>>much use for the low guide number pop-up flashes. The new Minolta pro
camera
>>(9xi?) does have a pop-up flash, though.
>
>The 9xi is Minolta's old pro model that does not have a pop up flash. I
don't
>remember the new model's designation. Anyway, even Minolta stated explicitly
>that they didn't put a pop-up on the 9xi because it would compromise the
>camera body's strength. When they put one on the new pro camera, I thought
that
>was odd.

The new pro Minolta is the Maxxum 9 in the US.  You are right in that it
seems odd that they would put on a built-in flash when the previous pro
body (9xi) lacked one for structural purposes.  But you have to consider
the fact that the built-in flash housing is stainless steel, and the
stainless steel shell of the 9 is much more rugged than the polycarbonate
9xi.  The built-in flash serves two professional functions: it controls
wireless flash units (this is its primary function) and it serves as an
emergency flash unit when none is available (not that many professional
photographers, such as photojournalists, would be caught dead without a
real flash).

Dan N.