One thing I learned back when I had my 650 was that Mr Clymer will
absolutely lie to you and won't feel bad about it. I can't say if he's
right or not about the charging system, it's been too many years, I think
the biggest lie I found was with wiring diagram had some wire colors mixed
up.

That said, yes the 83-85 650 does not charge below 2500 RPM. There are tons
and tons of threads in the archives here regarding the charging systems,
several disagreements, lots of high level discussions about the comings and
doings of electrons and amps and ohms, but the one thing agreed on is it
doesn't charge at idle.

-Kyle