<There's something I don't quite get about Nikon filters and hoods. Can't I
use are regular filter and the regular hood at the same time (e.g. 24mm
with 52mm Nikon polarizer and the 24mm's HN-1 hood)? Do I have to use the
special HN-12 hood to use with the filter? Also, if I do have to use the
HN-12, will is work if I use it with other 52mm filters such as the UV,
Orange, etc filters? Sorry if this is too simple but I'm just a bit
confused. Thanks guys!>

With Nikon's circ pol filter line ONLY, you need their special hood for
each circ pol filter. They built them with front ends wider than the thread
size to reduce the liklihood of vignetting on wide angle lenses, but in
their infinite unfallable wisdom, made the front ends non-standard sizes.

With any other filter, you can use the filter and the regular Nikon hood
(presuming you're not stacking them so deep as to cause vignetting).

Hope this is clear.

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com