I use IPCop which is derived from slackware. The best thing about IPCop is that the entire config fits on a floppy. Mine is running on an old 200mhz machine and the harddrive tanked while I was up here in Cleveland. I was able to talk my wife over the phone through swapping the drive, booting off the IPCop cd, and step 3 asks for the config floppy. She put that in, clicked ok, rebooted and we were back in business. It doesn't get any easier than that, and now she can truthfully claim that she's not only installed linux, but that she's also configured a fully stateful, application layer firewall. I like my women to have geek cred ;)
-Kyle On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 4:05 PM, MrViggy <[email protected]> wrote: > Heh. I still use Slackware on my firewalls at home. > > On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Kyle Munz <[email protected]> wrote: > >> It's never been easier. Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the >> latest ISO for your platform. Burn the ISO to a cd and boot off of it. It >> will boot off of the cd and let you tour the OS without even touching the >> harddrive. If you do decide to "take the plunge" just doubleclick the >> "Install" icon on the desktop, it will resize your windows partition and >> install a boot loader and everything. As far as a manual goes, Ubuntu has >> the best online community of the different distros at >> http://www.ubuntu.com/. that's the whole reason why I recommend that >> distro over the others. This sure beats the days of installing everything by >> text just to get to a CLI prompt and then you start adding modules to >> recompile the kernel with and then start fighting to get X up and running... >> >> -Kyle >> >> -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~--- >> >> > > > > --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
