>to make a long story short, here's a pricing example from my last week's
>shopping experience:
>
>- - B&W circ polarizer, 72mm, DM 189,- (USD 112,-;  EUR 96,50)
>- - same thing named "nikon", 72mm, DM 349,- (USD 206,50; EUR 178,-)
>
>dear mr. nippon kogaku, tokyo, gimme a break!

Nikon simply does not it all
I don't know whether nikon filters are Hoya re-labelled filters or are
truly nikkor glass
but Nikon makes you pay a charge for the label Nikon and I expect universal
filter brands to
offer the same products at lower price due to higher volume productions
B+W filters are known for their optical and especially (IMHO) mechanical
quality but they are
expensive too if compared with universal filter japanese brands.
Don't trust on this and I'd really like a feedback but I read somewhere
that Schneider glass
provider is Schott that gets tha glass from Hoya japan.
Schneider filters are expensive, but I find them a superior product
in terms of mechanical and sometimes optical quality.

Massimiliano Marchetti

web page: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/8043