RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[31] Hofland keen on move
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
'My focus for this season is on PSV, that is all I am concentrating on. But my dream
is to play in England and there's no bigger club than Manchester United. There are a
lot of other big clubs as well so we'll have to wait and see what happens. But
Manchester are a great club and I have always liked them.
 I think if you see my style of play then you'll see it suits the English game - it's
the football for me. I've followed English football since I was eight. I've been out
injured for two months and the game against Leeds was only my third game back, so I've
got a lot to do to get back to my best form.  I'm only focused at the moment on
winning the Dutch League and the UEFA Cup with PSV. It can only help me as a player if
we do it. I'm a different player from Jaap but we're good friends. He's a nice person
and a great player."

---------------------------------
[30] Silvestre on Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"We all expected someone new to be announced for the end of the season, but instead
the manager told us he was staying. I'm glad he's going to carry on because I have
improved a lot under his guidance. He was strong with me and did his job. That helped
me a lot. My aim when I joined the club [from Internazionale in late 1999] was to play
for the French national side and go to the World Cup. I'm almost there, so the manager
must be doing something right."

---------------------------------
[29] More from Shotgun
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"On another day [Ruud] van Nistelrooy and [Ole Gunnar] Solskjaer would have buried us,
and we rode our luck for long periods. But maybe we should be awarded the points just
for keeping those two off the scoresheet."

---------------------------------
[28] Gregory praises United
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"We hung in there against possibly the best side in the world."

---------------------------------
[27] FA back ref
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
An FA statement:

"Following referee Steve Dunn's decision to disallow Malcolm Christie's goal against
Manchester United yesterday, he has been heavily criticised in certain quarters.
However, The FA would like to make it clear that the referee was perfectly correct to
take such action under the laws of the game.

They clearly state: The goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball by
touching it with any part of his hand or arms. Possession of the ball includes the
goalkeeper deliberately parrying the ball, but does not include the circumstances
where, in the opinion of the referee, the ball rebounds accidently from the
goalkeeper, for example after he has made a save.

The referee, was therefore, correct."

---------------------------------
[26] Lazio on Nesta talk
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
Lazio president Sergio Cragnotti

"Nesta is not unsellable. Whether he stays or goes depends on the strategy of the club
in the close season."

---------------------------------
[25] United take 17 year old on loan
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
taken Peterborough United's  Luke Steele on a one month loan spell.

Barry Fry:

"I won't be surprised if we get a bid for him, if things go well in the next month.
But, if United do come in, it would take a substantial amount of money for me to put
it to our board and if, as I expect, he plays for England, the price will be going up
all the time." It's a marvellous opportunity for Luke, who signs for Manchester United
for a month on Monday. I am sure he will enjoy every minute of his stay up there and
make the most of it. They obviously think a lot of him or they wouldn't want him back
again, and I have no doubt Luke will take everything in his stride."

---------------------------------
[23] Andy Cole in bother
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Mirror

'ANDY COLE is facing police action after trying to storm his way into the Bolton
dressing room following his sending-off.

The Blackburn striker had to be restrained by team-mates after he flew into a rage and
tried to confront Bolton defender Mike Whitlow at half-time.

In addition, police are also investigating a spitting incident involving Rovers star
Tugay and a steward at the end of the stormy relegation derby.'

---------------------------------
[22] Teddy gets heckled by Spurs fans
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
Hoddle

 "I'm being asked questions about Sheringham now that are irrelevant. You can't
perform every game but you have to give your best and that's what he does. It's lovely
when crowds get behind you, the real challenge is when they start to groan at your
mistakes. You have to have the bottle to cope when things don't go your way, and
Sheringham has it in bundles. He is a great example to young payers like Simon Davies
and Ledley King. What I am getting from he and Gus Poyet is exactly what I wanted."

---------------------------------
[22] A few people were saying this
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Mirror

'Perhaps it was the appearance of a male streaker who held up the game for several
minutes that caused United's players to lose their concentration, because within a
minute of the offender being escorted from the pitch, Derby had equalised'

---------------------------------
[21] Shotgun goes on and on
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Steve Dunn has made a huge mistake. I was 90 yards away and could see it was a
penalty along with 20-odd thousand other people. Manchester United's reputation
affects officials and he was affected by it. They do intimidate referees. Malcolm
Christie should be going home with the match ball."

---------------------------------
[20] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I think we will have to review full-time officials. We're in 2002 and they are still
making incredible mistakes. We've made one as well because I couldn't see them getting
back into the game and we should have won with all the chances we had."

---------------------------------
[19] Brooklyn's birthday bash
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
For Brooklyn Beckhams 3rd birthday party today, the SUN reports that the couple have
hired out the whole of the Printworks Cinema for a private showing to friends of
Monsters Inc

---------------------------------
[18] Champions Leagoe Final online ticket applications
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
application form here

 https://secure.uefa.com/Competitions/UCL/Tickets/form.htmx
https://secure.uefa.com/Competitions/UCL/Tickets/form.htmx

---------------------------------
[17] Remaining fixtures
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
United remaining fixtures

Wed 06/03 H SPURS
Sat 16/03 A WEST HAM
Sat 23/03 H MIDDLESBROUGH
Sat 30/03 A LEEDS
Sat 06/04 A LEICESTER
Sat 13/04 H ARSENAL
Sat 20/04 A CHELSEA
Sat 27/04 A IPSWICH
Sat 11/05 H CHARLTON

Arsenal remaining fixtures

Tue 5/03 H  DERBY
Sun 17/03 A ASTON VILLA
Sat 23/03 H WEST HAM
Sat 30/03 H SUNDERLAND
Mon 1/04 A CHARLTON
Sat 6/04 H  TOTTENHAM
Sat 13/04 A MANCHESTER
Sat 20/04 H IPSWICH
Sat 27/04 A BOLTON
Sat 11/05 H EVERTON

Liverpool remaining fixtures

Wed 06/03 H NEWCASTLE
Sat 16/03 A MIDDELSBOROUGH
Sun 24/03 H CHELSEA
Sat 30/03 H CHARLTON
Sun 07/04 H BLACKBURN
Sat 3/04 H  SUNDERLAND
Sat 20/04 H DERBY COUNTY
Sat 27/04 H TOTTENHAM
Sat 11/05 H IPSWICH

Newcastle remaining fixtures

Wed 6/3 A LIVERPOOL
Sat 16/3 H IPSWICH TOWN
Sat 23/3 A  BLACKBURN
Fri 29/3 H EVERTON
Tues 2/4 A ASTON VILLA
Mon 8/4 H FULHAM
Sat 13/4 A DERBY
Sat 20/4 H CHARLTON
Sat 27/4 H WEST HAM
Sat 11/5 A SOUTHAMPTON

---------------------------------
[16] In case you missed the Sunday tabloids
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
Nicky Butt has bought a £1.6m mansion in Cheshire.

Two papers link us with Lazio's Nesta although the People says the interest in Hofland
who waning

Ronnie Johnsen is hoping his latest return from injury will earn him a new one year
deal

All seem convinced Becks will sign before the World Cup begins

---------------------------------
[15] Here they go again
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
Part of the Daily Mirror front page (where the news is supposed to be...)

Flop Idols...Will two dropped points at Derby cost Utd the title?

Anyone who thinks the Mirror isn't head of the ABU union think again please.

---------------------------------
[14] Fergie on Derby
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"They fought like tigers but we had enough chances to win it."

---------------------------------
[13] Gregory still angry
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The referee bottled it twice - completely. Malcolm's goal would not have  been
disallowed at Old Trafford. I believe Alex Ferguson agrees with me. The referee missed
an opportunity to  give Manchester United a penalty, too. I've spoken to the referee
and it was  cordial, well at least he was cordial. I don't know how that could not
have been a penalty. It was  blatant. If that's not a penalty then there's something
wrong with the rules. It's  very difficult to take. Steve Dunn has made a mistake.
Maybe he doesn't have the benefit of TV but I  was 90 yards away when I saw it. By
tomorrow morning I'll have calmed down and looked at this as a great  result because
we are still alive and kicking."

---------------------------------
[12] Ridsdale was wrong - copper
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the SUN

'PETER RIDSDALE was rapped by Merseyside police after he rowed with Leeds fans  at the
final whistle. The Elland Road chairman was angry with United supporters for targeting
David
O'Leary's No2 Brian Kidd after Leeds failed to win for the 10th successive  match.

Ridsdale had to walk in front of jeering Everton supporters before  confronting the
Leeds fans.

And he could now face FA action even though police have decided not to charge  him.

Chief Superintendent David Willman, senior officer at Goodison yesterday,  said: "I
appreciate why he did it and no doubt it was well intentioned but it  was ill-advised.

"A chairman's place is in the directors' box and not on the terraces. We  stressed
that to him and we are not happy with what happened.

"It was a smack in the face for the Everton fans and could have caused a  problem. We
won't be taking any action but we shall be writing to both clubs and the  FA to
outline our feelings.

"If they want to take it any further it will be up to them. We don't want to  see this
happening again."

---------------------------------
[11] Bryan Robson unsure too
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I would have given a goal. It was a 50-50 decision and the referee had a lot of them
today. He could have given two penalties. We've had the luxury of all these replays,
but the referee just has a split-second to make his decision. Sometimes he gets it
wrong and that's what happened today."

---------------------------------
[10] Craig Burley thought it was a goal
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"For me, it's a goal. Barthez never had control of the ball and Christie was
lightning-quick to get on the end of it and tucked it into the back of the net. The
referee said that the keeper had two hands on the ball, but I disagree that he ever
had control of the ball.  That last-minute incident Christie had every right to go for
it and from a Derby point of view, I am extremely disappointed that the goal was
disallowed. I don't want to sound nasty, but it that was at the other end, I think
that would have been a goal."

---------------------------------
[9] Stats from yesterday
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From skysports

Derby: Oakes, Barton, Zavagno, Riggott, Higginbotham, Ducrocq (Morris 63), Kinkladze
(Elliott 82), Lee, Boertien, Ravanelli (Strupar 74), Christie.
Subs Not Used: Foletti, Valakari.
Booked: Ducrocq, Zavagno.

Man Utd: Barthez, Irwin (O'Shea 84), Gary Neville, Johnsen, Silvestre, Beckham,
Scholes, Veron, Giggs (Forlan 80), van Nistelrooy, Solskjaer.
Subs Not Used: Carroll, Butt, Phil Neville.

Att: 33,041
Ref: S Dunn (Bristol).

Derby stats first

2
        Goals
        2

8
        Shots On Target (inc Goals)
        10

6
        Shots Off Target
        12

1
        Blocked Shots
        9

4
        Corners
        10

11
        Fouls
        13

4
        Offsides
        2

2
        Yellow Cards
        0

---------------------------------
[8] Get the latest Red News this Wednesday
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
The latest Red News - issue 84 - is out and you can get it before the Spurs game
onWednesday. We will definitely have sellers at the top of Sir Matt Busby Way (by
Legends cafe), half way down Sir Matt Busby Way, the left hand side of Salford Quay
bridge as you're approaching the ground, the bottom of the Red Cafe bridge by the main
road - and elsewhere.

Best bet is to bag yourself a copy BEFORE the game as we want to head to the pub
quickly afterwards!

Inside this new issue:
Exclusive Mikael Silvestre interview
Fergie staying - reaction
Becks contract talks - reaction
Tony Smith
Des Buckley artwork
Exclusive gossip (and massive amount too!)
Watching United in New York
Boro - the sequel
In defence of the FA Cup
some great graphics and much, much more

all for just £1.50 - and available on Wednesday

---------------------------------
[7] Red News repeat request
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
We're always on the look out for new ideas for articles and graphics so if ever you
have any thoughts, let us know.

Also we love conducting interviews with players - but not just the present team.
Sometimes former players are hard to contact so if any of you know, or know the
whereabouts of any former United player maybe you can ask them if they'd consider
speaking to us, or you do it yourselves. Whatever, let us know at

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

We're doing a feature on the FA Cup Final of 1958. If anyone was there, or remembers
stuff from the game, has match report clippings, please get in touch.

Also we'd like to hear from anyone who regularly attended games under Sir Matt
throughout his career as United manager.
Cheers

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[6] I think the term is fickle is it not
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
O'Leary blasts the fickle - and of course Kiddo's red honours go down like a lead
balloon with the Leeds fans

"I am disgusted with the fans. We have had just over three years of very good success
at this club which has been to some fantastic places during that time, while we have
also had some great nights at Elland Road and made a great name for ourselves. We are
having a difficult time at the moment because it has been a difficult season, and now
I hear these chants about Brian Kidd. I have always said - and I will say it again -
that I love it in Yorkshire. If football finished for me tomorrow then it is where I
will continue to live because it has been great for me there. I will stay here as long
as people want me to stay here and only when that opinion is revised will I then go.
So while I am here, and I hope that is still for a long time, then Brian Kidd will be
here with me. If you go around and talk to any player at this football club, or any
other player that has worked with Brian, then they will tell you how good he is, so I
will stand by Brian Kidd because he is my appointm!
ent. After the game the players had a little chat amongst themselves in the dressing
room because what the fans said had an impact. But they have turned around and said
they will stay here as long as Brian Kidd and myself are here. That's where they
stand."

Just one point to pick up on...'success'. What success?

---------------------------------
[5] And I see your true colours shining through
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
Leeds fans led a 90 minute torrent of abuse at Kiddo at the game against Everton
yesterday, blaming him for their slide. Peter Ridsdale even came onto the pitch at the
end to speak to them: "I just felt that it doesn't do the team any good for a coach to
be criticised. What they have to understand is that the players are totally behind him
(Kidd), while he also has the total support of the club."

Strange thing was that ITV's Premiership programme didn't show it - instead saying
that OUR winning run was 'halted' as we 'slipped' against Derby.

---------------------------------
[4] Are you sure
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
Kevin Keegan on Darren Huckerby on current form.

"His football up to the penalty area - and sometimes in it - was absolutely
world-class. No-one could handle him and I'm talking about no-one, even at the top
level."

---------------------------------
[3] Posh digs at Jordan
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
Calls her 'vile' on a fly on the wall one hour special following Posh to be shown on
ITV tonight. As has been mentioned in the press, she also says Becks mimes to the
national anthem. Wow. The bit where she explains how to split an atom was apparently
cut at the last minute.

---------------------------------
[2] Wenger thinks he will win league
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I think we're in a very good position to do it, and it's just down to us. Of course,
there's still a long way to go. But what we achieved reinforces our belief."

---------------------------------
[1] United's press release on Keano in full
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, March 4, 2002 by bar-knee:
2, March 2002

ROY KEANE SIGNS NEW CONTRACT

Manchester United is pleased to announce that the club has agreed terms with Roy Keane
on a new four-year contract that will keep him at the club at least until the end of
June, 2006.

Peter Kenyon, Chief Executive, says: 'We are absolutely delighted to be signing Roy to
a new contract. He is a fantastic player, and we never doubted that he wanted to stay
at United. With our inspirational captain now signed up until 2006, the continuity and
stability which is so important to Unitedís success is guaranteed.'

Sir Alex Ferguson says: 'This is great news. Roy is an unbelievable player whose
leadership, passion and drive epitomise the best qualities of Manchester United. I am
really pleased to have Roy on board for another four years.'

Roy Keane says: 'I'm delighted to be staying at United and I'm looking forward to
enjoying even more success with the team over the next few years. I would like to
thank the club and my solicitor, Michael Kennedy, for making the whole process of
negotiating my new contract go so smoothly.'

Player facts:

Roy Keane was born in Cork, Ireland on 10th August 1971.
He joined Manchester United from Nottingham Forest in 1993 for a  record transfer fee
of £3.75m. Since then Roy has made 349 appearances for United, scoring 45 goals. He
succeeded Eric Cantona as club captain in 1997.
He is also the captain of the Republic of Ireland, for whom he has been capped 57
times.

---------------------------------
[17] More Fergie comments
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, March 3, 2002 by tb:
"I couldn't see that we would get caught on the break. Ryan Giggs lost possession, the
ball rebounded to them and within seconds they equalised even though they only had one
striker in the box," he added.

"There will be mistakes made, we made one today, I hope we don't make too many more."

---------------------------------
[16] Fergie on Dunn
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, March 3, 2002 by tb:
"I thought Christie's goal might've been alright. The ref had a poor, poor game. He
had a shocking game and he made so many bad decisions.

"Denis Irwin ran from 20 yards behind the ball and was given offside. To see a
linesman making a decision like that in 2002 was amazing.

---------------------------------
[15] Christie on disallowed goal
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, March 3, 2002 by tb:
"It was a close call at the end, I tried to get there at the end and I think we got
there at the same time so it was difficult to call."

"To have scored a hat-trick would have been a great moment, though.

"I'd have to look on the TV. Obviously it's disappointing if it was a good goal and
there was nothing wrong with it.

"It would have been great to get three points against the champions. They were
difficult to contain but it was a battling performance from us at the end of the day.

"At times we really didn't get a touch of the ball and it was a matter of us strikers
doing what we could on the break.

"It's great to get a point because United were on top of us. Just coming off the lads
were a bit disappointed but overall we're happy with a point."

---------------------------------
[14] Shotgun on penalty
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, March 3, 2002 by tb:
"It was a blatant penalty by Barthez. As Christie came through Barthez punched the
back of his head. The ref bottled it."

"Barthez chopped him Christie down. If that is not a penalty then something is wrong
with the laws of the game. The referee made a huge mistake.

"He doesn't have the benefit of television. It was nailed on to me and 14,000 in the
stand behind me."

So what about Oakes on Ruud then?

---------------------------------
[13] More new contracts signed
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, March 3, 2002 by tb:
John O'Shea and Michael Stewart have signed up on 4 year contracts

---------------------------------
[12] Cudly Pete on Keano
Posted Sunday, March 3, 2002 by tb:
"We are absolutely delighted to be signing Roy to a new contract. He is a fantastic
player and we never doubted he wanted to stay at United. With our inspirational
captain now signed up until 2006 the continuity and stability which is so important is
guaranteed."

[11] Fergie on Keano