condemnation they would receive for such myriad
misdeeds. If Sir Alex Ferguson's players had managed as many red cards as Wenger's,
there would have been questions in the House by now."

Paul.

---------------------------------
[12] massive news
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
I thought you played in Red - George Weah has retired.

---------------------------------
[11] Bolton in chaos?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the SUN

' BOLTON have sacked on-loan defender Djibril Diawara for breaching several club
disciplinary rules.

A club spokesman said: "We cannot condone whatsoever the way Djibril has conducted
himself over the last few weeks.

"We are extremely disappointed in his actions, and the club have had no alternative
but to terminate his contract with immediate effect.

"Professional footballers are role models and have a responsibility to the community
and their fans. They should act in a dignified and lawful manner."
Those include contravening pre-match curfews and drinking, which Bolton see as "a
serious offence".

The Senegal international, who arrived at the beginning of the season, will return to
Italian club Torino.

Diawara was expected to play some part in tonight’s match against Manchester United at
the Reebok Stadium, but his contract has now been terminated with immediate effect.

Diawara found it difficult coming to terms with life in the Barclaycard Premiership
and was in and out of the side.

His sudden departure, however, leaves Bolton short on numbers in defence because Colin
Hendry is sidelined with knee and ankle injuries.'

---------------------------------
[10] Bolton injury list is
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
Paul Warhurst, Per Frandsen and Colin Hendry.

---------------------------------
[9] Giggsy wins goal award
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Sky Sports

'Ryan Giggs' wonder goal against Arsenal in the 1999 semi-final has been voted the
greatest FA Cup goal ever in a poll of Sky Sports viewers.

The Manchester United winger's solo effort at Villa Park polled 42.75% of the vote,
eclipsing second-placed Ricky Villa of Tottenham who collected 10.17% for his mazy run
and strike against Manchester City in the FA Cup final replay of 1981.
Michael Owen's winning goal for Liverpool in last season's FA Cup final at Cardiff
earned him third place with 10.04% of the vote. '

---------------------------------
[8] SPS comment on Kelly suspension
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
"We have no comment to make; we are leaving that to Manchester United."

---------------------------------
[7] Early team news
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
Ruud and Giggs to start - Becks and Veron have late fitness tests.

---------------------------------
[6] Giggs - a MUST win tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
 “We have worked so hard to get back into the position we are in for the title. To
lose it now would be criminal. We have to go on another run and the game against
Bolton will be a big one.”

---------------------------------
[5] Tell us something we don't know
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, January 29, 2002 by bar-knee:
Bayern reveal they met with Keano two years ago to try and sign him - and RN can
reveal offered him nearly twice as much as his Utd deal.

Bayern president Franz Beckenbauer:

:“He was interested in joining us two years ago but maybe United offered him more
:money. Maybe we would move for him again but I’m afraid he might be too expensive.
:But he is a unique player. He is all over the pitch. He has a fantastic technique and
:scores goals. He is one of the best players in the world.”

[4] This will go