hi matt,

you're right - i compared the B&H prices to those i cited in my posting
(foto klinke, berlin, friedrichstrasse). the gap between the b+w and the
nikon circular polarizer is exactly $ 30.95 - not that much as it is in
germany. and the smaller the filter diameter, the smaller the pricing
difference.

in case you need a 72mm polarizer (e.g. for the 1.4/85 or the 2.8/180 -
these are the lenses i bought the b+w pola for), the wider front end (?) of
a nikon model does hardly play a role - even with the original hoods (HN-12
or the built-in one with the 180) vignetting doesn't look like a problem to
me. correct me, if i'm wrong.

what i really wanted to lay stress on is that some nikon prices sound
reasonable to me - as well as others DO NOT. maybe the polarizer was not the
best example. rather think of the sc-17 flash cord: it's around $ 50 in the
US, and $ 60 in germany - and it's nothing more than a simple cable with
plugs at both ends. does that sound reasonable to you?

or take a look at the F3 HP. i don't know the US price, but the street price
in germany for that dino: DM 3,295 ($ 1,950), with a clear tendency to even
increase. reasonable? AFAIK, the F3 is about 19 years old, and has not
significantly been changed since that time. to me the price would sound more
reasonable if they added e.g. a top shutter speed of, say 1/4000, a flash
sync speed of 1/250 and a fully operational hot shoe on the prism. or if you
think of the AH-3 tripod mount for the MD-4 motor drive: a - solid indeed -
piece of alloy with a screw in it: 30 bucks at B&H, around 40 in germany.
reasonable?

please don't misunderstand me: i own an F3, i use it, it never let me down -
i just love it. a hit is still a hit, as time goes by. and i really would
appreciate if nikon continued it's production for another 20 years. play it
again and again, sam. but does that make the price sound more reasonable?

nikon is definetely not the most expensive camera manufacturer; compared
with leica, nikon products are price crackers. but sometimes i can't help
getting a little angry about their policy. my fault, indeed. the motto seems
to be: take it or leave it. so far for now.

thanks for your posting,
regards,

andreas