Nothing like a little redneck engineering to get you're pulse up. Glad you 
found the culprit. BTW those bikes didn't have the greatest electrical 
connections to begin with. you might want to take them all apart and clean 
them, along with the fuse box. If you haven't found theGSResources site yet 
they have a plethora of information on those bikes.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Joey Kelley <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 20:47:59 
To: <[email protected]>
Reply-To: [email protected]
Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Joey's Electrical Update

Hello All,
        Trying to keep you all Current on my electrical situation. To
put it mildly, I've been rather amped up over it.
        Since my last public announcement on the issue I've eaten a
total of six fuses between troubleshooting and attempting to ride the
bike. The issue got progressively worse, the last time I attempted to
ride it I got about 30 feet before the fuse blew. I determined that if
I shut off the running lights (this particular bike, a 1978 Suzuki GS
1000 has a light switch that can do that) the fuse would not blow.
This ruled out my early guess that it was somehow related to the brake
switches (one or both). When I got home from work today (took the bike
to work) I began really troubleshooting. I confirmed that the fuse
would blow as soon as I turned the running light switch on. I should
say that the running light switch turns on the low beam of the head
light, the front turn signals / running lights and the rear tail
light. So in my best troubleshooting fashion - I disassembled the tail
light and pulled out the two bulbs from the rear of the bike. Put a
new fuse in and bam - it blew again. Next phase was to attempt and
isolate the headlight from the rest of the system. I found a plug that
hooks the fairing into the Bike's electrical system and unplugged it.
Amazingly - everything worked. Ah HA! Problem in the fairing.
Investigation revealed a chafed wire on the left turn signal / running
light. This is what it is supposed to look like:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QAmuQy_k8YRRLC5GyWnkS4vxhaeLKDR2qLIMrkM6qEc?feat=directlink
Here it what is looks like:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1Z4-v7CuukyG6-WJDZW84ovxhaeLKDR2qLIMrkM6qEc?feat=directlink
OH! Fortunately I believe I can get a new bulb socket locally and get
the existing wiring plug soldered in to the replacement socket.
            The bike will be down a day or two to get parts and get
the fix made.
           At least I found it!
        As soon as I figured it out - I was very relieved - I even
said "Ohm my God I'm glad thats it".
        And you thought I was done with the puns!
         -Joey

-- 
-Joey Kelley
JoeyKelley.com - My Life Online
JoeyFixesComputers.com - Its What I Do!
JoeyKelleyPhoto.com - Photographing Today, For Tomorrow

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

Reply via email to