Ric

        I have a 1983 CB650sc and when I replaced the signal indicator
stanchions  the front lights would be on and when I turn the left or right
blinkers on they would go out and stay off. It confused me cause I just
replaced each blinker by unplugging it and its color coded so it all was
hooked up right. It turns out the box under the light that had the wiring
harness plugged into it that supplied power (at that moment ) broke and
power was not going to the blinker filiment at the front lights and the
back also. So if the running lights are on, Your ground should be fine
cause they use the same ground. I tested the voltage at the fuses and had
12 volts at the top and bottom of the fuse. but the blade that went down in
the box that the wiring harness plug's into was dead.
I am not sure what the brown wire is for I see you have a wiring harness
diagram and mine is different. I can send you pictures of it if you like.

DougJones