RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[24] Fergie puzzled by Cole ommission
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by redend:

The Boss: "I am surprised Andy is not at the World Cup to be honest - his record at
Blackburn has been terrific."

Regrets? No

He added: "I just felt that I had Ruud and Andy has to play. He is not a good sub, he
will tell you that himself. When Ruud hit that great vein of form, it was difficult to
play him with Andy. I was looking to utilise the pool, to keep the strikers freshened
up."

"Andy was unhappy with that, and I felt 'well, it's £7million, I have had seven years
from him and he cost us £6.5million' so it was good business for the club."

---------------------------------
[23] England injury boost
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by redend:

At last Ingerlund have received some good news on the injury front - Danny Murphy
injured in training.

[From the RED NEWS Geek]

---------------------------------
[22] Yorke - you porked, now you'll fork
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by redend:

The Sun has another candidate for non-story of the day...

"Jordan: I'll get Yorke to fork out for baby"

A piece about how Jordan is going to go after Porno King for child support using the
courts if need be.

[From the RED NEWS Geek]

---------------------------------
[21] Bowyer transfer listed
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by redend:
BREAKING NEWS:

Lee Bowyer has been put on the Sheep's transfer list.

Sounds like Baaaallocks.

But its true.

---------------------------------
[20] Becks Bollox
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by redend:

Following on from yesterday's front page story about Beckham's lunchbox,
http://www.dreamteamfc.com/Sun/servlet/OpenFSELogin?homename=WC2002&language=ENGLISH&aff_id=57
 The Sun have a whole page (page 6) dedicated to various packets.

Under the captions of "Battle of the Bulges" and "Spot the Balls" they have 10
pictures of of male groins and 10 celebs - the idea is you match the celeb with the
groin.

The only thing missing is the "How did you do?" ratings - so here's one they
could use:

1 to 4   - You are a sad b*stard
5 to 8   - You are a sad b*stard
8 to 10 - You sad b*stard" You sad b*stard!

{From the RED NEWS Geek]

---------------------------------
[19] Murkeydive... is full of thieves
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by redend:

It wasn't all fun and games at the celebrity Soccer Six football match in Liverpool on
Sunday - three cars were broken into in the car park. One belonged to former England
star John Barnes, who had spent the whole day signing autographs for adoring kids at
the event. He was gutted [but not surprised?] at the break-in.

---------------------------------
[18] Young Reds get call up
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by redend:

.... for England.

Luke Steele and Eddie Johnson have been selected in the England Under-18 squad for the
tournament next month in Portugal.

Steele (Goalkeeper) joined United from Peterborough earlier this month, while Johnson
(striker) has been with United since he was 16.

The tournament runs from from June 3 to June 10.

---------------------------------
[17] Join RED NEWS Fantasy Football
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by redend:
Only 8 days left ....

******£100,000 WORLD CUP DREAM TEAM******

We've set up our own RED NEWS mini-league which you can join if you join the Dream
Team World Cup Fantasy Football using our link below. The winner gets £50,000 so its
not to be sniffed at [although what yoy spend your winnings on is up to you].

We've checked out all the World Cup fantasy football games in the papers and
http://www.dreamteamfc.com/Sun/servlet/OpenFSELogin?homename=WC2002&language=ENGLISH&aff_id=57
 The Sun definitely has the best one. There's £100,000 of cash prizes including a
£50,000 first prize.

You can join our league for RED NEWS readers - or you can just register on your own if
you're a miserable git who's scared of getting your arse kicked. We'll give the
password out later so you can put your team into the RED NEWS mini league.

You have an imaginary £50million to spend on 11 of the world’s top players. The better
your lads do on the pitch, the more points you score. And points mean prizes! [Look at
what you could have won, nothing in this game for two in a bed - although the editor
claims he once scored with 5 in a bed on a Euro Away but that's another story]

It costs £5 per team [RED NEWS gets 50p of this], but you need to be quick as
registrations close at 12.30pm on Friday May 31.

POINTS SCORING RULES
Awarded seven or more in SunSport's player ratings 3
Star Man in SunSport's player ratings  5
Goal Scored 5
Scoring three or more goals per game 5
Clean Sheet (keeper/defender)  5
Conceded more than one goal (keeper/defender)  -1 per goal
Booking -1
Sent off  -3
Appearance per match in each of the last 16 matches 3
All points scored during last 16 matches Doubled
Top individual points scorer bonus 20

CLICK
http://www.dreamteamfc.com/Sun/servlet/OpenFSELogin?homename=WC2002&language=ENGLISH&aff_id=57
 HERE TO JOIN

http://www.dreamteamfc.com/Sun/servlet/OpenFSELogin?homename=WC2002&language=ENGLISH&aff_id=57

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news

---------------------------------
[16] Fergie on the defensive
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by redend:
Fergie: "We have to address the defence and get a stable situation there - if we get
that we have a marvellous chance. If you look at the centre-back situation, Jaap Stam
was out for six months with an Achilles, Ronny Johnsen's had numerous injuries over
the years, Wes Brown had a cruciate, Gary Neville's injured at the moment."

"It's always centre-backs. It's unusual but it's happened. Until we get stability
there we're going to have inconsistency."

Fergie told MUTV: "What we've achieved in the last 11 years has been phenomenal. This
year we've finished third - the first time we've finished outside the top two in the
last 10 years."

"It might be the kick up the backside we need, as I'm not accepting it. We'll have to
do something about it next year."

---------------------------------
[15] Now that would be rude
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by redend:
According to Spanish reports, Ruud van Nistelrooy is unsettled at United.

The shitehawks suggest Ruud is disappointed with Fergie's tactics and is becoming
increasingly frustrated playing as a lone striker.

Madrid are apparently 'monitoring the situation'.

---------------------------------
[14] Not Saying Its Related But...
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by Farrell:
Our regular, sorry, "More Frequent" news editor isnt working today and this is from
Reuters. Not that Im suggesting anything but the forums www.rednews.co.uk/forums also
seem quiet today:

Cheeky thieves, dubbed the "G-string Gang" by the press, made off with thousands of
pounds worth of racy underwear after a daylight raid on upmarket lingerie designer
Agent Provocateur, according to a spokesman.

The central London headquarters of Agent Provocateur, a favourite among celebrities
such as Kate Moss and Liz Hurley, was burgled over the weekend by thieves who carried
off 27,000 pounds worth of lacy bras, knickers and corsets as well as shoes and
jewellery.

"We were all working upstairs when it appears the thieves broke down the front door
and managed to steal the collections from the basement," Agent Provocateur founder Joe
Corre said on Tuesday.

But the thieves, who got away with the fashion house's new collection, had not made an
intelligent choice in targeting such an exclusive boutique, he said.

"The very nature of the designs, being so distinctive, renders them instantly
recognisable, making it easier to track the thieves down, whatever they try to do with
the collection."

Agent Provocateur is known for its sexy, slinky and expensive designs which include
one-off corsets, suspenders, stockings and G-strings.

A spokesman for London's Metropolitan Police said the burglary was being investigated
but there was no description of the suspects.

---------------------------------
[13] What a Karanka?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by redend:
Rumours are doing the rounds that United are interested in signing Aitor Karanka - the
out-of-contract Real Madrid centre-half.

Probably bollocks but supposedly United and Newcastle have joined Deportivo La Coruna
and Athletic Bilbao in chasing the cheeky Spanish monkey.

---------------------------------
[12] Injury Worries
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by Farrell:
>From Reuters:
Injured England midfielders David Beckham, Kieron Dyer and Nicky Butt could all still
miss the World Cup, manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has said.

"At this moment, we have three players who we're not sure are going to make the World
Cup or not," Eriksson told a news conference.

Beckham is on the mend after the England captain broke a bone in his foot while on
Champions League duty for Manchester United last month, while Dyer and Butt are both
battling knee injuries.

"Nicky Butt is very close to joining in with the rest of the group," Eriksson said.

"He worked very hard this morning and we'll see if this afternoon or at the next
training whether he will work with the group.

"From there on, of course, you have to see.

"For Beckham, it's a bone and hopefully next week he can train with the group. We
think so.

"And then there's Dyer of course. We'll see how quickly he can recover."

With England opening against Sweden on June 2 and playing their second group F match
with Argentina on June 7, Eriksson said: "We think maybe the first game, if not, we
think he (Dyer) will be okay for the second game.

"But that's a decision we have to take one or two days before the Sweden game, whether
it's a big risk, a small risk or whatever it is.

"With an injury like that, some players are quicker at recovering than others.
Hopefully Dyer is quicker."

Asked about England's chances at the finals if all three failed to recover, Eriksson
said: "I never thought about that and I refuse to think about it.

"It would be very, very bad luck. They will win -- at least two of the three."

Teams at the finals can change squads up to 24 hours before their first group match,
should one or more players be ruled out by injury.

Eriksson would recall homeward-bound standby Trevor Sinclair and then turn to players
from the Under-21 squad.

---------------------------------
[11] Kenedy thrown out of Portugal squad
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by Farrell:
>From Ananova:

Portugal midfielder Daniel Kenedy has been thrown out of the World Cup squad after
reportedly failing a drugs test.
The 28-year-old Guinea Bissau-born player tested positive for a banned diuretic that
is normally used to lose weight, according to national news agency Lusa.

Portugal team spokesman Jose Carlos Freitas said Kenedy had been sent back to Portugal
on medical advice. He refused to comment on whether the player was involved in a
doping incident.

The uncapped midfielder has been replaced by Hugo Viana from Portugal's Under-21 team.

Kenedy's inclusion in the World Cup squad surprised many, despite his noteworthy
performances for Portuguese club Maritimo.

---------------------------------
[10] Baresi To Fulham
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by Farrell:
Franco Baresi, the former Italy and Milan defender, was appointed Fulham's director of
football yesterday in a surprise move which could see him take over as manager from
Jean Tigana in 12 months' time. Current Manager Jean Tigana still has until the end of
next season to left on his contract with an option to extend for 2 years but Tigana's
former French colleague Michel Platini said a few months ago that Tigana had told him
he intends to quit.

"I won't be coach for at least the first year," Baresi told Milan's website yesterday.
"The current coach, Tigana, will remain in his post and my eventual takeover will be
up to [the Fulham chairman] Mohamed Al Fayed."

---------------------------------
[9] Wembley In London Preference And Wasted Cash "Shock"
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by Farrell:
You dont say...

The national audit office is to launch a full-scale inquiry into the £715m Wembley
national stadium project after a powerful committee of MPs was yesterday told of a
catalogue of financial mismanagement. The evidence suggested that normal commercial
practice was not followed when contracts were awarded to design, build and fit the
troubled project and that favouritism was shown to particular bidders.
The inquiry is the latest setback in a project that has been dogged by controversy and
delays since it was conceived seven years ago. It may signal the death knell for a
scheme that has so far had difficulty in attracting finance.

The culture secretary, Tessa Jowell, will address the commons on Wembley tomorrow. She
is likely to admit that the government cannot yet endorse the Wembley project, as it
has not passed all the tests that she set it last December, including attracting the
commitment of the banks.

Wembley National Stadium Limited, the company that was set up by the Football
Association to administer the project, has been in talks with the German bank WestLB.
The bank has not yet gone to the City to try to put together a syndicate and the
involvement of the NAO is unlikely to encourage potential backers.
The select committee of the Department of Culture, Media and Sport heard damning
evidence that certain companies were given preferential treatment and that standard
procedures for the management of large scale projects were not followed.
Giving evidence, David Hudson, chairman and managing director of Tropus, a firm of
procurement consultants engaged by WNSL, said that if the Wembley project had been run
more efficiently, £100m of the total cost could have been saved. There was, however,
no evidence of criminality.

MPs were told that "preferential treatment" had been given to Bovis-Multiplex, which
was bidding for the right to construct a new Wembley and that it was allowed access to
documents other bidders did not have.

"The competition that was put in place was clearly not fair in our opinion," said Mr
Hudson.

---------------------------------
[8] The M word, Its In There Somewhere...
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by Farrell:
>From The Guardian:

Kevin Keegan is close to making Nicolas Anelka his fifth and most prominent signing
since Manchester City's promotion to the Premiership after opening talks on a
club-record £13m move.
Willie McKay, Anelka's Monaco-based agent, confirmed that City had established
themselves in pole position and that the deal "could be finalised before the end of
the week". But City manager Kevin Keegan is acutely aware that seven other clubs,
including Bayern Munich, Fulham and Newcastle United have also spoken to the player's
representatives.

Anelka has also been linked with Manchester United after Liverpool, on Monday,
cancelled plans to turn his spell on loan from Paris St Germain into a permanent move.
Keegan has a strong relationship with McKay, working with him to complete the
transfers of Lucien Mettomo, Ali Benarbia, Alain Toure and, most recently, Sylvain
Distin.

"The interest in Nicolas is phenomenal. He is wanted by three Spanish clubs, a massive
club in Germany and three Premiership clubs apart from Manchester City. But he has his
heart set on playing next season for Kevin, for whom he has enormous respect," said
McKay. "I think the move to Maine Road could be finalised before the end of this
week."

He added that Anelka, 23, had spoken to Benarbia, a former PSG team-mate. "Ali really
sold Manchester City to him. He told Nicolas all about the fantastic fans at Maine
Road, the new stadium and Kevin's plans to turn City into a major Premiership force."
Keegan has already signed Peter Schmeichel from Aston Villa, Tyrone Loran from
Volendam, Mikkel Bischoff from AB Copenhagen and Distin from PSG, as well as coming
close to pulling off an audacious offer for Bayern's Stefan Effenberg.

· Middlesbrough are to appeal against a decision by the High Court to throw out their
claim for £7.5m damages against Liverpool over the transfer of Christian Ziege two
years ago. "It is not so much that the claim is fanciful, it is that it does not
exist," said the judge.

---------------------------------
[7] World Cup Set To Outscore Jubilee On TV
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by Farrell:
Well I would have thought it was obvious but thats just my opinion, this by Alan
Travis from The Guardian

Many more people - nearly half the country - are likely to watch the World Cup than
the television coverage of the royal jubilee celebrations, according to a Guardian/ICM
opinion poll published today.
As might be expected there is a sharp divide between men and women on how to spend the
next bank holiday weekend.

But the ICM poll also shows that the answer to what you are more interested in -
football or royals - depends on your age and class. There is even a north-south
divide.

The results show that 49% say they are likely to watch the World Cup on television,
while 30% say they will opt for the royal celebrations.

Some 6% say they hope to watch both while a more resistant 14% are interested in
neither. But the the country is divided by gender. A clear 63% of men say that faced
with the choice they will be watching the football and only 17% of them will opt for
the royals. Among women, 42% want to watch the jubilee celebrations, though a
surprising 36% say they would choose the football first.

Among the young it is no contest, with 70% of 18- to 24-year-olds looking forward to
the football. However, half of over-65s are most looking forward to the celebrations
for the Queen.

The idea that the middle classes have long ago taken over football is borne out by the
fact that a majority of the more affluent pick the World Cup while the poorer working
classes prefer the jubilee. The poll also reveals there is more enthusiasm in the
south of England than in the north for the jubilee celebrations.

The survey shows that 65% of the country do not plan to take part in a street party or
other royal jubilee celebration. Nearly one-third - 31% - say they do intend to
participate in the jubilee celebrations, with the proportion rising to 38% among
Conservative voters and falling to 25% among Liberal Democrat families.

The poll also confirms that a clear majority - 56% - believe the royal family's
current role is outdated and in need of modernisation. Some 39% believe it should stay
as it is.

But while the royals have some way to go in bringing themselves into the 21st century,
59% still believe that Britain would be worse off without them. More than one in four
voters - some 27% - and a third of Labour voters say, however, that the country would
be better off without them.

If that result is encouraging for Buckingham Palace it should bear in mind that
despite the natural boost to the popularity of the monarchy in golden jubilee year and
after the death of the Queen Mother, the level of support has not returned to the
70%-plus levels recorded by this occasional tracker question on the Guardian/ICM poll
in the 1980s.

ICM interviewed a random sample of 1,003 adults by telephone between May 17 and 19.
Interviews were conducted across the country and the results have been weighted to the
profile of all adults.

---------------------------------
[6] Another What If For The Season Past?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by Farrell:
Sir Alex Ferguson has reiterated his regret at missing out on signing Paolo di Canio.

Ferguson wanted to sign the Italian in January, but the deal went down the pan when
Dwight Yorke refused to join Middlesbrough.

The United boss still rues his failure to land the West Ham striker and feels he would
have brought an extra dimension to United's attack.

"I was very, very keen," he told MUTV. "I think Paolo's one of the best players in the
Premier League.

"I think he would have been a fantastic player to bring in at that time because Diego
Forlan was young. He would have added that little bit extra because he's a fantastic
player."

---------------------------------
[5] Todays Non Story Is...
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by Farrell:
Keane to quit Republic of Ireland Squad only to change his mind a few hours later.

Roy trained with the Irish squad this morning but was apparently unhappy at being out
there and cited personal problems as well as the ongoing problems with his knee.

Suggestions that Keane's quit threat was due to an incident with goalkeeping coach
Packie Bonner in training were denied by McCarthy.

Keane was reportedly angry because the Republic's three goalkeepers - Shay Given, Dean
Kiely and Alan Kelly - did not take part in five-a-side practice matches.

Keane wanted to fly home but changed his mind a few hours later, shortly after Mick
McCarthy had telephoned Celtic's Colin Healy to tell him he was calling him into the
squad as Keane's replacement.

---------------------------------
[4] More Transfer Speculation?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by Farrell:
No, sorry its just Argentina's Squad for the World Cup:

Goalkeepers: German Burgos (Atletico Madrid/Spa), Pablo Cavallero (Celta/Spa), Roberto
Bonano (Barcelona/Spa)

Defenders: Jose Chamot (AC Milan/Ita), Walter Samuel (Roma/Ita), Mauricio Pochettino
(Paris Saint Germain/Fra), Diego Placente (Bayer Leverkusen/Ger), Roberto Ayala
(Valencia/Spa)

Midfielders: Diego Simeone (Lazio/Ita), Javier Zanetti (Inter-Milan/Ita), Marcelo
Gallardo (Monaco/Fra), Claudio Husain (Napoli/Ita), Juan Sebastian Veron (Manchester
United/Eng), Matias Almeyda (Parma/Ita), Cristian Gonzales (Valencia/Spa), Pablo Aimar
(Valencia/Spa), Gustavo Lopez (Celta/Spa), Juan Pablo Sorin (Cruzeiro/Bra)

Forwards: Gabriel Batistuta (Roma/Ita), Hernan Crespo (Lazio/Ita), Ariel Ortega (River
Plate), Claudio Lopez (Lazio/Ita), Claudio Caniggia (Rangers/Sco).

---------------------------------
[3] For Anyone Lucky Enough To be Going Part 2
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by Farrell:
Ticket chaos loomed at the World Cup in Japan on Wednesday as organisers admitted they
might be forced to ask thousands of fans to pick up their tickets on matchdays.

The Japanese organising committee for the World Cup (JAWOC [Star Wars?]) has set up an
emergency taskforce as some 150,000 tickets being printed in Britain have yet to
arrive, a spokesman said.
JAWOC has also asked world governing body FIFA to investigate the delays.
In the worst-case scenario, JAWOC may have to resort to on-the-spot handouts for about
20,000 tickets for matches to be played in early June, raising the spectre of a
chaotic scramble.

Byrom, a firm in Manchester, England, is handling printing of World Cup tickets for
FIFA.
JAWOC has asked FIFA general secretary Michel Zen-Ruffinen for an investigation of the
printing delay.

The World Cup kicks off in Seoul on May 31 with the first matches in Japan played the
day after. The tournament runs until June 30.

---------------------------------
[2] Quintons Lot Ready For Action
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by Farrell:
South Africa have qualified for their second World Cup in a row but have failed to
impress in recent matches, suffering warm-up defeats to Saudi Arabia and Georgia and
managing only goalless draws against Botswana and Ecuador.
Even Monday's 2-0 victory over Scotland here flattered Bafana Bafana ("The Boys") with
the second goal coming in injury time.
And with a wealth of talent at their disposal -- including fit-again defensive bulwark
Lucas Radebe, Manchester United's Quinton Fortune and Benni McCarthy of Celta Vigo --
the South Africans will be hoping for an improvement on their France '98 showing,
where they went out in the first round.
"Monday was the first time these guys have played together and in my opinion it's
looking good," said coach Jono Somo.
"There are a few things to work on but there are good signs in this team.
"We'll field our strongest line-up against Turkey. We want to win."

---------------------------------
[1] For Anyone That Might Be Going
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 22, 2002 by Farrell:
In Japan cash is king and football fans travelling here for the World Cup finals may
run into trouble trying to pay with plastic.

Surprisingly for the world's second largest economy, most banks in Japan do not accept
overseas bank cards, foreign exchange is largely limited to US dollars and outside big
cities there are relatively few places where the major international credit cards are
accepted.

[Is that it? ]

[Yep]

---------------------------------
[26] England draw
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2002 by bar-knee:
A very sprightly and decent South Korea 1 England 1

Scholes started the game, Brown ended it. Owen scored.

---------------------------------
[25] Fergie's horse
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2002 by bar-knee:
Rock Of Gibraltar - runs the Irish 2,000 Guineas on Saturday. Backing it? Use our
sportingodds link.

---------------------------------
[24] Stuart Pearce on United's England players
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2002 by bar-knee:
“Paul Scholes is a manager’s dream. He is as hard as nails, not fazed by anyone or
anything, can get you a goal as well as create one, is unassuming and just someone you
would want in your side every time. If we had 11 of him then you would be talking
about a very difficult team to beat. Gary Neville is tremendously experienced at
international level – something that must not be underestimated – a natural leader and
organiser and someone who can do just as good a job in the middle as he can at
full-back. He will definitely be missed. He is also a great foil and friend to David
Beckham and has a great understanding with the other United lads. It is possible that
as the tournament progresses everyone will come to realise what an exceptionally good
job Gary does for England.”

---------------------------------
[23] Veron starts getting criticism all over
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2002 by bar-knee:
with regard to his comments. Press agenda or not, timed for the England game or not,
even the official site says of the quotes: 'Steady on, Seba!'.

---------------------------------
[22] Liverpool get slated over Anelka
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2002 by bar-knee:
PSG vice-president Alain Cayzac

"Gerard called me yesterday. The conversation was short and cold and he told me that
he did not want Nicolas any more.
 I told him that he was not respecting his commitments, and despite the good
relationships I had with him I am very disappointed by his behaviour. Liverpool's
attitude is not that of a great club. For me everything was sorted even if there was
no written agreement. This is our fault in a sense, in that in the soccer world, one
must be hard and merciless. At some point I have had doubts, but Houllier always
assured me that Nicolas was his first choice. At the same time he was talking about a
few details to sort out. Gerard Houllier used Anelka, the wage negotiations started
very badly but he never fixed an ultimatum, he never directly spoke to Anelka before
the end of the league. He needed him so he made things last."

http://www.dreamteamfc.com/Sun/servlet/OpenFSELogin?homename=WC2002&language=ENGLISH&aff_id=57

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news

---------------------------------
[21] Best fans in the business, hardest job in the world
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2002 by bar-knee:
These siddy fans, they're great you know.

Anelka's agent Willie McKay

"Kevin is very easy to work with and once he has got his sights on signing a player he
doesn't hang around. I think the move to Maine Road for Anelka could be finalised
before the end of this week. Ali told Nicolas all about the fantastic fans at Maine
Road, the new stadium and Keegan's plans to turn City into a major Premiership force
and that was just what Nicolas wanted to hear."

---------------------------------
[20] Fergie blames Dwight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I wanted that extra player with experience, like Paolo, who would have given us a
terrific lift, but it didn't materialise because I couldn't sell Dwight Yorke.  Dwight
wouldn't go to Middlesbrough, which is something I'm sure he regrets now.  Between him
and his agent they asked for a terrible amount of money, which Steve McClaren quite
rightly wasn't prepared to pay.  That deal floundered and the Paolo di Canio deal also
floundered."

---------------------------------
[19] Special lunchtime Becks story
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2002 by bar-knee:
The SUN, front page story...

A picture of Becks sat down and stretching his left leg with a bulging groin area is
accompanied by the following:

"Great Tackle Becks"

David Beckham stretches his injured foot yesterday - but forgets about ball control.
The England skipper, 26 - who usually packs 'em in at Old Trafford - sported the most
impressive lunchbox since Lindford Christie as he trained in South Korea.

The SUN at it's journalistic best :>)

---------------------------------
[18] city's massive chance
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2002 by bar-knee:
of signing Anelka

Anelka's Monaco-based agent, Willie McKay

"Nicolas has got his heart set on playing next season for Kevin Keegan, whom he has
enormous respect for"

http://www.dreamteamfc.com/Sun/servlet/OpenFSELogin?homename=WC2002&language=ENGLISH&aff_id=57

Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news

---------------------------------
[17] Fergie on Di Canio bid
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I was very, very keen. I think Paolo's one of the best players in the Premier League.
I think he would have been a fantastic player to bring in at that time because Diego
Forlan was young. He would have added that little bit extra because he's a fantastic
player."

Again says a lot that despite Di Canio not dropping his high demands, the PLC would
still not fork out the 'low' £3m transfer fee.

[16] massive competition
Posted Tuesday, May 21, 2002 by bar-knee:
city will join the bidding war with United for Anelka, putting in a £13m marker
according to the Star.

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.