> Of course Python being taught in schools and universities helps its
> popularity, but I don't think at all it's the only or even main reason for
> the popularity.

The other reason of course is around the time python was introduced the main
languages being used were C, C++ and Java (not counting other scripting
languages like PHP and Perl that were mainly for web work)… so its no surprise
it took off, because everybody really, was just waiting for it.

And to be honest I don't find Python that more readable, having a long def
start to edge over to the right side of the screen because of all the
indentation is certainly no more readable than the same def would be if it had
braces inbetween but with all the code on the left side, and the braces on
separate lines. Braces to split code never bothered me, however having to put
semi-colons at the end of most lines did and certainly never added anything to
the readability of C, C++, Java, PHP, Perl... etc, etc