RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[25] United lose in Senior Cup
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
last night, drawing 1-1 with Bury, but losing 3-2 on penalties.

---------------------------------
[24] There will also be a collection
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
outside Old Trafford for Bury before the Bayern game.

---------------------------------
[23] United help Bury
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
FROM MEN

'MANCHESTER’S Big Two united today (Friday) to save the Shakers.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson and Blues manager Kevin Keegan, together with their
players, have rallied to boost a £400,000 fighting fund set up to keep Bury in
existence.

Already over £100,000 has been raised thanks to a bumper gate for the midweek derby
against Oldham and the phenomenal interest in the sponsor-a-seat campaign at Gigg Lane.

The Neville brothers Phil and Gary, who were born in Bury, have “bought” seats, as
have the family of England skipper David Beckham, managers Keegan and Ferguson, and
celebrities Lisa Riley and Bernard Manning.

Sir Alex said: “We have a great relationship with Bury and it is fundamental to
football that the smaller clubs, including Bury which is one of the oldest in England,
should keep going.

“We play our reserve matches at Gigg Lane and I think it’s a disgrace that Jill
Neville, who is Secretary at Bury, should serve up those lovely pasties!

“Seriously, there are a lot of clubs teetering on the brink and I’m pleased I can do
something to help. Hopefully Bury will survive because they are a great part of
football here in Greater Manchester. They have produced some great players over the
years.”

Meanwhile, Kevin Keegan and his Manchester City players have put their names to 250
seats at Gigg Lane in a bid to help save the Shakers.

The Blues boss, who vehemently opposed the recent scheme to create a Phoenix League
catering for the richer sides, began his own glittering career down the league ladder
at Scunthorpe and is a passionate believer that smaller clubs are the lifeblood of the
English game.

Keegan’s call

He urged more of the wealthy sides to help City’s neighbours in any way they could.

“Myself and the players are putting in £2,500 and putting our names on 250 seats at
Gigg Lane. That is what the players and the staff wanted to do. There was no
hesitation,” said the Blues boss before greeting a contingent of Bury fans at City’s
Carrington training centre.

“I am afraid this kind of problem may be a continuing thing in football but if we
cannot be seen to help clubs, then who will? “The lads agreed that the money came
straight out of their fund. I think there are other big clubs who could help Bury as
well.

“At the end of the day Bury are going to have to help themselves but we should do
something to help them, they are just down the road. We will see if we cannot help
them raise more money playing a game there sometime in the near future.”

Co-chairman Fred Mason has been heartened by the amazing response to the Save the
Shakers Appeal, backed by the Manchester Evening News.

Donations have been sent from all over the world including Canada, Thailand, New
Zealand, Hawaii, Australia and Cyprus.

Mr Mason said: “We are still in intensive care but I am becoming more and more
confident that the club will be saved. We need another big gate against Notts County.”

Mr Mason hailed both City and United for their generosity. Supporters nationwide,
particularly those backing clubs who have faced similar problems such as Brighton,
have been sending cheques or messages of support to the die-hard Shakers supporters.

One Bury fan, James Bentley, a 21-year-old A level student, said: “I think it’s
fantastic how football supporters everywhere are helping us. It is amazing that these
people such as Kevin Keegan and Sir Alex Ferguson have given their backing.”

The Second Division club’s problems stem from when majority shareholder Hugh Eaves
lost £20 million pounds of other peoples’ money on the London stock exchange.

His creditors have been looking to get the money back whilst because of legal
constraints the Shakers have been unable to bring in investment and have a £1 million
pound mortgage outstanding.

Three groups are reputed to be looking to take over the crisis club which is in
receivership.

The club have been further boosted by the news they more than halfway to their target
of selling off their 12,000 seats, according to former commerical director Neville
Neville.

“The response from the fans has been unbelievable,” says Neville, whose suggestion to
offer the seats for sponsorship has gone down a storm.

“The phone lines have never stopped ringing and the e-mails have been pouring in. But
we’ve still got seats available and after that we’ll start to sell the bricks as well.
Anything to make sure we reach our target.”

For details of sponsoring a seat contact: 0161 764 4881 or 0161 705 2144. Faxed 0161
764 5521 or 0161 763 3103

---------------------------------
[22] Ruud on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Becks is in fantastic form. He's scoring a lot of goals as well as providing them,
which is great for the team. It's hard to say anything about his contract because I
don't know the details. I just hope he stays because he's a massive influence here. In
that sense I hope he signs soon. I think his heart is at United so it would be very
hard for him to go."

---------------------------------
[21] Becks happy with his left foot effort
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It's great to get goals with either foot, but particularly nice to get one with the
left because they are so rare. That's the first one I've got this season with my left
and hopefully there will be many more to come. I've got 12 goals this season and I'm
really happy with that. Scoring more goals was one of the areas I wanted to improve
and hopefully they'll keep on coming."

---------------------------------
[20] FA - no Spurs appeal
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
"There is no right of appeal in this instance. That only applies when a player is
shown a straight red card and dismissed for violent conduct."

---------------------------------
[19] Big Fat Ron on our title chances
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
'I get the impression Sir Alex Ferguson and his players are hungrier than ever after
starting the season badly and being written off. They've got that air of invincibility
again and I think they go into league games not imagining the remotest possibility of
losing.

They're firing on all cylinders, with 13 wins and a draw from 15 Premiership matches.
And because they're pretty comfortable in the Champions League they won't be over-
anxious about that for the time being. The goals are flowing and the defence is
better. Laurent Blanc has come to the pace and established a partnership with Gary
Neville and now Ronny Johnsen, who's back fit.

Johnsen is the centre-half most players and staff at United rate as the best they've
got. It was a close call even when Jaap Stam was there. Johnsen's quick and does the
old-fashioned ugly things. There's no doubt he can play because Alex has used him in
midfield but his first thought isn't to make a nice pass, it's to ensure the
opposition don't make inroads.

It's really helped United that their defence has been more or less settled and that
Mikael Silvestre is clear in his own mind that he's the No1 left-back. Blanc still has
the odd lackadaisical moment but he's eradicated a lot of the problems.

Going forward United are on fire. The only possible fly in the ointment might be if
Ruud van Nistelrooy gets injured. I know United have a number of options but Van
Nistelrooy looks as good a predator as there is in the world. He seems born to play
for United and, if he was out, you wonder if it might throw their rhythm.

As it is, Paul Scholes is back on top of his game, Ryan Giggs is flying and David
Beckham looks back to his best. The England captain probably benefited from his rest.
He's such a competitor he would have been sitting on the sidelines smouldering and
saying: "You wait. I'll show you who's the best."

He's done it the right way and I think he'll end up with another Premiership title.
Bearing in mind how many times United have been there and that Arsenal still have to
go to Old Trafford, Ferguson's side are my choice.'

---------------------------------
[18] Fergie on FA Youth Cup defeat
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I have to say that I was a bit shocked by their performance. We were doing all right
with the old system"

---------------------------------
[17] Fergie on FA Academy system
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I'd scrap it immediately. I think the academy is a bit of a waste of time to be
honest with you. I think that I can't see any evidence of this being the right
procedure of producing players.  Someone is going to be asking where all the millions
have gone. Some people are paying these young players fortunes and it won't work, it
just won't work.  There is too much pressure on them. Every game is a must win
situation and that doesn't help in producing players. You want to see players enjoying
themselves.  At that age the question whether players are winners is not the question
that you want. That is a question mark that you put on his ability, technique and
vision for the game we aren't looking for winners at seventeen years of age. It's a
crazy set up."

---------------------------------
[16] Giggs on title race
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It's definitely going to go down to the wire. But I'd strongly disagree with anyone
who thinks it's now a three-horse race after Liverpool's 3-0 win over Newcastle.
People seem determined to write off Newcastle's chances but for me they have an easier
run-in than ourselves, Arsenal or Liverpool. I genuinely think they are still in with
a real shout. They are also the only one of the four who don't have to cope with
European football. Newcastle don't play a team in the top six as the table stands
today, so they can't be ruled out. Ourselves, Arsenal and Liverpool are on good runs
and have generated a lot of momentum.  A defeat not only means three points thrown
away but also the loss of that momentum. The team to lose next may not have time to
repair the damage."

---------------------------------
[15] Fortune still unhappy
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Because I don't play regularly, I feel that my World Cup place is being threatened. I
want to go to the World Cup with South Africa and it is important for me to play for
my club."

---------------------------------
[14] SUN 'experts' on our title chances
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
KAMARA: Alex Ferguson tinkered with their formation early in the season. Now they are
back to 4-4-2, their defence is hardly ever under pressure. If Ruud van Nistelrooy
keeps scoring and David Beckham and Roy Keane shine, the outlook is bright.

GREAVSIE: Much as it pains me to say it, I think they're going to win the League
again. The biggest factor in their favour is Van Nistelrooy. They also have enough
experience to hold their nerve now the pressure is really kicking in.

GALE: United are brilliant but Arsenal have the edge, particularly in defence. United
could slip up at Leeds in a fortnight and I don't fancy their chances at Chelsea next
month. I reckon they'll also have to settle for a draw at home to Arsenal on April
13 - and second place in the league.

---------------------------------
[13] Hoddle denies Yorke bid
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
"There is no truth in it at all. And certainly no truth in me wanting him and the
board saying I couldn't have him, which came out somewhere along the line. I can put
that one to rest."

---------------------------------
[12] Spurs may move from White Hart Lane
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
Spurs Vice-president David Buchler:

"We won't stay here unless Government and the local authority invest in the
infrastructure of Tottenham and the local area. The traffic is abominable. You can't
park, trains get cancelled, the station gets closed, buses don't run - all these
problems happen at some time because there has been an under-investment here, one of
the lowest of any area of London."

---------------------------------
[11] Us and Arse chase
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
France keeper Ulrich Rame, according to the Daily Star.

---------------------------------
[10] Becks goes sumo
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the SUN

'RELATED STORIES
• Go football crazy
• See girls get their kit off

RELATED WEBSITES
• Latest football tables
DAVID BECKHAM looks like he is going for a thong again — as he squares up to a 35st
sumo wrestler.

England skipper Becks once wore a g-string belonging to wife Posh Spice.

But even during her pregnancy, Victoria will never quite look like gigantic grappler
Taylor, who scoffs a ton of squid during his pre-season build-up.

The pair of different-sized giants got together while filming a new Pepsi TV advert.

Becks, whose pre-match meal is pasta and chicken, hopes to be big in Japan at this
summer's World Cup finals. Yet he will surely never be as big as Taylor.

The Manchester United midfield maestro has joined fellow international superstars like
Rivaldo, Edgar Davids and Roberto Carlos in a Pepsi line-up. The all-stars take on a
team of the legendary Japanese fatties.

Sumo United weigh a combined 2.3 tons — with Taylor biggest of the bunch,

He said: "I'm quite a football fan, so I was very happy to work with David Beckham and
the other superstar footballers.

"I've never actually played the game before but I often watch it on TV."

---------------------------------
[9] So Leeds will sell this summer
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
And Fergie makes a fresh move for Kewell?

Ridsdale

 "We would expect a net income from transfers this coming summer. Clearly
re-qualification for European competition next season is a significant element of the
plan. The board will trade assets as required by the nature of the competition reached
in order to ensure that the cost base of the business is maintained at a sustainable
level, and will continue to do so as required."

---------------------------------
[8] Leeds in financial bother now too
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Leeds United have slumped into the red after the absence of European Champions League
football this season took its toll.

The company revealed an interim pre-tax loss of £13.8 million, compared with a
previous profit of £100,000.

The club was also hit by expensive player purchases, such as the £11 million signing
of Robbie Fowler.

Turnover dipped to £38.3 million from £41.0 million.

The company will not pay a dividend.'

---------------------------------
[7] Teddy on penalty/sending off on Wednesday
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
"What's that all about? To get both the penalty and sending-off in the same hit, and
lose a goal as well, that really kills you."

---------------------------------
[6] Teddy happy with OT reception
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It was a great reception from the fans. You never know what you are going to get off
football supporters but they were fantastic. I am enjoying myself these days at Spurs
but I will never forget the four years at Old Trafford. It was very nice they
recognised that as well."

---------------------------------
[5] Teddy wants us to win it
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
"United have shown time and again that they are the ones to beat. There is no one like
them for passing the ball around and making teams work. We had some tired bodies in
the dressing room, though only having 10 men did not exactly help. But passing is what
it is all about and they do that so well. I am certainly hoping they go on and win the
title now. I want to see the boys win it again and they know how to do that. We all
realise they are the best team. It is just a case of them proving it once more this
year. They had a poor spell earlier in the season but are back in the swing now. Let's
hope they go on and win it, because they are the best around."

---------------------------------
[4] Media hype
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the SUN

' Two nil to Fergie

ALEX FERGUSON has been handed a double title boost by Arsenal and Liverpool.

The Manchester United manager could afford to smile after hearing both Michael Owen
and Thierry Henry face three weeks on the sidelines.

Liverpool ace Owen suffered a recurrence of his hamstring woes in the 3-0 win over
Newcastle.

Henry, the Gunners' top scorer with 28, is not appealing against his three-match ban
for abusing referee Graham Poll — so his ban starts now.'

---------------------------------
[3] A nice thought
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
Posted by Alison on the IMUSA list

United's win against Spurs means we now join Arsenal in being safe from relegation
this season. Whew, that's a weight off my mind.

---------------------------------
[2] FIFA investigates...
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Opponents of Fifa president Sepp Blatter scored a potentially significant victory
when they won their fight to set up a special committee to investigate the finances of
football's world governing body.

The decision was taken after an emergency meeting of Fifa's executive committee in
Zurich which lasted almost three-and-a-half hours.

The investigating committee will be set up to look into the state of Fifa's current
finances and the handling of the collapse of former marketing partners ISL last year.

It may also look into allegations that supporters of Blatter paid cash for votes
before his 1998 election.

Fifa general secretary Michel Zen-Ruffinen emerged from the meeting to read a
statement. He said: "After a very long meeting the Fifa executive committee have
decided to create an internal ad-hoc audit committee.

"Full details about the committee will be given on the occasion of the press
conference on Saturday morning."

The crucial issue remains the make-up of the committee - whether the majority are
supporters of the president, opponents or are independent.

What is certain is that this represents a blow for Blatter, who has been resisting the
creation of such a committee and indeed agreed to hold the emergency meeting only
under pressure from the majority of the 24-member executive.

Lennart Johansson, Uefa president and a Fifa vice-president, has been one of Blatter's
fiercest critics. He emerged from the meeting and would say only: "It was a good
meeting. I am satisfied."

The bankruptcy of ISL, a subsidiary of the International Sports Media and Marketing
group which negotiated Fifa's television and sponsorship deals, led to the
cancellation of last year's World Club Championship in Spain and forced Fifa to set up
its own in-house marketing unit.

Blatter insists the collapse cost Fifa around £22million, but there have been claims
the true damage could be as much as 10 times that.

Of the 24 members of the Fifa executive, three vice-presidents - Sweden's Johansson,
Cameroon's Issa Hayatou and Korea's Chung Mong-joon - have been critics of Blatter,
while Fifa's Scottish vice-president David Will was among the 13 calling for an
emergency meeting.

Blatter stands for re-election at the end of May. He is so far unopposed, although
Hayatou has hinted he may stand.'

---------------------------------
[1] Ayala to stay at Valencia
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, March 8, 2002 by bar-knee:
Putting paid to Utd transfer gossip. Probably all instigated by his agent, as we said
in earlier Red News

Ayala

"We have decided to leave things until the end of the season, but there is a good
feeling. The fact I have had the odd bad game doesn't mean I was thinking about money"

---------------------------------
[34] Barthez in Paris tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
Barthez is awaited tonight in Paris for the opening of an art exhibition. Elton John
is going too, Andy Warhol and many other artists being the works to see there.

---------------------------------
[33] UEFA announce Qtr Final details
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
The draw for the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League will take place at
12.30CET on Friday 22 March 2002 in Nyon.

Country rivals can meet
Teams from the same country can be drawn against each other but sides will be kept
apart from anyone they played in the second group stage. For the quarter-finals, each
of the four runners-up during the second group stage will be drawn against a group
winner from another group.

No seeding for last four
The four group winners will play their quarter-final first-leg matches away from home.
For the semi-finals, no clubs will be seeded and the first team drawn will play its
first match at home, against the second team drawn (for example, winners of match 1
against winners of match 4).

Hampden Park final
The same procedure will apply for the second semi-final. A small draw (winners   of
semi-final 1 or winners of semi-final 2) will determine which club will be
considered the home team at the final to be played on 15 May in Glasgow at  Hampden
Park.

UEFA Cup semi-finals  The draw for the UEFA Cup semi-finals will follow directly at
13.00CET.

---------------------------------
[32] Becks says sorry
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
"My granddad is a big Spurs fan and I’ll have to give him a ring after this to say
sorry. I always seem to score against Spurs and I am delighted with the two I got
tonight, especially the first one because it was with my left foot and I don’t get
many of those. After Arsenal’s win against derby the night before it was imperative we
won the game and important we made a good start."

---------------------------------
[31] Fergie on Forlan
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Diego was fantastic. His energy and linking of play, movement and all that was
terrific. His making of the third goal was superb.  He’s very bright. It was so sad
for him not getting a goal. I really felt for the lad. He was just over-anxious and
that’s not a great fault for a young lad of 22. You expect that."

[30] Ruud player of the month
Posted Thursday, March 7, 2002 by bar-knee: