> honestly, why do you want two drive shafts? The one transmits more than
> enough torque to the rear wheel and is half the maintenance.

1 - Symmetry. One lopsided motor is a bit janky.

2 - Balance. The motor is in line with the center of the driveshaft.
It makes the bike 100lbs heavy on the left side. Batteries will help,
but, lithium doesn't weight as much as steel and copper.

3 - Uniqueness/Challenge/Coolness. In my head, dual, mirrored motors
side by side would just look badass, and I don't think I've seen it
done anywhere.

4 - Controller help. Two smaller controllers are easier than one big
one. I'm having trouble finding a big enough controller.

5 - Redundancy. If anything happens to a motor/brush/etc, I've got another.

6 - Regen. I think it'd be easier to flip one motor into regen mode
than to flip the only motor into regen.

Seriously though, #3 is like, 75% of why I want to. With one motor it
looks like I've got a motor hanging off the bike like an abdominal
tumor. A pair of them looks awesome.

> Have it spin a tire underneath the bike like a gyroscope (self balancing)

That doesn't actually work like people think it does, that has nothing
to do with why a bike stays upright, also, it would prevent it from
going around corners (gyro would resist change to direction and act
like a giant tow rope dragging you in the same direction). Also, no,
stop, I don't need more ideas, I'm curious if my current idea is
feasible or impossible. :P