> Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 00:38:53 -0700 (MST)
> From: Bryce Robert Hashizume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Nikon lens on Nikon camera [v04.n302/11]
>
> On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:51:45 +1300 David Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > Oh! Wait a second! The Nikon [70-300 ED] is actually a rebadged Tamron.
> >
> > Has this ever been confirmed by a reliable source?  All I have ever heard
> > so far has been hearsay on this subject.
>
> Given that there are the same number of groups in the same number of
> elements and the optical formula looks the same according to the diagrams,
> and the lenses have the same physical dimensions and the same look and
> feel, and the same zoom and focus mechanisms, I think it is safe to say
> they are the same.

        Of course this doesn't say the *glass* is the same.  "ED" is Nikon's
        glass, manufactured by Nikon.  The Tamron lens sure doesn't say "ED."
        Either Nikon wouldn't give Tamron the rights to label their lens as
        such, or indeed the Tamron lens has "Tamron" glass, and the Nikkor
        has Nikon's glass.  I'm betting it's the latter.

Chris
--
Some of life's most exciting moments   | Christopher Somers
 are spent near the middle of the      | Rise Technology