Well I can speak from personal experience, being that I own an Eee PC
(although I have a 701).  The Xandros built in OS was very quick and
booted in literally 15-20 seconds, but menu system among other things
(it's ugly) forced me to seek other distros.  For a while I used
eeeXubuntu, which had some modifications of your standard Xubuntu
install to work better with Eee and have since moved to Ubuntu Eee
(http://www.ubuntu-eee.com
) and am currently running it with quite some satisfaction.  I can't
seem to figure out how to get hibernate to work, but other than that
it's great.  I'd be glad to bring my Eee to the next meeting and you
can take a look at it.