Richard,

The washer mod is simply putting one or two #4 washer to shim the needles
on each carb. You can get them at radio shack. It is very easy to do (but
you will need to take out or raise the tank to get to the inner carbs).
Most bikes come too lean from factory, due to the emissions regulations.
You can experiment placing one, two, or even 3 washers. If you have the OEM
exhaust, you could also try the "Tim Hodge Exhaust Mod" (you can google
it), which requires drilling the baffles to increase the air flow. Both
mods are very cheap, and relatively simple to do.

Javier.