I have 42k on my '83 550 and I put the last 33k on it.
I have had the carbs off many many times, and have done just about 
everything to them. 
I have to agree with the guys. Don't do it until you have no choice. Don't 
do it until it is pretty clear that something in there is whacked or you 
have leaks.

55mpg, really? Where's The Fish! (wtf) That's effing great. I get 50+ on 
the highway and 45 when having fun around town.

If it idles nicely ignore the following 2 items:

   1. Make sure they are all synced. That is more important than anything 
   in my opinion. 
   2. Check to make sure one float is not allowing the gas level to rise 
   too high. Been there done that too. 30 years in the bowl can see some lose 
   their floaty-ness(?)
   

Then, without taking them apart you can add a washer to each needle, to 
jack the needles a little. The local Honda shop guys had me do that without 
hesitation. They reminded me that all carbs get leaner with years and so 
even if you are not seeing a problem you should jack them a little. It has 
definitely NOT been a bad thing, also not a night and day difference. Since 
choking is basically enriching then that made sense to me.

If you do take them apart, have a set, or at least one spare, bowl gasket 
from www.siriusconinc.com 
(http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=969). If you do 
not separate the carbs that may be all you need. Never stick anything in 
the tiny idle jet; use only chemicals and air.

OK, I just replaced my choke cable. I have very nice fine control over the 
choke and I am still a little amazed at how long I have to ride before I 
can shut the choke off altogether. For the first 5-10 miles at least I'll 
have the lever raised about 1/3.

It seems once you take them off you will be seeing the need to do it again 
and again for one reason or another. I don't know why that is, maybe it is 
just the confidence in knowing that now you can, but you want to put that 
off as long as possible.


ok, I'm going to bed! Hope that makes sense.


-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to