RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[25] More Sven on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
"David's condition is rather good. He did very well in Dubai last week, running,
swimming, kicking with his right foot and standing on his left. I know it's over a
month since he was injured but he won't have forgotten how to play football in that
time, you can be sure of that. I think he'll be ready for the Sweden game, but of
course we cannot be 100 per cent sure. The medical staff are very positive, which is a
good sign.David is, of course, such an important player for England. He should be
ready."

---------------------------------
[24] Beckham on the World Cup
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The Sweden game is the most important one for us. People are already focusing on the
Argentina game, but our performance against Sweden will set the tone for our World
Cup. If we can get off to the perfect start by getting a result against Sweden, that
will give us a lot of confidence for the next two group games and a great chance of
qualifying for the next round. The most important thing is making sure we get through
the group stage. That's the hardest thing. After that, anything is possible when you
get to the knockout stage. You have to go into a World Cup believing you can win it,
otherwise there's no point in going. We've got some quality players, so we have to be
confident. Nigeria are physically and technically strong. They're a good side. African
football has come on massively in the last few years and we can't afford to
underestimate Nigeria at all. Any team who gets to the World Cup Finals deserves to be
respected."

---------------------------------
[23] Same old FA
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Telegraph

'There is growing anger among Premier League clubs about how the Football Association
treat them and Peter Hill-Wood, the chairman of Arsenal, has written a strongly-worded
letter to Adam Crozier, the chief executive of the FA, on the issue.

Hill-Wood complained in the letter, dated May 13, that Arsenal and Chelsea had only
26,000 seats each for the FA Cup final in Cardiff because of the needs of the
"football family".

He wrote: "I appreciate that the `football family' grows in size, but so too does our
fan base and our staff. I can see, therefore, no reason why the participating clubs
should have a reduced allocation."

Hill-Wood also complained that the tickets for the "football family" were the best in
the ground while fans of the clubs had the worst.

The FA also reserved the best tickets, to sell as commercial packages, for the
semi-final at Old Trafford. The decision backfired as some of the £100 seats were not
taken. Hill-Wood said: "There were a number of seats that were empty which I was
informed was due to the fact that the Football Association could not sell their
hospitality packages.

"I think it is sad that due to this heavy price level, you could not sell these seats
and thereby reduced the gate receipts resulting in a loss of our share of the gate
money."

Hill-Wood was shocked to learn the day before the final that Arsenal were not to
receive any gate receipts from Cardiff. Last August, the FA had told the clubs that
they had made a £30 million investment in the competition and that this would result
in more prize money.

Hill-Wood's letter added: "In none of your communications to the club did you advise
us that, in effect, the prize money for the final was being funded by the gate
receipts at the game."

---------------------------------
[22] Quotes from the past
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
David O'Dreary when Fergie announced initial plans to retire

"I hope he stays on for a few more years yet, is talked out of retirement...to give me
more time to kick his butt...we are not afraid of them"

---------------------------------
[21] Becks latest
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
Steve McClaren:

"David is still on course and going well.  He is progressing in the right direction
and the medical team are very pleased with him."

---------------------------------
[20] More on celebprickgate
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
Angus Deayton on being found out

"I'm devastated by the hurt this has caused to those loved ones close to me."

---------------------------------
[19] Fortune happy, Stewart sad
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
South Africa 2 - Scotland 0

Fortune played most of the game, Stewart came on as a late sub.

---------------------------------
[18] Desailly wants to win Premiership
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
Best join United then

"I have two years left on my contract, so there is nothing to say about my future. If,
in that time, I can win the championship with Chelsea, it will be something special.
The club has not won it for so long and winning it at the end of next season really
would be special. I want to win it with Chelsea."

---------------------------------
[17] History has a habit of repeating itself
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
city have signed Sylvain Distin, their second signing of the summer. Wor Kev tries to
do an Alan Ball and have a squad of 4598 players with the hope that surely 11 of them
must be able to kick a ball the right way.

---------------------------------
[16] Saint Michael on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I would prefer David to be doing it (the captaincy) and I'm expecting him to be
leading the team out for Sweden and if he is not I will be willing an able to do it.
David is a vital member of the team and we need the captain to be fit. Every team has
players they don't want to miss and David is one of them. There are a few injuries at
the present moment but we are not overly concerned about that and as long as we are
all fit for the World Cup itself then it won't be a problem."

---------------------------------
[15] Veron rumours continue
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
Daily Star also suggest Veron in Barca bound - for £30m

---------------------------------
[14] United sign internet deal
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
Again something we said in the fanzine that was coming at the start of the season

>From Ananova

'Manchester United have signed up Terra Lycos, the world's largest internet network,
in a four-year deal.

The club wants to create "online communities" for its non-English-speaking fans around
the world.

Terra Lycos will become the club's online partner, helping it to develop its content
and brand strength in interactive media.

The Nasdaq-listed company operates in 43 countries and in 20 languages.

Manchester United, who estimate they have 50 million fans worldwide, will gain access
to the firm's 115 million users per month.

David Gill, managing director of Manchester United, says: "We want to build online
communities for our fans so they can interact with us and with each other in their own
languages."

Lycos Asia will build a Chinese-language online destination for the football club in
China, while Terra Latin America will promote the club in South America.

Lycos Europe and Lycos Asia will also become the sales agent for Manchester United's
online properties in their respective marketplaces.

Lycos US will serve as the exclusive online partner for the recently announced
Manchester United US Tour in 2003.

Terra Lycos will also become a "Platinum Sponsor" of the club.'

---------------------------------
[13] Forlan in
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
the Uruguay's World Cup squad.

---------------------------------
[12] IMUSA meeting in London
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
The final London meeting of the season will take place on Tuesday May 21st at 8pm at
the usual venue, the Princess Louise pub near Holborn tube station. Although the
season has finished disappointingly, we would like you all to come along - this has
been an experimental time for IMUSA London and we would like some feedback from all of
you. In addition, the London committee will be reorganised to mirror the new structure
expected to be adopted by IMUSA at the AGM. That means we will need a representative
for each of 7 areas, the precise details of which will be provided at the meeting.

If you are interested in being one of these representatives then please come to the
meeting ready to have a brief chat and we will have some sort of vote at the end of
the meeting.

Also, we are going to be making a concerted effort to line up some guests for next
season's meetings - we are in touch with Norman Whiteside, but if you have any other
suggestions/contacts/ideas, please come along and let us know.

Cheers,
Paul.

---------------------------------
[11] www.rednews.co.uk
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
Just to reassure our readers. The site will continue to expand and we have no plans to
charge for access to the website itself provided we can cover our costs through our
readers utilising the following:

sales of the fanzine

(end of season special available - issue 86 - for £2.50 including   p&p)

through sales via our online shop (click on shop option)

having a bet via our betting links

 http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews1
Check http://www.rednews.co.uk to view the image which has been removed from plain
text email version of news

ordering books and videos through our amazon & blackstar links

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/external-search/026-9656843-0464430?tag=rednewsunitesfir&keyword=Manchester+United&mode=blended

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/external-search/026-9656843-0464430?tag=rednewsunitesfir&keyword=Manchester+United&mode=blended

subscribing to the fanzine itself (just £18.50 for a ten issue subscription in the UK)

and taking advantage of other adverts and offers which appear on the site.

If we can't cover our costs like this we will obviously have to look at other options
- any suggestions are always welcome at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[10] Not as big as Abba though
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
The SUN reports that t-shirts doing well in Sweden before the World Cup have the witty
slogan

Beckham...

who the f**k is Beckham

With humour like that, who needs...

---------------------------------
[9] Keegan not up to the job
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
Adam Crozier in new book on Sven on Keegan bottling it for England

"Quitting after Germany left us completely rudderless for the trip to Helsinki.
Another false start in the second game, which was what we had, was always going to
make the task of qualifying even more difficult for whoever took over permanently. So
I felt Kevin should have stayed on for that one and I certainly tried very hard to
persuade him, as did a number of players...Anybody who knows Kevin will tell you that
once he has made his mind up about something, that's it. He won't budge...Kevin could
see there were good young players coming through who were going to improve the team
over the next couple of years and he wasn't sure if he was the right man to get the
best out of them. I felt it was very brave for him to say: 'I don't think I'm up to
the job'. The thing I didn't agree with him over was the timing. My view was if that
was the way he felt, the time to go was after the game in Finland, four days
later...Crucial to his decision was the reaction of the fans. He had alwa!
ys had a fantastic relationship with them - now they were booing and insulting him. In
the dressing room, his mindset was complete. He wasn't emotional. People imagine that
he was but he wasn't...Even for the game on the Wednesday, his point of view was that
the team would do better under someone else. He said to me 'I don't think I can lift
the players because I don't feel up there myself'."

---------------------------------
[8] 5-a-side United fans tourny
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
 EUROWORLD TRAVEL

2nd Annual Manchester United Supporters 5 a'side Tournament
to be held once again at 'Blackpool' Saturday 6th July
£75 per team for an application form please call 01253 300250 or e'mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[7] Champions League Qualifiers in full
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
Country Qualifying round 1
Albania Din Tirana/Tirana
Armenia FC Pyunik
Azerbaijan      Shamkir
Belarus Belshina
Bosnia-Herz     Zeljeznicar
Bulgaria        Levski Sofia
Cyprus  Apoel Nicosia
Estonia Flora Tallinn
Faroes  B36 Tórshavn
Finland Tampere United
Georgia T Kutaisi/Din Tblisi/L Tblisi
Iceland ÍA Akranes
Latvia  Skonto Riga
Lithuania       Kaunas
Luxembourg      Dudelange
Macedonia       Vardar/Belasica
Malta           Hibernians
Moldova Sheriff Tiraspol
N Ireland       Portadown
Rep of Ire      Shelbourne
Slovenia        Maribor
Wales           Barry Town

Country Qualifying round 2
Austria Sturm Graz
Belgium Bruges
Croatia NK Zagreb
Czech Rep       Sparta Prague
Denmark Brøndby/København
Hungary Zalaegers/Hungaria
Israel  Maccabi Haifa
Norway  Lillestrøm
Poland  Legia Warsaw
Portugal        Boavista
Romania Nat Buc/Din Buc
Scotland        Celtic
Slovakia        Zilina
Sweden  Hammarby
Switzerland     Basle
Ukraine Shakhtar Donetzh
Yugoslavia      Partizan Belgrade

Country Qualifying round 3
Austria Tirol Innsbruck
Belgium Genk
Czech Rep       Slovan Liberec
England Manchester United
Newcastle United
France  Auxerre
Germany Bayern Munich
Greece  AEK Athens
Italy           Internazionale
Milan
Netherlands     Feyenoord
Norway  Rosenborg
Portugal        Sporting Portugal
Russia  Lokomotiv Moscow
Spain           Barcelona
Turkey  Fenerbahçe
Ukraine Dynamo Kyiv

Country Group stage
England Arsenal
Liverpool
France  Lyon
Lens
Germany Borussia Dortmund
Bayer Leverkusen
Greece  Olympiakos
Italy           Juventus
Roma
Netherlands     Ajax
PSV Eindhoven
Russia  Spartak Moscow
Spain           Real Madrid
Valencia
Deportivo
Turkey  Galatasaray

---------------------------------
[6] Becks get praise - Part 2
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
Franz Beckenbauer

"David Beckham is a wonderful player, one of the best in the world.  He is captain and
so is an important player, one of the key players for England. I think they have a
good chance of reaching the semi-finals. Once there it is possible to make the final."

---------------------------------
[5] Becks get praise - part 1
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
Italian Claudio Gentile

"He is an inspirational captain who can definitely take England all the way. Italy,
France and Argentina may be considered the favourites, but I feel England belong in
the same category.  In my eyes, they are one of the favourites. They could be the
surprise package of this World Cup. In Beckham, they have a player who is already one
of the biggest and best talents in the world. In my view, he is on a level with
Zidane. He is a true star, one of the brightest anywhere in the game.  Technically, he
is perfect. He is the complete player, one with magnificent vision and a beautiful
technique. He has the ability to go past players if need be and, of course, he has
this knack of hitting passes from any distance and landing them on exactly the spot he
wants.  When you put all his attributes together, you get the complete player."

---------------------------------
[4] Old news - for the latest always go for Red News
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
Mail reported at the weekend that Wenger is after Jaap Stam. Regular readers of the
mag will know that this was in our gossip column of our latest issue, out some 2 weeks
ago, and that one ex Arse player is loudly boasting that the signing is in the bag.

---------------------------------
[3] Sven on Becks and Butt
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I hope both of them will be able to take some part against Cameroon although we are
not yet sure. David Beckham's condition is rather good. We think he will be ready for
the Sweden game and all our medical staff are very positive."

---------------------------------
[2] Red News offer
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
We have produced nine issues of Red News this season and currently have limited stock
of 8 available. We are offering a special summer offer

All 8 issues together with a copy of the Red News book on May 26th 1999 - European
Glory - thrown in for free.

In the UK this offer, including p&p costs just £13.50
£16 for Europe and £18 for Rest of the World
(the full retail price for this offer would usually be £26).

Send all orders to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG

[1] Ronaldo drops Premiership hint
Posted Monday, May 20, 2002 by bar-knee:
Asked which teams he'd play for

"Arsenal. I like them a lot. And Manchester United. Those are two that I like"

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.