Hello All,
         Well mustering the best in engineering (you might question
that after what I'm about to describe) I mustered up a temporary
solution to my lack of gauge lights.
         Went to the hardware store - picked up a pair of LED
flashlights ($2.50 /each) and used plastic wire ties (aka cable wraps)
to attach each flashlight near the brake fluid reservoir and the left
hand side hand grip. A little adjusting later - the right hand one
shines on the speedometer, the left hand one shines on the tach, (both
cross on the instrument panel) and provide just enough illumination
that I can clearly see the gauges and not too much to look like I'm
lighting up the sky.
          DOT approved? Probably not. Workable - yes. Advantage, no
tearing apart of perfectly working gauges and wiring - disadvantage
battery replacement required and not exactly legal....
          -Joey (last of the great bike Mechanics. Really.)