Joey/Graham,
Here are some other links you might find useful>
BikeCliff's website: one of the moderators on theGSResources.com
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
a set of carb rebuild kits for the 78-79 GS1000 for $63
You will need them as the Mikuni carbs have lots of o-rings in them.
http://www.jerryscycles.com/catalog/i191.html
You might want to replace the RR proactively since they tend to fry
the stator.
http://www.electrosport.com/street-bikes/suzuki/gs1000-78-79.html
if you want to get rid of the points and go electronic ignition
Dyna makes a conversion unit.
http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/products/sportbikes/dyna_s/
and a writeup on how to install:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/cbsaunders/gs/
upgrade_to_electronic_ignition.pdf
Hope these are helpful.
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Joey Kelley <[email protected]>
wrote:
Graham,
Must be nice to have a stash of old bike parts! Do you
occasionally scrap ones that are too far gone after stripping parts or
do you get all your parts as needed?
I think we can all agree that the 80s vintage bikes are going to
suffer from a lack of parts availability sooner rather than later. (in
some cases - already!)
-Joey
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 8:57 AM, Graham Rogers <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Joey, keep us informed on your GS project. I have a '79 GS1000
that I'll be
> starting on soon. Just got a brand new seat for it on eBay for
$60. Now I
> need to get the tank cleaned and painted. I have a GS750 tank
that if an
> exact fit. Both have rust inside, but the GS750 tank has just a
light rust
> film. That's why I'm interested in a one stage treatment like
Lie asked
> about. Someone mentioned Evapo-Rust. I'll check that at NAPA
today. I
> imagine the GS850 is the same tank also, Graham
>
> On Apr 13, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Joey Kelley wrote:
>
>> All,
>> Well I can't rag on the PO too much - he is a friend of the
>> family.... and to be fair, he had two other bikes so I'm sure some
>> things got overlooked.
>> Allen - thanks for the tip on GSResources - right on the main
>> page they have an event up here in Maine (about 2.5 hours away -
close
>> by Maine standards) that I'm now thinking of going to!
>> Anyway, I shall try not to clog up the NH Group with my GS
>> problems, but a few of them are generic enough to provide some
>> knowledge to everyone (I think).
>> Next, I'll be flushing out carbs trying to get all four
>> cylinders firing properly.
>> -Joey
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Kyle Munz <[email protected]>
wrote:
>>>
>>> Didn't we have a thread about names to call "Previous Owners"
before?
>>>
>>> -Kyle
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Joey Kelley
<[email protected]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hello All,
>>>> Trying to keep you all Current on my electrical
situation. To
>>>> put it mildly, I've been rather amped up over it.
>>>> Since my last public announcement on the issue I've eaten a
>>>> total of six fuses between troubleshooting and attempting to
ride the
>>>> bike. The issue got progressively worse, the last time I
attempted to
>>>> ride it I got about 30 feet before the fuse blew. I determined
that if
>>>> I shut off the running lights (this particular bike, a 1978
Suzuki GS
>>>> 1000 has a light switch that can do that) the fuse would not
blow.
>>>> This ruled out my early guess that it was somehow related to
the brake
>>>> switches (one or both). When I got home from work today (took
the bike
>>>> to work) I began really troubleshooting. I confirmed that the
fuse
>>>> would blow as soon as I turned the running light switch on. I
should
>>>> say that the running light switch turns on the low beam of the
head
>>>> light, the front turn signals / running lights and the rear tail
>>>> light. So in my best troubleshooting fashion - I disassembled
the tail
>>>> light and pulled out the two bulbs from the rear of the bike.
Put a
>>>> new fuse in and bam - it blew again. Next phase was to attempt
and
>>>> isolate the headlight from the rest of the system. I found a
plug that
>>>> hooks the fairing into the Bike's electrical system and
unplugged it.
>>>> Amazingly - everything worked. Ah HA! Problem in the fairing.
>>>> Investigation revealed a chafed wire on the left turn signal /
running
>>>> light. This is what it is supposed to look like:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/
QAmuQy_k8YRRLC5GyWnkS4vxhaeLKDR2qLIMrkM6qEc?feat=directlink
>>>> Here it what is looks like:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1Z4-v7CuukyG6-
WJDZW84ovxhaeLKDR2qLIMrkM6qEc?feat=directlink
>>>> OH! Fortunately I believe I can get a new bulb socket locally
and get
>>>> the existing wiring plug soldered in to the replacement socket.
>>>> The bike will be down a day or two to get parts and get
>>>> the fix made.
>>>> At least I found it!
>>>> As soon as I figured it out - I was very relieved - I even
>>>> said "Ohm my God I'm glad thats it".
>>>> And you thought I was done with the puns!
>>>> -Joey
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> -Joey Kelley
>>>> JoeyKelley.com - My Life Online
>>>> JoeyFixesComputers.com - Its What I Do!
>>>> JoeyKelleyPhoto.com - Photographing Today, For Tomorrow
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google
>>>> Groups
>>>> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
>>>> To post to this group, send email to
[email protected].
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>>> [email protected].
>>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups
>>> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
>>> To post to this group, send email to
[email protected].
>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>> [email protected].
>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> -Joey Kelley
>> JoeyKelley.com - My Life Online
>> JoeyFixesComputers.com - Its What I Do!
>> JoeyKelleyPhoto.com - Photographing Today, For Tomorrow
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups
>> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
>> To post to this group, send email to
[email protected].
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> [email protected].
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the
Google Groups
> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
> To post to this group, send email to
[email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [email protected].
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>
>
--
-Joey Kelley
JoeyKelley.com - My Life Online
JoeyFixesComputers.com - Its What I Do!
JoeyKelleyPhoto.com - Photographing Today, For Tomorrow
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to
[email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nighthawk_lovers
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/
group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to
[email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nighthawk_lovers
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/
group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.