RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[56] Keano - breaking quotes
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
and fair play to MUTV who were quick on the ball and will show the RTE full interview
tonight

"I just want people to get behind the team - that's the most important thing. My
family backed me because I told them what happened - I might be a lot of things but
I'm not a liar. When I decided to come back I thought that was the end of the matter.
I didn't want to go through the media, I didn't want to speak to The Mail on Sunday or
do this interview. But when I got back to London my solicitor said there's an
imbalance in the story. There was lots of nonsense coming out that wasn't true. I
thought `I need to speak out'. The people of Ireland deserve to know the truth. People
said I shouldn't have reacted the way I should - but I think I was forced into a
corner and there was only way I was going to come out, and that's fighting. There was
no doubt in my mind. The family were glad to see me. It's good to be home - I'll
probably go to Cork for a bit in a few days. If there was any doubt in my mind `Roy,
you were a bit out of order, you should maybe have held back a little bit!
 but there isn't and I won't accept it. I can't accept it. Mick was going to be the
only winner and I understand that - he's the manager. I feel I deserved better. What
happened last week will live with me for a long time. What happened to me was wrong.
The ball is in a lot of people's courts. I saw Mick getting interviewed on Saturday so
I'm giving my side of the story."

---------------------------------
[55] Keane quotes
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
He was interviewed in a hotel in Manchester

"I want to play for Ireland. It's the biggest thing of all, to play in the World
Cup...maybe there is a way. Nobody wanted this. Of course it's hurting me all this -
dead right it is. My conscience is clear - and that's the most important thing in my
life. It really is."

---------------------------------
[54] Keane in the whole interview
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
does not mention the words 'sorry' or 'apology' which apparently Mick McCarthy sought,
nor has there been any personal contact between the two. RN says - let Keano play!

---------------------------------
[53] Keane to return
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
"Maybe there is a way (to get back) but who knows"

---------------------------------
[52] Keane's interview
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
will be played on Irish channel in full at 8.30pm tonight. Word is from a snout that
at one stage Keano appears very upset. Full details here later.

---------------------------------
[51] Keane on Irish Tv
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It's all got messy...nobody wants this...who knows...we'll have to wait and
see...we're running out of time...my conscience is clear...I want to play for
Ireland...we'll have to wait and see...possibly (go halfway to meet them)...playing in
World Cups is what it's all about...we'll see....of course it's hurting me"

Seems an olive branch of sorts has been issued but as we said earlier, not an apology
as such. McCarthy over to you...

---------------------------------
[50] Mick says no to Keane return
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
urn.

"I had to sit them down and assure them that no apology will be enough to get Roy
Keane back into this squad. There were some angry players in that hotel, they were
annoyed at the suggestion that he could merely apologise and walk back into the fold.
I have no doubt that some of them will walk if he ever comes back. But that isn't
going to happen. Roy Keane is history as far as I am concerned and we have moved on.
I don't believe he is the sort who apologises for anything and I am not interested,
even if he does have a change of heart."

---------------------------------
[49] Veron on Becks and England-Argentina
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I haven't had a chance to talk to him but I know he has high hopes after 1998. He
knows it's a special match."

---------------------------------
[48] Keane statement
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by Stalker:
>From Ananova.
Keane set to make Irish statement

Republic of Ireland skipper Roy Keane could be on the verge of a dramatic World Cup
return.

Keane, sent home following an abusive attack on manager Mick McCarthy, is to be
interviewed at around 6pm (BST) on Irish television.

Sources claim the Ireland's midfield inspiration will make a statement.

It is thought he could apologise for the verbal bust-up with McCarthy and ask to
rejoin the Republic squad preparing for the clash with Cameroon.

A statement is reportedly being prepared that could appease the Football Association
of Ireland FAI, the players - who backed McCarthy's decision to send Keane home on
Thursday - and the captain himself.

A final decision would then be left with McCarthy.

If Keane does apologise and McCarthy rejects the gesture he could become public enemy
number one in Ireland.

---------------------------------
[47] Zidane test
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by Stalker:
French icon not out yet.
France coach Roger Lemerre will let Zinedine Zidane decide whether he is fit to face
Senegal and Uruguay after French FA president Claude Simonet suggested the midfielder
would miss both games. "I trust Zidane. Doctors speak but players feel," Lemerre said.

---------------------------------
[46] RED NEWS Mini League - again
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by redend:
Sorry - links didn't work in news item [10] or item [5] earlier

If you've already signed up for the £100,000 World Cup Fantasy Football game and you
want to add your team to the RED NEWS mini league then send an email to
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] and we'll email details back to
you.

If you want to sign up you need to be quick - only 6 days to go before game closes to
new entries. Don't be shy - click
http://www.dreamteamfc.com/Sun/servlet/OpenFSELogin?homename=WC2002&language=ENGLISH&aff_id=57
 HERE join the game.

---------------------------------
[45] No return
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Mick McCarthy has told the Irish squad that there is no chance that Keano will return
for the World Cup. As we said, Keano wouldn't have even been contemplating it.

---------------------------------
[44] Quotes from the past
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Wenger

"Man United are English football's equivalent of Mike Tyson"

---------------------------------
[43] An Irish Red Perspective
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
'Roy Keane Fiasco'

To fully understand the reasons behind the disgraceful behaviour of the FAI & Mick
McCarthy towards our best ever player then we have to go back to an incident which
occured after the World Cup in USA '94.  Roy was voted Ireland's player of the
tournament because of his lung-bursting performances in the heat and humidity of the
States, in an international
sense he went to the World cup a boy and returned 'the man', the adoration he received
from the whole of the nation made him a star Mick McCarthy could only have  ever
dreamt of becoming.
Whilst 'Thick Mick' was the captain of Ireland he epitomised what was wrong with the
Jack Charlton era for a number of reasons;
   He was a hoofer, why pass the ball when you can hump it 70 yards for
   Aldridge to chase it towards the corner flag.
   He truly was a dreadful footballer, no pace, no touch, no vision, no brain, all he
could do was head the ball.
   He represented everything that was wrong with Irish soccer being the archetypal
'Plastic Paddy' who kept lads who were born in Ireland out of the team (namely
O'Dreary, who although I don't like to say it was a class above this neandorthal in
footballing terms).

In Keane's early years in the squad there was a tour of the US, where after the
friendlies were finished the squad went for a drink & when the team bus came up
outside the pub McCarthy being the captain went in to get them out and had a go at
Keane when he got on the bus saying 'call yourself a footballer, your a disgrace
drinking like that' to which Keane, replied what the whole country felt 'you call
yourself a footballer with a first
touch like that'.

This was the first real sign of animosity between the two, and over the years McCarthy
rather than facing up to it has let it fester without facing the problem and dealing
with it.  When Roy returned from USA '94 he was a star that McCarthy could only have
dreamt about being, he was adored by the press and the public, something which
McCarthy never enjoyed.  what we saw
last week was the manifestation of six years Roy had to endure under this thick as
sh*t Yorkshireman who never had and never will achieve what Roy has in the game.

That McCarthy was allowed to put his personal pride before the hopes of a Nation in
the World Cup is shameful, to 'set-up' our best player in the manner in which he did
makes me sick.  Roy dragged a squad of mediocre players from obscurity to the brink of
achieving something fantastic with his sheer strength of will, and proved without
doubt what a world class player he is, and what thanks did he get for it???  He got
shafted!

Why punish someone for wanting to train, work and prepare properly for the biggest
stage in their lives.  I hate to say this but it is typically Irish to send our only
chance of having a successful campaign home before it starts.  I have thought long and
hard over this issue and a huge part of me wants Us to get beat 3 out of 3 in Japan
because of what McCarthy, the FAI and the spineless trio of Staunton, Alan Kelly and
that f**king 'great guy' Quinn have done to a Legend, these guys should remember the
reason they are in Japan/Korea and not having a holiday in Majorca this summer.  ROY
KEANE.

So please, I ask all Reds from around the World especially those of us with Irish
blood let the FAI know how we feel on this.  You can contact them @ Football Assoc of
Ireland
80 Merrion sq Dublin 2

 Fax: 01-6610931
 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   I and all fair minded football fans in Ireland would really appreciate your help
on this.

 Disgruntled & digusted Irish Red

 Danny

---------------------------------
[42] Eric Brighton beach details
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 27, 2002 by bar-knee:
Press Release

Today Brighton beach, famous for its pebbles, was transformed when 400 tonnes of sand
arrived for the Kronenbourg Cup. Brighton is hosting the UK leg of the European Pro
Beach Soccer League that will take place over the Queen's Golden Jubilee Bank Holiday
weekend (1 - 3 June 2002) and will feature international soccer stars including Eric
Cantona and Matt Le Tissier.

The sand, which has undergone a special washing and drying treatment, has been
transported from Chichester by 23 lorries to create the playing surface within the
purpose built 3,000 seat stadium. The Kronenbourg Cup, full of action and
entertainment, will demonstrate the acrobatic skills and energy that are required to
play beach soccer at the highest level.

Chris Holm, Resort Services Manager, Brighton and Hove City Council, commented,
"Brighton and Hove is currently riding on a wave of success in soccer so we are
delighted that the city is hosting The Kronenbourg Cup, giving local fans the
opportunity to watch the talents of legendary players compete in this spectacular
international beach soccer event"

After the Kronenbourg Cup finishes, the sand-filled stadium will remain in place for a
further few days for Brighton and Hove Albion's 'Football in the Community' scheme.

"The stadium provides a fantastic opportunity for the Football in the Community
scheme," said David Jupp, Football and Community Development Officer, Brighton and
Hove Albion FC.  "We are organising two full days of coaching activities for groups
from in and around Brighton, that will give people the opportunity to try out beach
soccer for themselves."

Tickets to The Kronenbourg Cup are on sale now via the ticket hotline 0870 900 9100
and further information on the event can be obtained by visiting the official website
www.englandbeachsoccer.org.uk

The Kronenbourg Cup 2002 will feature England, Germany, Norway, Switzerland, France
and current European Beach Soccer League Champions

The European Pro Beach Soccer League has two divisions - Northern & Southern Europe
with the following countries competing in a series of events from the beginning of
June to the end of August culminating in the Super Final in Monaco in September. The
Kronenbourg Cup 2002 is the first event in the European Pro Beach Soccer League this
year.

Each team plays three other teams in four tournaments through the course of the
season. The top two teams in each group then qualify for the Monaco Super Final in
September.

Portugal is the current champion of the European Pro Beach Soccer League.

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.