> "gtkmm" which is a C++ wrapper and I'm quite sure it uses C++ destructors.

That is a fine hint. I don't know much about gtkmm, so I am not sure if they
really use C++ destructors or just plain gtk internal ref counting as C does.
Will ask Mr E.Bassi at gtk forum.

Found comment of mratsim:

[https://forum.nim-lang.org/t/4797#30036](https://forum.nim-lang.org/t/4797#30036)

> Shouldn't context stay a ref object? It's not a type that you can trivially
> copy (i.e. it's a resource like memory, a socket, a file handle, not an
> integer or string).

My impression was that Destructors works best for stack objects. But I can
imagine that with Destructors one theoretically can write a custom memory
management system which supports some form of GC_ref(), then it may work for
gtk.

> finalizers are attached to the "new" call which sucks;

Interesting, other people said that in the past too. I think finalizers
attached to the types would be fine for gtk.