This story demonstrated an insufficient age'd ground contact between frame
and engine so I definitely don't want to remove the original ground cable
from the starter housing as this is by far the biggest load.
The second lead really doesn't hurt and ensures proper ground for any load
on the bike now.

The USB/Voltmeter is just one of dozens import devices with handlebar mount
found at many online dealer for less than 15 Bucks - nothing special but
sufficient to show a voltage trend.