> i just can't see why a nikon polarizer should be worth a single cent more
> than a B&W one
>
> to make a long story short, here's a pricing example from my last week's
> shopping experience:
>
> - - B&W circ polarizer, 72mm, DM 189,- (USD 112,-;  EUR 96,50)
> - - same thing named "nikon", 72mm, DM 349,- (USD 206,50; EUR 178,-)
>
> dear mr. nippon kogaku, tokyo, gimme a break!

As a matter of fact, I was just shopping for one of these.  I noticed that
B&W makes at least six different 72mm circular polarizers.  The one that
seemed most comparable to the Nikon is either the Multi-Coated or the Slim
Multi-Coated.  My supplier (B&H) sells them for US$125 and $168,
respectively.  They sell the Nikon for $124.95.

B&W obviously has a more diversified filter line than Nikon, but since Nikon
had what I wanted at a fair price, there seemed to be no compelling reason
to put another brand on my Nikon lenses.  (I bought a Nikon.)

Joel